Hunting Wild Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Hunting Wild Silver

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:17 am

During the school year, I am a teacher. But, during the summer, I help my cousin deliver appliances for a little store in our area. It's fun, not too hard, gives me a little extra cash and keeps me out of trouble. When we take out old dryers, they are sometimes full of change. We have a good time tearing them apart and are like small children when coins start falling out. We found $55 in one last summer. Good times. Anyway, I'm always hoping for an old dryer with silver, but have had no luck. Then the other day, we were dumping a washing machine and found a handful of change in the bottom. They had been sitting in a little bit of water for over a month, and were a little blackish. Except for one beautiful, gleaming 1964 quarter. I've bought hundreds of silver quarters, but finding one like that was quite a thrill. That got me to wondering- what is the weirdest place that you've ever found "wild silver?"
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Hunting Wild Silver

Postby Dumpster Diver » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:20 am

About 15 years ago I was in a booth at a restaurant that dated back to the 40's in North Carolina. I don't recall what I dropped, but I had to fish my hand down into the crack of the seat. When I pulled it back out, I was the new owner of a Peace Dollar! Still have it today.
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:08 am

Dumpster Diver wrote:About 15 years ago I was in a booth at a restaurant that dated back to the 40's in North Carolina. I don't recall what I dropped, but I had to fish my hand down into the crack of the seat. When I pulled it back out, I was the new owner of a Peace Dollar! Still have it today.

Nice find DD. I had to read it a few times....with the words "fish" "hands" and "crack" it made me do a double take. :lol:
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:07 am

When I was a wee lad I found a mercury dime in a crack in the sidewalk in Brooklyn, New York City in front of my grandmothers apartment. That was my first silver find and the only time I have found silver randomly on the ground. I know it is not that interesting but for me it was an incredible magical experience and I still remember the feeling of wonder to this day.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby wagsthadog » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:14 am

Hi all-

Don't call me a scumbag, but I found a 1964 dime in the "tip jar" at subway one time. ....and I "liberated" it! (I put a couple common quarters in to counteract the negative karma-)

wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:20 am

wagsthadog wrote:Hi all-

Don't call me a scumbag, but I found a 1964 dime in the "tip jar" at subway one time. ....and I "liberated" it! (I put a couple common quarters in to counteract the negative karma-)

wags

Lol, no I'd have done the same. :D
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:33 am

blackrabbit wrote:When I was a wee lad I found a mercury dime in a crack in the sidewalk in Brooklyn, New York City in front of my grandmothers apartment. That was my first silver find and the only time I have found silver randomly on the ground. I know it is not that interesting but for me it was an incredible magical experience and I still remember the feeling of wonder to this day.

You probably still have the chewing gum you found under the theater seats, too! :lol:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby nero12345 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Just two weeks ago my brother was visiting and came by the house. He had just got some coffee and threw the change on the table and said"so there anything good there?" while laughing. I looked of course and said are you serious. 1 65' and 2 63' canadian quarters. He said to go ahead and have em. I bought thousand's in dimes and quarters and found very little so I was pretty stocked. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Silver and Gold
•It does nothing – but it hides no mistakes.
•It holds no press conferences – but it tells no lies.
•It makes no promises – and never delivers less.
nero12345
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapman1077 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Worked in a scrap yard years ago, ripped the back seat out of a car that was headed for the crusher and found a Morgan dollar stuck in the goo, still have it! We did the same thing with washers and dryers a the yard found a LOT of change.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:31 pm

Yeah,always knock the top off of driers and flip em on the ground,before you take them to the yard..there is always change in the bottom of the machine.MY favorite silver in the wild story would be finding an extra fine 1873 S quarter in a garbage pile of old stuff that was cleaned out of an old housE. You never know whats out there unless you look!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby amalekidad » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Fourty five years ago I was riding in the back seat of my grandparents car and found a 1919 dime. When I showed them they just looked at each other and kissed :shock: . Later they explained that was the year they were born and thought it was good luck to kiss when anyone mentioned that year.
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:48 pm

Hawkeye wrote:During the school year, I am a teacher. But, during the summer, I help my cousin deliver appliances for a little store in our area. It's fun, not too hard, gives me a little extra cash and keeps me out of trouble. When we take out old dryers, they are sometimes full of change. We have a good time tearing them apart and are like small children when coins start falling out. We found $55 in one last summer. Good times. Anyway, I'm always hoping for an old dryer with silver, but have had no luck. Then the other day, we were dumping a washing machine and found a handful of change in the bottom. They had been sitting in a little bit of water for over a month, and were a little blackish. Except for one beautiful, gleaming 1964 quarter. I've bought hundreds of silver quarters, but finding one like that was quite a thrill. That got me to wondering- what is the weirdest place that you've ever found "wild silver?"

By dumping I hope you mean, selling to a scrap yard.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:13 pm

[quote="Dumpster Diver"]About 15 years ago I was in a booth at a restaurant that dated back to the 40's in North Carolina. I don't recall what I dropped, but I had to fish my hand down into the crack of the seat. When I pulled it back out, I was the new owner of a Peace Dollar! Still have it today.quote]
Now... that's a new one on me, but I'll bet it works! What mugger is gonna double check your ass crack for a hidden stash when he swipes your wallet? :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Dumpster Diver » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Dumpster Diver wrote:About 15 years ago I was in a booth at a restaurant that dated back to the 40's in North Carolina. I don't recall what I dropped, but I had to fish my hand down into the crack of the seat. When I pulled it back out, I was the new owner of a Peace Dollar! Still have it today.quote]
Now... that's a new one on me, but I'll bet it works! What mugger is gonna double check your ass crack for a hidden stash when he swipes your wallet? :lol:

I sent it off to get graded and it came back Stinky Uncirculated. :)
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby beauanderos » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:20 pm

Dumpster Diver wrote:
beauanderos wrote:
Dumpster Diver wrote:About 15 years ago I was in a booth at a restaurant that dated back to the 40's in North Carolina. I don't recall what I dropped, but I had to fish my hand down into the crack of the seat. When I pulled it back out, I was the new owner of a Peace Dollar! Still have it today.quote]

I sent it off to get graded and it came back Stinky Uncirculated. :)

Thus proving the only exception to the rule..."you should never clean your coins."
beauanderos

Postby chris6084 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:30 pm

In high school I was up on the roof of the school (I was a bit of a trouble maker) and I found a silver quarter in the rain gutter.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Tourney64 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:37 am

Bought some used cloth coin bags from AMPEX and there was a beautiful silver quarter in one of them. I quickly checked all the rest with no luck.
Tourney64
Post Hoarder

Postby aristobolus » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:54 pm

I bought a 63 Ford Galaxie 500 four door hardtop with a 289 cu inch (for all you car enthusiasts out there). It was Corinthian white with red interior; the most beautiful car America has ever made. I purchased this car in 1995, and while pulling up the old carpet I found a 1963 Franklin Half dollar.

My second story goes back to my childhood. When I was a wee lad of about four, I was looking in the small space under the moldings on the wall when lo and behold I found a 1909 wheat penny! I also found about five more wheaties from the forties as well. These were probably seminal moments that led to my interest in collecting coins.
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Economist » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:49 pm

I do auctions in class with my Econ students--usually auction off a $1 or $5 bill in an all-pay auction to demonstrate the wastefulness of rent seeking. Anyhow, on two occasions in the last 2 years students have included silver dimes in their payments! I always make money on this, but getting silver makes it extra special.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 pm

I have an uncle that was removing tile during a remodel and found a couple silver dimes hiding underneath......put there years before by my grandfather during construction.

Later rumors of a “jar” full over silver coins had my cousin and I (14-15 y/o at the time)tearing apart my aunt’s house. Pecking and metal detecting walls and such.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rob72830 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:10 pm

When I was a kid my father was a trash hauler. He would pick up cardboard boxes from businesses for recycling. Anyway at this shoe store I picked up an empty shoe box and found a silver English 6 pence that somehow made it from England to Arkansas. Had a very young Queen Elizabeth on it. Went to my coin collection. One other time, my dad was picking up trash at an antique store and found 5 Peace Dollars. Many times we found paper money and coins that were swept up and thrown away. I used to find lots of pennies. Those were the days.
Rob72830
Penny Pincher Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:36 am

Several years ago when I was mountain biking in the Southern California mountains after a bit of rain and snow, I spotted something shiny in one of the ruts in the washed-out road I was on. It was a Mercury dime unearthed and waiting to be found.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby creshka46 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:03 pm

Just a couple months ago I was at the bank picking up some dimes when the teller got to asking me about what I was doing. So I was explaining to him that some are made of silver when I glanced at his tray that they use to make change and said, "Actually, you might check that top dime in the tray" and sure enough, he looked at it and it was a 1964 rosey, right on top. I asked him if he wanted it but he passed so I took it.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:06 pm

creshka46 wrote:Just a couple months ago I was at the bank picking up some dimes when the teller got to asking me about what I was doing. So I was explaining to him that some are made of silver when I glanced at his tray that they use to make change and said, "Actually, you might check that top dime in the tray" and sure enough, he looked at it and it was a 1964 rosey, right on top. I asked him if he wanted it but he passed so I took it.

That is awesome. I've got a couple roosevelts in change over the last few years, but have never spotted one "at long range" like that before.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Last year I found a silver civil war token in a bag of dimes.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals