Hunting Wild Silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Hunting Wild Silver

Postby realfoot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:36 pm

knibloe wrote:Last year I found a silver civil war token in a bag of dimes.

do you have a pic? PM me please.
in God i trust. all others pay with precious metals.
realfoot

Postby SilverMoney » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:16 pm

I occasionally will pay for small purchases with two dollar bills, dollar coins or a combo of both. One week I went to a gas station and paid for several days in a row using dollar coins and this seemed to upset the cashier quite a bit. Come Friday, I stroll in and you can tell the teller is ready for me, he is going to get me and he is going to get me bad. I pay for my purchases and have 54 cents coming back. With the utmost satisfaction the cashier give me the payback smirk, and gives me four pennies and a 1964 half dollar. He thought he was fighting fire with fire, but just ended up starting off a great weekend!

I did get a 63 quarter from a coffee machine as change which I found odd, but other than that, just a silver quarter or dime in change every two years or so.
SilverMoney

Postby creshka46 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Wow, I didn't know they made silver civil war tokens. I've only ever seen the copper ones on the ends of ebay "unsearched" rolls :lol:
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:29 am

I was cleaning out an estate and found a scrap book from the 1960s... one page had a peace dollar taped in it.... that was fun
Diggin4copper
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 4 bit » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:42 am

I was in a coffee bar a few days ago and noticed a couple of half dollars in the tip jar. One of them was a 1969D. I pointed it out to the barista and told her not to spend it because it has about $4.50 worth of silver.
4 bit
Penny Pincher Member

Postby DuckTales253 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:23 am

Economist wrote:I do auctions in class with my Econ students--usually auction off a $1 or $5 bill in an all-pay auction to demonstrate the wastefulness of rent seeking. Anyhow, on two occasions in the last 2 years students have included silver dimes in their payments! I always make money on this, but getting silver makes it extra special.

Can you explain "rent seeking" and how this auction illustrates the point? I am intrigued!
"No man is poor who can do what he likes to do once in a while!" - Scrooge McDuck
DuckTales253
Penny Pincher Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:31 pm

creshka46 wrote:

Wow, I didn't know they made silver civil war tokens. I've only ever seen the copper ones on the ends of ebay "unsearched" rolls :lol:

It was made as a fund raiser for the union troops. The silver one sold for $.50. I also have a penny token that I found. Both from bags that I bought off of the same bank.

I will post a pic if I can find it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals