Is silver doing what you expected?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Is silver doing what you expected?

Postby Pennybug » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:39 pm

NOT ME! I thought silver might falter with the stocks a little then jump in on golds boat (and gold would go off like a rocket). What did you expect? What to you see happening by Friday? Me... gold will be near or over $1800... Silver... ????... heck... who knows??? It's becoming the red headed step child of the metals market. I may be just as well off to invest in Kellogg's Frosted Flakes as silver this week. :lol:
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: Is silver doing what you expected?

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Silver will continue to be manipulated until the shorts run out of physical and their ponzi scheme gets put flat on their butts. Their time is coming, but it's not yet.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:42 pm

Gold up to 1739 Silver down below 39...

Hopefully we see a short term plummet for silver, but we all know where this thing is headed...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:48 pm

It's holding up better than copper, which has fallen 10 cents/lb per day for 6 or 7 straight days.

But you're right...no rise for silver. Conversely, if (big if) there is any hopeful economic news coming at some point, silver will fall faster and steeper than gold.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:05 pm

With the POG still rockin' silver has been caught in the downdraft. I admit to being surprised today at the small nudge forward on silver's closing price. I had much higher expectations. Just a matter of time, though, before Ag becomes a market force, too. Unlikely that Joe and Josephine Sixpack can afford gold at $1700 and upward into the Stratosphere. Silver is next in line for the throne. Any and all available funds went into the Au market as one final act of wealth survival and piece of mind.

If we continue to see a couple more days of the Dow being smacked down 600+ points and the POG up dramatically, all bets are off and we're all flying blind by that time.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Hang in there on silver guys. It'll have its day again. It ain't doing too bad - its hanging in there, and there will be an upside. Have you already forgotten that many people - just 4 months ago - were skeptical that we would ever see $40 silver? Much less that it would stick there despite massive manipulation and abuse of the market.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Country » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:28 pm

BTE - Actually, I thought SILVER would get trashed along with stocks. I did think US Treasuries would appreciate right from the get go. The flight to GOLD is trememdous. After SILVER settled around $33, I thought the next leg up with be lead by GOLD, with SILVER following behind.

History is being made as we watch the drama unfolding. We are witnessing the unravelling of the current financial system. Good Luck to ALL here at RealCent.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Lemon Thrower » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:07 am

i expected PTB to shake silver down to 35 or less.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:22 am

Silver is showing its industrial side; with the world wide economy slowing down this affects silver's price.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:26 am

Recently I have been getting a little discouraged with putting so much stock into something that's so easily controlled and manipulated by TPTB. Thinking about moving more into gold if there is a significant price dip soon. What would need to happen for the manipulators to not be able to manipulate with so much effectiveness?
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:02 pm

silver will plummet with stocks, at least to an extent. I'm waiting for this as a buying opportunity. If for some reason this doesn't happen, it's not a big deal. I've got more than plenty. But I expect it to fall with stocks. However it will be the first to recover, and by a far greater percentage than stocks. Just remember that while gold is a safe haven, silver is not only industrial, but it's an investment metal, much more so than gold.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby WileE » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:16 am

It appears to me that the Big Boys are beating up on silver to control the escalating gold price. A 46:1 ratio looks attractive to me!
There'll be time enough for counting when the sorting's done
WileE
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:49 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:i expected PTB to shake silver down to 35 or less.

why not?...sounds good to me, except the retail mkt is still boiling.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:59 am

I think that there is a fairly good chance that we see $41 silver today, 8/10
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby knibloe » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:01 am

Market harmony,

Congrats on 2000 posts!!
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 am

knibloe wrote:Market harmony,

Congrats on 2000 posts!!

Geez-a-reenie... I'm on here too much :mrgreen:
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Lemon Thrower » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:12 am

price discovery for silver happens on the comex; retail is irrelvant to the spot price but does impact physical premiums.

big picture, we have risk off in the markets now. soon, i expect QE3 or similar to be announced or take effect. at that time, equities and silver should catch up.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:30 pm

No, silver is not doing what I expected at all. I keep thinking it will stabilize at $50 and then build from there. Too much interference by TPTB, Big Brother, or both in tandum.

But, I am having fun anyway! :D Agora Financial is burning up my email box telling me what I already know. BUY, BUY, BUY SILVER!

I am shopping to land now. Looking at all the foreclosed and short sale lands I can. Almost every empty house I have looked at has had the copper A/C condenser coil ripped out. Gotta start a thread on that. I am dumbfounded by what I have seen.

HI YO, SILVER! AWAY!!!
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:57 pm

Good folks of Realcent, I don't post often, I was a lurker before I became a member and am still somewhat of a lurker. But, to my point - anybody as scared as I am? Yes, hoarding silver and gold for the last 12 years has been great and everything seems to be coming to fruition for guys like me who started reading Ted Butler and Jim Rogers a decade ago and followed their common sense. BUT, the reason these PM's are rising is because everything else is cracking. It's like a catch 22 - yes I want the value of the assets I accumulated to go up, but no, I do not want the failure of the finacial systems in Europe and here to go haywire. It's not going to be smooth. Catch my drift? Anyhow, I am a little scared. Sorry to be a downer. You guys are great and not a day goes by that I am not readiong these discussion threads about all things silver/gold/copper. Comments?
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:27 pm

silverflake wrote:Good folks of Realcent, I don't post often, I was a lurker before I became a member and am still somewhat of a lurker. But, to my point - anybody as scared as I am? Yes, hoarding silver and gold for the last 12 years has been great and everything seems to be coming to fruition for guys like me who started reading Ted Butler and Jim Rogers a decade ago and followed their common sense. BUT, the reason these PM's are rising is because everything else is cracking. It's like a catch 22 - yes I want the value of the assets I accumulated to go up, but no, I do not want the failure of the finacial systems in Europe and here to go haywire. It's not going to be smooth. Catch my drift? Anyhow, I am a little scared. Sorry to be a downer. You guys are great and not a day goes by that I am not readiong these discussion threads about all things silver/gold/copper. Comments?

Hi Silverflake,

Yes, we are all concerned to one level or another. With few exceptions, we would all rather the economy be roaring along and gold at $250 and silver at $4.25 like it was a decade ago. But, that is not our reality now, is it? This is happening with or without us. We might as well rejoice our preparations will help take care of us in the days ahead.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby hejira11 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Market Harmony wrote:
knibloe wrote:Market harmony,

Congrats on 2000 posts!!

Geez-a-reenie... I'm on here too much :mrgreen:

Congrats Market Harmony! :)
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Conga rats, Michael... on your 2000th post. :D Well, we can guess what comes next, right? Contest, contest, contest. In fact, this will be a one day to get your guesses in to beat the deadline Contest. :o Guess when Gold will first touch $1900. Winner gets a BU 2000 Silver American Eagle :mrgreen: Post in contest forum. :)

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7669
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby hejira11 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:48 pm

I was expecting 50-75.00 Silver and frankly I am miffed it is not, AT THE VERY LEAST, at its April/May high. I am only slightly consoled that it is remaining stable.
hejira11
Penny Collector Member

Postby Luoganta » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:59 am

Silver's done pretty much what I expected but not exactly.

I figured a good run up while the debit celling issues was being fought - which it did ran up to about 42.

I figured a fair sell off after an agreement...Didn't happen.

I figured the S&P would NOT down grade the credit rating...which it did...THEN the sell off happened. Down to about 36-37 ish if i remember correctly?

I figured a jump up with the socks being down...which isn't happening, at least not like I had it mapped out in my head.

1 Thing I didnt take into account at all was people selling silver and buying gold.
Luoganta
Penny Sorter Member

Postby twentybux » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Silver has done exactly what I thought it would but only different. :lol:
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals