Tuesday...Crude Oil is the bargain

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Tuesday...Crude Oil is the bargain

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 am

If i was a size player, the "bargain" would be Crude Oil, imo...you would do naked longs, and a mix of "2 piece" amd "3 piece" front spreads, what those are is you buy Sep oil $1.40 under selling Dec oil against it, thats a 3 piece, and to buy Oct Oil a dollar under selling Dec oil thats a 2 piece...."size" would mean doing this in 100 to 500 car lots up to the max position....you'd be looking for .50 profit a car. also buying naked Oct and Nov longs below 80 would be good intermediate term trades, you could get 10.00 dollars profit per car....it'd be a wild ride for sure, but Crude is the ultimate tangible. alonger term bull crude spread would be a 6 piece, buying Jan Crude 2.50 to 3 dollars under selling June 12 crude against it, that could yield a 1.50 profit...in size. Dont think that there aren't guys this morning strategizing such trades. Big oil has a lot of money and some GOOD traders.

if i stayed, and was a size player, thats what i would do....today.

if i was an equites player, i'd be going for stocks . big caps with P/E's under 10, grocery, pharma amd agri concerns.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Tuesday...Crude Oil is the bargain

Postby barrytrot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:56 am

What is a "naked long"?
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:03 am

barrytrot wrote:What is a "naked long"?

Agreeing to sell something which you don't own at a future date for a higher price.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby barrytrot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

Ok, so selling the option. I.e. a short option.

Ok, thanks.
barrytrot

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:06 am

barrytrot wrote:Ok, so selling the option. I.e. a short option.

Ok, thanks.

Yep, a long option.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:38 am

neil can correct me on terminology 'cause I'm only a very basic simple-minded trader, so I had to go look up details to be able to explain this part of it, but a "naked" futures position is one that is not "hedged" from risk. And a hedge is a position where you offset risk by buying or selling a future (at a price) in direction opposite your risk.

For example, if you have a item that you've bought (long) at value and want to ensure that you can sell it later at a higher value, you can try to sell a hedge at a higher future price (assuming someone will accept that price at the future date, which means they are betting that the price will not go up).

As I understand it, most institutional investors selling shorts will buy offsetting longs to minimize their risk. A naked short is someone that doesn't offset. When the silver naked shorts do this in large quantities they affect the price.

If I've got this wrong someone can correct me. It makes my head spin a bit... ;)
68Camaro

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:20 pm

barrytrot wrote:What is a "naked long"?

it means i buy the commodity...go long....most of my crew were spreaders, which meant for instance, we would be long (bought) July 2012 Corn say 80cents over selling (short) Dec 2012 Corn.

when i said go naked long that meant buying Oct Crude this morning at 78.84, which would have been a very good day.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals