Average Scrap price on Sterling Silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Average Scrap price on Sterling Silver?

Postby Henchman » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:50 pm

I have never scrapped anything.... yet. Talked to a guy today about an estate sale and apparently there is like 10k in sterling available. Apparently the people selling have a 10 lb solid sterling vase or something, guy said the collection is pretty insane. I offered to buy some before the sale and he's going to get back to me. I have to do some research for a scrap yard around my area. Just thought I check here first for average prices.

Whats average price for Sterling at scrap yards?

Cheers,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Average Scrap price on Sterling Silver?

Postby Somnophore » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:54 pm

Scrap yards are for base metals, I'd offer 10-20% below spot and see what you can get it for.
Somnophore
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:35 pm

search completed recent auctions on ebay or contact a smelter.remember to subtract ebays fees when figuring what the buy price is,seller loose 10% plus with paypal combined.you never get melt.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby justoneguy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:47 pm

10 lbs of sterling is worth about $5250 today.
try this site>
http://www.silverrecyclers.com/Calculat ... lator.aspx
We can ignore reality but we can’t ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.

The truth will set you free,
but first it's really going to piss you off.
justoneguy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Dumpster Diver » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:21 pm

Send it to Michael at Market Harmony and have him turn it into some sweet .999 bars for you.
marketharmony.net
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RR GUY » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 pm

Most likely the object you mentioned was made in the Victorian era and with such weight may have been made by one of the finer American silversmiths or by a British silversmith with four hallmarks. You will need a book of hallmarks to determine the maker and date. Melting an object like this will be a big mistake as its value as an object of the 19th century decorative arts will far exceed its melt value. Once you have purchased it you should bring it to an appraiser or auction house to obtain its value. You may be suprised.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:58 am

I have no complaints about the service that I provide to many realcent clients. If you would like to learn more about what I can do to help you in this situation, then please feel free to contact me directly: 412-468-4653. My company is Market Harmony, can be found at http://marketharmony.net and my name is Mike. :D
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:32 am

RR GUY wrote:Most likely the object you mentioned was made in the Victorian era and with such weight may have been made by one of the finer American silversmiths or by a British silversmith with four hallmarks. You will need a book of hallmarks to determine the maker and date. Melting an object like this will be a big mistake as its value as an object of the 19th century decorative arts will far exceed its melt value. Once you have purchased it you should bring it to an appraiser or auction house to obtain its value. You may be suprised.

Did you see the article on coinflation the other day about sterling silver antiques being melted down?

The article talked about how even many Victorian era antiques are being melted down because the metal value far outweighs the antique value of the pieces.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby RR GUY » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:40 am

Not always true. I recenlty bought an antique tankard weighing 17 oz. The dealer had it priced at $700 which is just a few bucks over melt. I didn't have my book of hallmarks but knew it was English and possibly 18th century. The dealer said it was mid-late 19th century. The hallmarks revealed that it was in fact 18th century by Paul Storr a famous London silversmith and dated 1806. I took it to Christie's in New York who valued it at $1500-$2000. I have a few other stories like this, so don't beleve everything you read.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals