Bad day at Black Rock...meltdown time.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bad day at Black Rock...meltdown time.

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 am

0915 CST 18 August 2011, freefall time, Dow down 500 pts, over 4% SNP500, down 53 pts at 1140...WOE to all if the 500 cracks 1100.

this might be the start of the dreaded hell week, meaning NEXT week, all hell breaks lose.

i was gonna post that Ebay indicator is pointing silver higher, we went from 96,000 silver offers, which included only 342 Roll offerings, and of those 342, only two sellers offer anything REALLY worthwhile, the rest are ther usual "possible silver" scamsters, a hoard of regular folk over drawer scrapings and about a third offering the crazy priced BIN's...you know what i mean.....ASES offered at 1300 a roll, 90's offered at 44X.

you might say "silvers only up 30 cents".....GOOD! let it band up long and lean on the charts...thats goooood.

in the time i took to write this equities are finding momentary support, but oh it is dicey. hang on guys.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: Bad day at Black Rock...meltdown time.

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:26 am

geeez I thought a nuke plant had flooded or something... :shock: :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:30 am

I "think" most of the pain on WS is over for the day.

I am still watching it like a hawk.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:50 am

Its going to bounce back by the end of the day. Bernake forgot to send over last weeks fiat funny money printed under the gise of QE2. Once they get the helicopter up and start dumping the money out, the market will stablize out for the day.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

due respect to Rodee and AG, and i do underline the word "respect"........it aint coming back for the day, the most it'll come back is Dow down 300. i think you're going to see 700 to 1,000 down in the last hour, the "pyschology" of the market just had yet another torpedo hit amidships, and thats the "unknown" of the euro mess.....these guys are terrified...thats just my read.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:56 am

If no recovery during the last hour of trading today, then the real downdraft begins. Any rise back to or above even today is market manipulation and certainly not a major change in public (and worldwide) sentiment.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:04 am

If I remember correctly Friday is the most dangerous trading day when the market is this dodgy, especially in the last hour. Investors don't like to hold equities when just about anything could happen over the weekend. :shock:
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:05 am

neilgin1 wrote:due respect to Rodee and AG, and i do underline the word "respect"........it aint coming back for the day, the most it'll come back is Dow down 300. i think you're going to see 700 to 1,000 down in the last hour, the "pyschology" of the market just had yet another torpedo hit amidships, and thats the "unknown" of the euro mess.....these guys are terrified...thats just my read.

I'm surprised they aren't more terrified than they are, given the economic news of the morning...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:06 am

Know Common Cents wrote:If no recovery during the last hour of trading today, then the real downdraft begins. Any rise back to or above even today is market manipulation and certainly not a major change in public (and worldwide) sentiment.

Nor has there been a change in the fundamentals which are forcing the market down and causing the sentiment you mention.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:36 am

68Camaro wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:due respect to Rodee and AG, and i do underline the word "respect"........it aint coming back for the day, the most it'll come back is Dow down 300. i think you're going to see 700 to 1,000 down in the last hour, the "pyschology" of the market just had yet another torpedo hit amidships, and thats the "unknown" of the euro mess.....these guys are terrified...thats just my read.

I'm surprised they aren't more terrified than they are, given the economic news of the morning...

you know R-68, my brother, i find the days i stay away from the laptop, and tend to chores, my frames seem more stable, as opposed to when i watch the trainwreck....gonna turn this thing off, my neighbor just sold me his tractor on a handshake.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby mflugher » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:37 am

I've been looking for a decent uptick to dump the remainder of my stocks in my IRA to cash, heavily invested in sivr and AGQ (60% total), about 37% in energy/energy servicefunds (held since 06-08) and 3% in cash, if we close at -350 or better I'm probably gonna dump my remainder today while I"m still ahead on it.

any feedback would be appreciated :D
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 am

mflugher wrote:I've been looking for a decent uptick to dump the remainder of my stocks in my IRA to cash, heavily invested in sivr and AGQ (60% total), about 37% in energy/energy servicefunds (held since 06-08) and 3% in cash, if we close at -350 or better I'm probably gonna dump my remainder today while I"m still ahead on it.

I am not a financial advisor but I think you have a pretty good plan there.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:10 pm

noon CST....equities volume leaders....Bank of America, down and six and a half percent at 6.97 on vol of almost 200 million shares...gee whiz, in a lil bit, wonder what American mega bank we're going to seeing banners headlines about?

where there's smoke.........
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:30 pm

neilgin1 wrote:noon CST....equities volume leaders....Bank of America, down and six and a half percent at 6.97 on vol of almost 200 million shares...gee whiz, in a lil bit, wonder what American mega bank we're going to seeing banners headlines about?

where there's smoke.........

BOA is going down. Zerohedge has been touting that for weeks if not months now. Maybe a Friday night deal is in the works. Of course that will be after the Countrywide unit is spun off into the next QE3 to rape the taxpayers and the fat cat bonuses are safe.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Oakair » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:33 pm

https://research.zecco.com/research/mar ... bol=%5EVIX

I wish I had known about this a few months ago :(

CBOE MKT VOLATILITY IDX ^VIX
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hades12 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:53 pm

August is always down, just about ever year, I moved my 401K into Div Paying stocks 3 years ago and just don't worry about it anymore. Might be a good time to average down on a few of them.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby slickeast » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:31 pm

I am going to get a roller coaster car and strap that thing to the dow. We can start the ride on Friday of last week. It seats 4 if anyone wants to go for a ride.

PS, Don't eat before getting in the car.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:37 pm

Hades12 wrote:August is always down, just about ever year, I moved my 401K into Div Paying stocks 3 years ago and just don't worry about it anymore. Might be a good time to average down on a few of them.

my dividend just walked by, clucking and cooing, trailing 3 baby turklets, not 15 feet from where i sit.

you prefer white meat or dark meat? the babies'll be raised on corn and bean meal, ready for Thanksgiving harvest 2011 harvest, when the Dow will be sitting at 5000.

its a hard ball world, a giant [shucks] sandwich and we're all going to have to take a bite.

i gotta go plucking.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby warthog » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:46 pm

theo wrote:If I remember correctly Friday is the most dangerous trading day when the market is this dodgy, especially in the last hour. Investors don't like to hold equities when just about anything could happen over the weekend. :shock:

Part of that historical Friday volatility is also due to the trade being "thin". Wall Street likes to treat itself to 3 day weekends particularly in the weeks leading up to the end of summer. Fewer players in the market exaggerates the ups and downs some (certainly not 400 points worth... but some). I bet a lot of weekend getaways in the Hamptons are being cancelled right now.
warthog

Postby SteelCityCopper » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Pretty crazy when 300 to 500 point drops become the norm. It's not too shocking anymore... and agree w/ Neil about the s--t sandwich... who's hungry?
Jason
- JPM doesn't determine our prices, the market does -
Steel City Copper
http://www.steelcitycopper.com
SteelCityCopper
Penny Pincher Member

Postby barrytrot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:55 pm

mflugher wrote:I've been looking for a decent uptick to dump the remainder of my stocks in my IRA to cash, heavily invested in sivr and AGQ (60% total), about 37% in energy/energy servicefunds (held since 06-08) and 3% in cash, if we close at -350 or better I'm probably gonna dump my remainder today while I"m still ahead on it.

How can you possibly think cash is better than something with value? Companies have REAL VALUE. They make a profit in something other than dollars in most cases (when looking at large companies).

The fact that the stock value goes up and down in the short term has very little bearing on the value of good companies in the long run.

I bought more today. And the only reason I had cash is I put more in when I make money as I sometimes do :)
barrytrot

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:21 pm

I think you should have an investment plan, that calls for certain action (or inaction) in certain scenarios. Then execute that plan. Investing by the seat of you pants is a bad idea.
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:39 am

looks like we are going to get a bit yucky again today on WS w/ the DJIA trading down 1.23 before the bell.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby theo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:00 am

barrytrot wrote:

How can you possibly think cash is better than something with value? Companies have REAL VALUE. They make a profit in something other than dollars in most cases (when looking at large companies).

The fact that the stock value goes up and down in the short term has very little bearing on the value of good companies in the long run.

I bought more today. And the only reason I had cash is I put more in when I make money as I sometimes do :)

You are probably right in the long-term, but I think we have a ways to go before the dollar truly crashes. Even as we speak investors are running to treasuries. I think there is an increasing feeling that the U.S. economy is considerably over-valued and therefore U.S. stocks may be very risky in the short-term. One of bloggers over at ZH theorizes that the Fed is allowing this drop to justify QE 3. In short, there may some good deals in mining, energy and agriculture, but I'd stay away from pretty much everything else.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:05 am

theo wrote:
barrytrot wrote:

You are probably right in the long-term, but I think we have a ways to go before the dollar truly crashes. Even as we speak investors are running to treasuries. I think there is an increasing feeling that the U.S. economy is considerably over-valued and therefore U.S. stocks may be very risky in the short-term. One of bloggers over at ZH theorizes that the Fed is allowing this drop to justify QE 3. In short, there may some good deals in mining, energy and agriculture, but I'd stay away from pretty much everything else.

Here is the neat thing that happens when people are "running": Option premiums go up very nicely! Earning 2% to 3% per month off the premiums is very easy. Naturally the stock might go down 10%, but that doesn't actually reduce the value of the company and even at 10% back you can earn 0.5% to 1% per month on the options at the same strike price.

Earning 0.5% per month isn't great, but it's also not too bad!

If you think you will call the correct bottom and the correct top, you might. But then you might call it incorrectly. My experience is something like 1,000 and ZERO with the "ZERO" on the "correct" side :)

Buying and holding eliminates the risk of "mistiming" over the long term. And if you buy companies that are set for the semi-long term they will rebound. Check Apple's price history as an example of what good companies do during a recession. Not bad. Of course, that's a 1 in a million company, but there are 100 other examples that faired fine and including option premiums and in some cases dividends faired very well.

As a side note: Name one wealthy person that has ever used a strategy that could be called "running" to make money. I dare you, name just one! EDIT: I thought of 2: Carl Lewis and Usain Bolt. Unless you are running the 100 meter in under 10 seconds I'm pretty sure there aren't any others :) Also other running events, although sprinters make the big bucks and get the babes I'm sure :) Ok, just in case there is some wise guy: Wide receivers and other running sports guys. Anyway, unless you are a super athlete name one :)

Wealthy people or those that want to be wealthy follow a consistent long term plan and these minor and even major dips are worked through with lots of the "runners" money flowing to the wealthy. LOTS.
barrytrot

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals