Here's what i want for Christmas!!

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Here's what i want for Christmas!!

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:54 pm

oh man, this has me salivating......i wish i had a full roll of these bad boys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1932-S-Washington-Q ... 9984698986

one of my prides is that i got a full roll of 1932 Washington's, but they're g4's, MAYBE a few 8's...but still i love them, they remind of the grandmother who raised me, and would tell me tales of the Great Depression. But one of the stupidest things i ever did was when 90's were trading 15X, there came up a role of GEM/BU 1936 Washingtons, and i was getting cute, y'know, saving a nickel to lose a dollar, and i got sniped at $215, whn i should of just put up a $350 bid. it was just stupid of me...1936 is the year my mother was born...oh well.

its a great looking coin, at least i have my roll of 1932 "4's"...good enough for me. best to you all, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Here's what i want for Christmas!!

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:07 pm

i like this guys "store"...he just doesnt sell rolls, but i dont think i did so bad buying a roll of 1932 Washington g-4's, i think i paid $160-170, and here's one he's got trading:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1932-D-Washington-Q ... 415c60a711

but the next to it, a 1932 GEM/BU

http://cgi.ebay.com/1932-Washington-Qua ... 3f0cce4d96

okay...now you guys can bid this one up...lol

man, i just love 20th century 90% silver American coins, i wouldnt wanna stack anything else....to me a Washington quarter is a thing of beauty, THAT IS, those minted before 1965!!!..frigging LBJ. ...George Washington! who could ask for more!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:34 pm

I've never paid any attention to Washington quarter dates. Next time I sort for quality and slicks I'll have to look for early 30s.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:35 pm

68Camaro wrote:I've never paid any attention to Washington quarter dates. Next time I sort for quality and slicks I'll have to look for early 30s.

Ummm. That would be, if I had any silver I would do this for you...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:35 pm

68Camaro wrote:I've never paid any attention to Washington quarter dates. Next time I sort for quality and slicks I'll have to look for early 30s.

i like them coz of the history,things were so bad, they didnt even mint 1933 quarters, and i like that roll coz...think about this, in 32, 33.....a quarter would buy you a pretty good dinner, or some dinner groceries. and when i hold one of them quarters, i try and imagine whose hand clutched this, glad they could eat that night, many years ago. thats why the roll is special to me
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:51 am

neilgin1 wrote:

i like them coz of the history,things were so bad, they didnt even mint 1933 quarters, and i like that roll coz...think about this, in 32, 33.....a quarter would buy you a pretty good dinner, or some dinner groceries. and when i hold one of them quarters, i try and imagine whose hand clutched this, glad they could eat that night, many years ago. thats why the roll is special to me

I take a moment to pause, and consider, what was going on at the time every time I find a 1929 penny. Bet you didn't find too many coins laying around on the ground back then!
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 am

Yep - found a 29 yesterday, did the same thing...
68Camaro

Postby ardorlan » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:00 am

neilgin1 wrote:oh man, this has me salivating......i wish i had a full roll of these bad boys!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1932-S-Washington-Q ... 9984698986

one of my prides is that i got a full roll of 1932 Washington's, but they're g4's, MAYBE a few 8's...but still i love them, they remind of the grandmother who raised me, and would tell me tales of the Great Depression. But one of the stupidest things i ever did was when 90's were trading 15X, there came up a role of GEM/BU 1936 Washingtons, and i was getting cute, y'know, saving a nickel to lose a dollar, and i got sniped at $215, whn i should of just put up a $350 bid. it was just stupid of me...1936 is the year my mother was born...oh well.

its a great looking coin, at least i have my roll of 1932 "4's"...good enough for me. best to you all, neil

I saw one of these 1932 S on Pawn Stars, it turned out to be a fake
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby warthog » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:50 pm

beauanderos wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:

I take a moment to pause, and consider, what was going on at the time every time I find a 1929 penny. Bet you didn't find too many coins laying around on the ground back then!

My parents house/lot was built sometime in the 30's on fill that came from the former site of the town dump. Every so often when weeding the garden with dad we would find a crusty old coin. Our finds include a 3 or 4 indians, a couple of V nickles, a merc and a barber quarter (all in pretty bad condition but nothing modern) plus dozens of nifty old store tokens and medals. Part of the fun of spring tilling was seeing what 'treasures' would turn up each year!

Even back then, pocket change got lost I guess.
warthog

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:54 am

warthog wrote:
My parents house/lot was built sometime in the 30's on fill that came from the former site of the town dump. Every so often when weeding the garden with dad we would find a crusty old coin. Our finds include a 3 or 4 indians, a couple of V nickles, a merc and a barber quarter (all in pretty bad condition but nothing modern) plus dozens of nifty old store tokens and medals. Part of the fun of spring tilling was seeing what 'treasures' would turn up each year!

man! that must make tilling fun...plus you always know you got your micronutrients kicking out in the soil, double bonus! i'm green.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby BOHICA » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:27 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
warthog wrote:

man! that must make tilling fun...plus you always know you got your micronutrients kicking out in the soil, double bonus! i'm green.

Have you ever thought about taking a metal detector out there?
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby warthog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:03 pm

BOHICA wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:
warthog wrote:

Have you ever thought about taking a metal detector out there?

heh, every so often the tines would kick up a piece of a wagon wheel or a horseshoe! Exciting for me indeed! Not so much fun for Dad running the tiller (oh the swear words I heard at such a tender age!) Mostly the good finds came in late summer after the rains had washed away some of the loose dirt. The downside is that there was also a lot of broken glass/crockery and coal slag and other artifacts in there too...you never really did know what you would run accross and we would often spend our Coca-cola breaks in the shade trying to figure out what some particular artifact was or came off of. Last trip back home there was still a healthy collection of neat little bottles recovered over the years on a shelf in the garage I'm not sure but there is a good chance the cigar box with our finds is probably around somewhere as well. It sure did make weeding the 1/2 acre garden less tedious though.

I've thought about getting a metal detector a few times, but never really got around to doing it. Partially because there is so much junk down there i think you would need a pretty expensive model to eliminate all the clutter (although I haven't really priced one in a long time.. i bet technological advances have made them much better and much cheaper). Partially because I don't really know much about that particular hobby (I know the guys who get into it seem to get WAAAAY into it so there's probably something to it). I suspect though that most coins coming out of the ground like that will have to be cleaned and not really worth much nusmismatically. Im guessing that the fun of treasure hunting is probably more for the thrill of the discovery rather than for huge financial gains. Hmm.. I might well be wrong about that though... maybe I want a metal detector for christmas! :lol:
warthog

Postby beauanderos » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:18 am

neilgin1 wrote: maybe I want a metal detector for christmas! :lol:
Well, alright... I had my finger poised over the key to get this for you for Christmas... but since you just want a metal detector :lol:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-058-500-SILVER-PA ... 519a90c5bc
beauanderos

Postby warthog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:26 pm

free shipping!
warthog

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 am

beauanderos wrote:
Well, alright... I had my finger poised over the key to get this for you for Christmas... but since you just want a metal detector :lol:

Raymundo, that is a beautiful thing....i been thinking about that offering....as you know, i'm decidely and comfortably middle class. i might or might stack, we know that. i know quite a few high net individuals, whatever. but i was thinking what if, i got lucky with one of those goofy dollar lotto's ...win 12 mil, net 5, i'd be on this thing in a second, BUT the second call i'd make is to Utah Shelter System's....they make a really nice product, and i say that coz my older brother, he's a veteran arborist aorund here, and he was working on this rich guys hanging trees, noticed a bunch of boys mounding and excavating, etc,.......and asked one of them, a real dunceski, "what you boys doing"...this guy says, "building a bomb shelter"....just unbelievable. His partner quickly say, "no no, we're just making a root cellar"......now, my bro and me are the good guys. we dont mess with folks, etc...but now, many many people in this rural area KNOW there's some rich dude with a bomb shelter and God knows what, at road xyz? that is so ill advised and unwise, i cant even imagine how some folks dont think things thru properly, but...oh well.

anyway, nice eye, a feller can dream, cant he...but i sure am happy with what i got. maybe i might go get a lotto ticket.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:39 am

neilgin1 wrote:
beauanderos wrote:

Raymundo, that is a beautiful thing....i been thinking about that offering....as you know, i'm decidely and comfortably middle class. i might or might stack, we know that. i know quite a few high net individuals, whatever. but i was thinking what if, i got lucky with one of those goofy dollar lotto's ...win 12 mil, net 5, i'd be on this thing in a second, BUT the second call i'd make is to Utah Shelter System's....they make a really nice product, and i say that coz my older brother, he's a veteran arborist aorund here, and he was working on this rich guys hanging trees, noticed a bunch of boys mounding and excavating, etc,.......and asked one of them, a real dunceski, "what you boys doing"...this guy says, "building a bomb shelter"....just unbelievable. His partner quickly say, "no no, we're just making a root cellar"......now, my bro and me are the good guys. we dont mess with folks, etc...but now, many many people in this rural area KNOW there's some rich dude with a bomb shelter and God knows what, at road xyz? that is so ill advised and unwise, i cant even imagine how some folks dont think things thru properly, but...oh well.

anyway, nice eye, a feller can dream, cant he...but i sure am happy with what i got. maybe i might go get a lotto ticket.

Wouldn't mind having a nice little (BIG) underground complex myself... well-disguised beneath a home built atop, with air vents enclosed within a chimney shaft, etc, closed-circuit tv system, tunneled escape routes, etc. Or, a home with a concealed "panic room" at the least. Alas, I live in an apartment complex. I merely like to dream aloud about ever owning precious metals.
beauanderos

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:53 am

same here ray, i just dream about owning any metals, and i sure do like to talk about them...thats the fun part, talking about silver, wish i could actually own some...oh well.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby warthog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I gotta figure a guy who has the forethought and means to make such a preparation probably given has thought about security as well. Making an unannounced call in a time of distress would probably be the last thing you want to do. While it certainly isn't a good idea to advertise.. locals are going to know anyway. Especially in small town america where there is little else to do sometimes than mind everyone else's business.
warthog

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals