Purchased on eBay. What is it? PRIZE

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Purchased on eBay. What is it? PRIZE

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Tell me what the alloy turned out to be of this "one Tallar" and be exact........ Free Silver War Nick to first correct guess.

Have fun:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0823836765

This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Purchased on eBay. What is it? PRIZE

Postby Corsair » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 pm

100% Adamantium.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:05 pm

9 karat gold. REPUBLIC OF CAMALA: This is a small, 1 Tallar gold piece, dated 1853. The coin came mounted on a 9-karat gold ring, which actually happens to be its “natural setting”. According to Mr. Mike Locke, these “Tallar tokens were struck in England for use in the jewelry trade, circa 1980.” An apparent jeweler's fantasy, these coins have also appeared on pendants. A similar piece, dated 1854, exists from the “Republic of Malaca” (not to be confused with Malacca, a Malay sultanate). Note that the only difference between the names “Camala” and “Malaca” is merely the result of a single syllable being switched to different positions. Another Tallar, dated 1853, exists from the “United States of America”. So what is a “Tallar”, anyway? One Web-site claims that it was an “Egyptian unit equal to 20 Piastres” (and that an Ashrafi was “formerly one third of a Tallar”). Another person maintains that it is the Afrikaans word for Dollar (which itself originated with a 16th century coin known as the “Joachimstaler” — a shortened, far-reaching version of this name, Taler/Thaler, was eventually altered to Daler/Daalder). Whatever the case may be, the word “Tallar” has several historical variants which share similar spellings; these include Talar/Talara (Poland), Talaro (Ethiopia), Talirion (Greece), Tallero (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Italian states, Ragusa), Tolar (Bohemia, Slovenia), as well as the previously noted Taler and Thaler
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:13 pm

beauanderos wrote:9 karat gold. REPUBLIC OF CAMALA: This is a small, 1 Tallar gold piece, dated 1853. The coin came mounted on a 9-karat gold ring, which actually happens to be its “natural setting”. According to Mr. Mike Locke, these “Tallar tokens were struck in England for use in the jewelry trade, circa 1980.” An apparent jeweler's fantasy, these coins have also appeared on pendants. A similar piece, dated 1854, exists from the “Republic of Malaca” (not to be confused with Malacca, a Malay sultanate). Note that the only difference between the names “Camala” and “Malaca” is merely the result of a single syllable being switched to different positions. Another Tallar, dated 1853, exists from the “United States of America”. So what is a “Tallar”, anyway? One Web-site claims that it was an “Egyptian unit equal to 20 Piastres” (and that an Ashrafi was “formerly one third of a Tallar”). Another person maintains that it is the Afrikaans word for Dollar (which itself originated with a 16th century coin known as the “Joachimstaler” — a shortened, far-reaching version of this name, Taler/Thaler, was eventually altered to Daler/Daalder). Whatever the case may be, the word “Tallar” has several historical variants which share similar spellings; these include Talar/Talara (Poland), Talaro (Ethiopia), Talirion (Greece), Tallero (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Italian states, Ragusa), Tolar (Bohemia, Slovenia), as well as the previously noted Taler and Thaler

Darn internet ruining everyone’s fun.

Well I didn’t know that info. (and I say thanks for that). I just thought it was cool and purchased it as an impulse.
Electrical tester put it at 10k. Wow was I surprised. $11.45 for 1.2 grams of 10k gold.

Ray, Nickel is on its way in the morning. Cheater. :lol:
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Slaphot » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:59 am

That's a nice pick up Doc!
Slaphot
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:17 am

Rodebaugh wrote:
beauanderos wrote:9 karat gold. REPUBLIC OF CAMALA: This is a small, 1 Tallar gold piece, dated 1853. The coin came mounted on a 9-karat gold ring, which actually happens to be its “natural setting”. According to Mr. Mike Locke, these “Tallar tokens were struck in England for use in the jewelry trade, circa 1980.” An apparent jeweler's fantasy, these coins have also appeared on pendants. A similar piece, dated 1854, exists from the “Republic of Malaca” (not to be confused with Malacca, a Malay sultanate). Note that the only difference between the names “Camala” and “Malaca” is merely the result of a single syllable being switched to different positions. Another Tallar, dated 1853, exists from the “United States of America”. So what is a “Tallar”, anyway? One Web-site claims that it was an “Egyptian unit equal to 20 Piastres” (and that an Ashrafi was “formerly one third of a Tallar”). Another person maintains that it is the Afrikaans word for Dollar (which itself originated with a 16th century coin known as the “Joachimstaler” — a shortened, far-reaching version of this name, Taler/Thaler, was eventually altered to Daler/Daalder). Whatever the case may be, the word “Tallar” has several historical variants which share similar spellings; these include Talar/Talara (Poland), Talaro (Ethiopia), Talirion (Greece), Tallero (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Italian states, Ragusa), Tolar (Bohemia, Slovenia), as well as the previously noted Taler and Thaler

Darn internet ruining everyone’s fun.

Well I didn’t know that info. (and I say thanks for that). I just thought it was cool and purchased it as an impulse.
Electrical tester put it at 10k. Wow was I surprised. $11.45 for 1.2 grams of 10k gold.

Ray, Nickel is on its way in the morning. Cheater. :lol:

Bro, I'm insulted. I came up with that off the top of my head :lol: Actually, if it was Hoardie... that would be true! :mrgreen:
beauanderos

Postby NHsorter » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:19 am

nice ebay score! congrats
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:37 am

Yeah buying something cool looking and just got lucky.

Market Harmony will end up with it soon enough.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby VWBEAMER » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:48 pm

COOL. :D

what's it worth in gold value?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:07 pm

Congo_line.gif
Congo_line.gif (10.91 KiB) Viewed 422 times
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:13 pm

68Camaro wrote:Image

Ok... now that is just plain too COOL! "I now proclaim ye, King of Smiley Mountain"
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:26 pm

just for you!
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:53 pm

VWBEAMER wrote:COOL. :D

what's it worth in gold value?

$25.32 @ $1750 spot. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby uthminsta » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:47 pm

So did you send it off to MH? Or eBay? Or maybe wanna put it up here?
uthminsta

Postby Oakair » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:54 pm

uthminsta wrote:So did you send it off to MH? Or eBay? Or maybe wanna put it up here?

He sold it on here as far as I know...

I tried to buy it, but was sniped :evil: haha
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:59 pm

yep, a guy in PA got it at less than spot and it wasn't Darth Melter.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals