CWR or Boxes?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

CWR or Boxes?

Postby mortarman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:50 am

In my limited experience, CWR rolls of dimes/halves have a much higher percentage of AG than boxes. Has it been worth yalls time to make the drive 'round town looking for CWR rolls or do you choose to increase your efficiency and focus most of your time/capital on boxes?

And what's a string box?

As usual, I appreciate yalls input.
mortarman

Re: CWR or Boxes?

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:41 am

I don't do silver searching so no comment on the drives around. I can say that for copper searching the CWR are better, but I have only a few places where I can get significant amounts of them, and the driving around to find more hasn't proven to be useful, except where to define what banks to try again, and what banks to just avoid again.

A string box is a box of machine wrapped coin using paper wrappers, the most common of which are by the brand name of "String".
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:05 am

I used to search lots of dimes, both boxes and cwr's. My record for not finding any dimes in a box was five boxes in a row. My record for the most dimes was 32 in one box. That was a fluke because my second best record was seven dimes in one box. I didn't have as much luck with cwr's. I found a roll with 7 silver dimes at one end. You could sense that someone had been saving them and must have needed the money. I only search boxes of halves now.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:46 pm

The banks I deal with in the Middle of the Midwest don't even accept CWRs. They'll dump even a single roll of anything into their coin counter and make it do the work. They tell me it's because of too many nasty things being included in the rolls. I could counter that with the thought that some may not be able to count that quickly or accurately. Likely due to frequent interruptions rather than lack of counting skills. Not true in all cases, however.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:07 pm

CWR ONLY! I suppose if I were searching more... I'd go with boxes. But... my method is to re-visit certain banks about once every month or 2 weeks. Then... I visit new banks WHENEVER I can. I don't go too far out of my way. Paid off this weekend... while at the grocery store... wife was checkin out. I hit the teller.. BAM... one roll with 2x 40% ers. NO GAS... NO EXTRA TIME... just due diligence. That's my method... paid out pretty well so far too! I'm up to 2x full rolls of 90%'ers and 2.5 rolls of 40%'ers. :D
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby wayne1956 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:49 am

I did boxes for years, but recently quit and only do CWR. There are so many people ordering boxes anymore in a large city that they keep it depleted, so after 20+ skunks in a row I quit the boxes. Recently I stopped at a bank and got 4 rolls of CWR halves, first three were skunks and the last had 19 Franklins in it. Same types of wrappers so it was from the same person. Have not had a hit like that in years.
wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:42 pm

wayne1956 wrote:I did boxes for years, but recently quit and only do CWR. There are so many people ordering boxes anymore in a large city that they keep it depleted, so after 20+ skunks in a row I quit the boxes. Recently I stopped at a bank and got 4 rolls of CWR halves, first three were skunks and the last had 19 Franklins in it. Same types of wrappers so it was from the same person. Have not had a hit like that in years.

Right on man! Nice score! Congrats! THIS is the EXACT reason I don't search bank wraps.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Verbane » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:58 pm

I only search CWR. I have developed connections with 3 credit unions at 7 branches. Since credit unions don't typically service commercial accounts, most of their intake of coin piles up. I save them pick up fees from the armored car services, in return they contact me when they need room in the vault. This keep my operating capital in constant use.

Not a lot of halves from this situation, but a few, and I get a good number of Ikes every month, which they usually save for me. I also take the all quarter rolls, but CWR quarter rolls will produce some surprising results, in May I pulled an 80% George V, 80% George VI, and numerous pre 1999 Canadian from a $35.00 lot.
Winner of the "2014 Thogey Award for Long Term Coin Hoarding in the Face of Spousal Skepticism". Awarded by AGgressive Metal, 8-6-2014.
Verbane
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals