And... They're Off!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: And... They're Off!

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:56 pm

Thanks! I await in anticipation.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:15 pm

I think everyone has their bait set, line in the water hoping to catch the big one. Oppps the sign says "Dead Sea"

All this talk and excitement because the credit rating dropped. What? Y'all not think the government knew that was going to happen? Obama has it under control. He has all the right people on all the right places doing this for all the right reasons.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby WizardTN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:25 pm

....and as HK sticks it's finger in the mix...
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:40 pm

Look like they like silver a bit better than gold for now - of course knowing that it's a relative bargin at the moment.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby hobo finds » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:42 pm

less than a hour for China markets. http://money.cnn.com/data/world_markets/asia/
hobo finds

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:47 pm

Oddly, Nikkei seems to be holding at -1%. Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking at.
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby WizardTN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:55 pm

Don't try to understand it. Too many different mindsets at work here. Just hope it doesn't turn into a lemming rush.
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:56 pm

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Oddly, Nikkei seems to be holding at -1%. Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking at.

It opened a couple percent lower but is currently trending up.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EN225
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby hobo finds » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:03 pm

lemming rush. Isn't that a dish in China! We will see...
hobo finds

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:13 pm

I consider it unlikely we'll make up for Thursday just on tonight... but I'd be fairly content if we hold the current price level thru whatever happens tomorrow. Higher is better, but I'm not greedy :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:17 pm

68Camaro wrote:Look like they like silver a bit better than gold for now - of course knowing that it's a relative bargin at the moment.

And they're off again. Silver leading this time.
68Camaro

Postby WizardTN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:25 pm

It's beginning to look more like a London opening than HK. Sheeeesh
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:59 pm

68Camaro wrote:
OneBiteAtATime wrote:Oddly, Nikkei seems to be holding at -1%. Maybe I don't understand what I'm looking at.

It opened a couple percent lower but is currently trending up.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=%5EN225

After that first bit, it's been trending down. Still above the open (barely), and oscillating a bit, but trend is down, nearly 1.4% now, and we're only an hour and half into their day.
68Camaro

Postby hobo finds » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:03 pm

hobo finds wrote:lemming rush. Isn't that a dish in China! We will see...

OK wrong it's a band in England...
hobo finds

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:05 pm

HK and Singapore are down 2x from Nikkei, for whatever reason. -2.5% to -2.7%
68Camaro

Postby WizardTN » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:10 pm

If London winds up adding to this, NY better call out the Lemming Police. I hear that they have been drilling them in herding protocols over on the Palisades in NJ. :P
WizardTN
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Was staying up a bit to see if I could witness gold crossing 1700, but it's retreating again slightly, I'm tired and my patience has run out. Will have to see what morning brings. I'm sure TPTB are working feverishly behind the scenes to try to control the drops. Dow futures are down only 2% or so. If they keep the loss to 2-4% on Monday, they will have done their job for the moment. Good night all...
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:14 pm

I just hope both metals hold their gains thru the NY open. Desperate sellers of equities in search of another asset class can then cast about for another asset class holding it's ground (or even GAINING) and shower more money into further gains. ;)
beauanderos

Postby Oakair » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:14 pm

1700 coming up soon!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:44 pm

1699.70 I have to stop reloading the spot price!
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:45 pm

There it is, 1700, I can go to bed now.
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby theo » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:58 pm

It looks like tomorrow will be incredibly volatile. The administration attempted to discredit S&P this weekend, but it doesn't look like investors are buying it for now. If Moody's and Fitch both maintain their ratings the "S&P is irresponsible" claims might gain some credibility in the short term. Many fund managers might stick with treasuries, claiming that the S&P downrgrade is an aberation. Afterall Warren Buffet claims the U.S. deserves an AAAA rating. Therefore the thing to watch is what Moody's and Fitch do this week. If one or both join S&P in the near future there could be a real panic.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Just wondering.... Why is plat only 30ish dollars off gold?
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:20 pm

rsk1963 wrote:Just wondering.... Why is plat only 30ish dollars off gold?

Don't fear... American Platinum Eagles are going to rule the world someday. At least I assume... that's what the new movie is about? :? Rise of the Planet of the APE's? Image
beauanderos

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:31 pm

beauanderos wrote:Don't fear... American Platinum Eagles are going to rule the world someday. At least I assume... that's what the new movie is about? :? Rise of the Planet of the APE's? Image

:shock:

LOL clearly it is time for APEs to rule the world
those that sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither

the bee...gathers it's materials from the flowers of the garden and of the field, but transforms and digests it by a power of it's own.
rsk1963
Post Hoarder

PreviousNext

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals