Morgans or ASE?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Morgans or ASE?

Postby GA-Silver » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Oz for OZ, would you rather have Morgans (commons) or ASEs?
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Re: Morgans or ASE?

Postby aristobolus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Canadian Maples...they are Five dollars face value just in case.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby GA-Silver » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Good point.....
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Morgans:
melt + premium................ Check
possible numismatic value.....Check

ASEs:
melt + premium................Check
possible numismatic value.....nope

Astrobolus: I thought the same thing at one time, but I decided that face value has little to no relevance. No one with sound mind would trade in their Silver Maple for 2 toonies and a loonie. That holds true no matter the spot price $40 to 40 cents. True, It could be done.....but I can also spend a roll of indian cents on a can of soda pop.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Oakair » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 pm

Morgs to the Morgue!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby justj2k78 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:43 pm

I realize you said "ounce for ounce", but to me, the actual OUNCE holds the allure.

I like the ASE because it is a 1-ounce, .999 silver, government issue, uber-recognizable coin. Very simple. My silver plan could not be any more vanilla.

I do have a couple Morgans that are a part of an old stash my grandparents had, but I've never had the urge to add to it. They're good looking coins. It's hard to argue with owning them. But on the downside (and really, is it a downside?), it is .78 (maybe?) ounce, .90 silver, uber-recognizable coin.

It seems that there are several instances of Morgan dollars being counterfeit and sold on Ebay, and through other channels. I don't know that this occurs more often with the Morgan Dollar than with the ASE. Very small sample size based on a few postings on this and other interweb forums.

In the end, it's a great choice to be "burdened" with. I don't think there's a wrong answer.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:45 pm

I've never sold an ASE.

Sold a pile of morgans though.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:13 pm

Thogey wrote:I've never sold an ASE.

Sold a pile of morgans though.

It really depends on the condition of the Morgan. There's nothing like a Morgan that still has original luster.
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aristobolus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:Morgans:
melt + premium................ Check
possible numismatic value.....Check

ASEs:
melt + premium................Check
possible numismatic value.....nope

Astrobolus: I thought the same thing at one time, but I decided that face value has little to no relevance. No one with sound mind would trade in their Silver Maple for 2 toonies and a loonie. That holds true no matter the spot price $40 to 40 cents. True, It could be done.....but I can also spend a roll of indian cents on a can of soda pop.

I understand, but what I am talking about is a possible apocalyptic future market where the price of silver is manipulated down to next to nothing. Possible in theorty, yes. Probable? I doubt it. Still for me it tips the balance in favor of Maples.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 am

i cant envision a situation where the 5 buck face value will be more than the metal content.

maples will be less liquid among the uninformed than u.s. issue.

a $2 premium on morgans at .76 oz is equiv to a $2.59 premium on ASEs.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:12 am

ASEs aren't much more than a government-minted silver round. They've been monetized with the value of one US$ to add to their credibility. Nice looking, but they're a still a method by which the Mint is able to make a profit, create jobs, etc. I feel pretty much the same about an Engelhard Prospector as I do an ASE.

Morgans have history and character. Think of where they've traveled before reaching your stack. Could have been part of someone's daily wages, tossed in a church offering plate, slid across a bar, a gift from a grandparent and on and on. Use your imagination.

I'd much rather have a safe full of MS65 (or better) examples, but hold a well worn example from 130 years ago in your hands. Feel the smoothness and let your mind wander. Priceless.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:29 am

Know Common Cents wrote:ASEs aren't much more than a government-minted silver round. They've been monetized with the value of one US$ to add to their credibility. Nice looking, but they're a still a method by which the Mint is able to make a profit, create jobs, etc. I feel pretty much the same about an Engelhard Prospector as I do an ASE.

Morgans have history and character. Think of where they've traveled before reaching your stack. Could have been part of someone's daily wages, tossed in a church offering plate, slid across a bar, a gift from a grandparent and on and on. Use your imagination.

I'd much rather have a safe full of MS65 (or better) examples, but hold a well worn example from 130 years ago in your hands. Feel the smoothness and let your mind wander. Priceless.

Now thats a good post.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:50 am

I like both. If having a face value floor was a big concern then a person should hoard 40% half dollars. There are no permanent guarantees on that face value. I seem to remember that back when silver got really low and all of us should have been buying more.. the melt value of the 1976 Olympic coins got below their face value. When folks started cashing them in, I believe our neighbors to the north demonotized them. I would like to buy a stack of them at face value now. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:50 am

I like the history of Morgan dollars; also you are buying a possible semi-numismatic coin for the average run of the mill circulated ones.

How many have been melted down in the jump up in silver price? We may not know for years down the road.

If I had the choice to buy a nice circulated one at melt, I would much rather buy a Morgan than pay the premium for an ASE.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby GA-Silver » Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:51 pm

The reason I posted this question is because I have a chance to trade some ASEs for some Morgans, with 90% junk silver thrown my way to make up the difference in the weight. My buddy has 2 Morgans. I offered to trade him 2 ASEs for his 2 Morgans and 3 40% half dollars. Its bascially a silver for silver trade......
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby cuag » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:48 pm

That is basically a spot-for-spot trade, but for personal preference I wouldn't want 40% making up the difference. He is acquiring your ASE's for right at spot when they usually command a higher premium than common Morgans. 40% is usually discounted from spot also. Its not a bad deal though if you like the Morgans, he might be coming out a little ahead though, but not by more than a couple bucks. I've never paid over spot for common Morgans and have had reasonable luck finding them at or below spot at antique malls that were behind the spot price. That was 6 months ago though...

If you like like the Morgans he has, go for it, they are certainly rarer than ASEs.
cuag

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:58 pm

GA-Silver wrote:The reason I posted this question is because I have a chance to trade some ASEs for some Morgans, with 90% junk silver thrown my way to make up the difference in the weight. My buddy has 2 Morgans. I offered to trade him 2 ASEs for his 2 Morgans and 3 40% half dollars. Its bascially a silver for silver trade......

That is the exact opposite of my typical deal. I'm always trying to trade 90% for ASEs. So, not that you asked, and not that things have to be done my way, but I wouldn't be overly excited to do that trade.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:04 pm

ya, ASE's command a higher premium over spot...Just look around online for general prices...I would try and squeeze a bit more than spot for spot out of that trade, but of course, it all comes down to preference
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm a 50/50 person. If I had 5 rolls of ASE's and 4 of Morgs... I'd go for getting a roll of Morgs. As for Maples... I don't collect "money" that doesn't say "In God We Trust" on it. I don't have any problems with Maples though... Just my preference.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:58 pm

I have gone back and forth on this one myself. I started out as a coin collector, so I love the hundred + year old coin mystique, but I also love the .999 AEs. I would have to say that, all else being equal, I would like a few Morgans for collecting purposes, but as for "stacking", I'm going with AEs. (or Maples)
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby GA-Silver » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 am

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I should keep my ASEs and just try to trade him some 90% junk silver for his Morgans. I will offer him a little better trade for an OZ. for OZ trade.
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Postby highroller4321 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:45 am

ASE. You pay a premium for morgans when they have less than an ounce.
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby GA-Silver » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:39 am

I counter offered to trade him 10 40% halfs and 2 silver rosies for his 2 morgans. I think he might bite.
GA-Silver
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals