QUESTIONS REGARDING OBSERVATIONS

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

QUESTIONS REGARDING OBSERVATIONS

Postby PreservingThePast » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:12 pm

I KNOW I HAVE POSTED IN THE PAST ABOUT THE COLORING/THE APPEARANCE OF DIMES AND QUARTERS FROM 1965 - ?.......MAYBE 1968 OR SO. THAT THEY JUST HAVE A DIFFERENT LOOK TO SOME OF THEM AS IF THEY MIGHT CONTAIN SOME SILVER.

SO I DID THE SOUND TEST ON SOME, BOTH DIMES AND QUARTERS. THEY DON'T RING AS SWEETLY AS THE 90% SILVER COINS BUT THEY DON'T THUD EITHER LIKE LATER CLAD COINS. I DID NOT HAVE A 40% COIN TO LISTEN TO SO I COULD COMPARE THE SOUND TO ONE OF THOSE.

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHY THEY HAVE A SLIGHT RING?

THANKS AND PLEASE PARDON ALL CAPS BUT MY EYES ARE REALLY BAD.
PreservingThePast
Post Hoarder

Re: QUESTIONS REGARDING OBSERVATIONS

Postby cjlive2000 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:50 pm

you could weigh them, to see if there is a difference
cjlive2000
Penny Pincher Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 pm

I've noticed the same thing, no explanation for it. A number of times I've pull out dimes that I could've sworn were silver, only to see they were of other date.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennybug » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 am

Funny you mention this... I was going to make a post about this same thing this weekend! I found a 1972 half (I'll put pics up later) that looks like it is solid silver. Edge on... it looks EXACTLY like a '64. I've had 2 different coin shops look at it. One guy said it was polished and re-finished to look that way (plausible maybe... but I doubt it. It doesn't look like it's had a new finish put on it.) The other guy didn't know... but he suggested that it was an old 64 plinket found and used in 72. Maybe one had fallen under a machine or something like that. I'd go with that theory... problem is that it doesn't sound like solid silver, or a clad silver... OR A COPPER NICKEL clad (although it sounds close to this). It's a real mystery at this point!
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby creshka46 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:20 pm

You could try an acid test on it to be sure, couldn't you?
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I wonder this as well; however, with state quarters. I find many that look as though they have manganese in them. Maybe I ought to start hoarding ALL change. :?
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals