How to price cars in silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

How to price cars in silver?

Postby involuntary tentacle » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:21 pm

This could be about pricing anything in PMs.. but I need to buy a car.

There is a guy with a car I want, but I do not want to cash out my real money for fake money. I want to offer him real money instead.
What would be a fair silver ounce to fake dollar ratio if one were to buy a car with silver?
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Re: How to price cars in silver?

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:40 pm

I've thought this for the last few months, as I am looking at getting a second vehicle. Sometimes you can find people on Craigslist, under the barter section, who in fact are willing to barter a car for PM's. Finding someone willing to trade a car for PM's is more than half the battle, as the good majority of the population is asleep.

EDIT: some time ago, someone on here listed a car under the trade section. Not sure if a deal was ever made. Maybe you can post something saying you want a car and are willing to trade PM's.
Last edited by PennyBoy on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:44 pm

I guess that's the nature of trade and barter--you figure it out between the two involved parties and come to an agreement. Something to consider, though, is that he may not have any interest in--or knowledge of--silver. If someone offered me cotton candy for my truck, I probably wouldn't take it! There is no telling how someone thinks, and he might just want FRN's--if he does a little bit of superficial research, he may see that an ounce of silver will buy a larger fraction of his car than it would have, say, a year ago, so ignoring depreciation, he'll get fewer of them in trade than he would have a year ago, causing him to see it as a bad trade. At the same time, his car might be worth a comparable number of FRN's to what it was a year ago (again, no depreciation factored in). With FRN's being the currency that he spends on beer and Doritos, he may simply be more interested in having them than real money!
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby cuag » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:03 pm

I would be very hesitant to transact any business regarding a car using PM with a stranger. They will have all of your information for the title and they will know that you either #1 have enough PM to buy a car with its value, so you must have even more or #2 you just received alot of PM in the transaction and you will probably continue to hold on to it. I'd take the 5-7% hit and cash in at a LCS and deal in cash, its lower on the radar. However, if we are talking about a $500 Oldsmabuick, its less of a problem than a $40,000 BMW.
cuag

Postby slickeast » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:18 am

Cars a terrible investment. They depreciate everyday and with every mile driven. I would look for a low milage car that has a higher than average ability to maintain a high resale value.

I would sell whatever amount of silver you need to pay for the car with FRN's. Easy to sell on here and have the FRN's in hand quickly. Pay with some $20 bills mixed in. Maybe casually mention that it took a long time to save up to buy the car. You want them to think you saved every last dime to buy the car.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:38 am

A few years ago I listed a 1967 red Mustang on craigslist for $660 silver dollars.

I must have got 20 calls from teenagers begging me to hold the car until their parents could get to the bank and get the "silver" dollars out to buy the car.

Several people asked, "What kind of silver dollars do you want?" I said, "The kind made of real silver!" Then they'd ask, "Where am I gonna get those? I said, "Maybe from grandpa's stash, or get them from a coin shop. However, I'll take $13,500 in paper money."

Needless to say, within a day and a half, the ad was flagged, and whenever I posted it again, it was flagged down pretty quick.

The masses have no clue about Ag.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby involuntary tentacle » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:19 am

thanks for the replies everyone

the car i am interested in is in another state. dont think i would be too concerned about the other party knowing i have PMs.
i certainly would not go about doing this LOCALLY... at this point in time anyway.

i dont want to sell any PMs to get play money... i would get ripped off if i went to my LCS. i run the risk of getting robbed at gunpoint meeting some clown to sell locally. even though i have heat of my own, i really dont want to have to use it.

the whole point of this exercise would be that the other party would be getting REAL money in exchange for their goods. i was hoping someone had an idea of a fair AG to fiat ratio, but i like the idea of "figure it out between the two involved parties and come to an agreement"

I think I will take that approach.

PS: i am not going to meet some random person off craigslist in another state or anything. the cars are on a car forum where the buyers/sellers have ratings and reputations to protect, so the chance of me getting shafted are lower than other places
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Two things...

1) Whats the car forum :lol: (im looking to buy used soon, and other than police auction, Ive got few sources)

2) You could always sell your stash here for fair market prices...Ive had nothing but great experiences down there
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:11 pm

slickeast wrote:Cars a terrible investment. They depreciate everyday and with every mile driven.

And if you really wanna destroy your investment in a car......buy a used luxury car. Jaguars are notoriously know for this. You can buy a XJ for less than a $1000 in some cases.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby involuntary tentacle » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Well... this about sums it up for the sorry state our fellow countrymen are in.

I messaged the seller along the lines of would the car make the drive from TX (where he is) to where I am, and that I am short on "paper money", but had plenty of these:

His response might make you laugh or cry. I laughed for a second... ONLY FOR A SECOND, and then felt like I was in the twilight zone.

Nearest major airport is Austin international airport, about an hour drive from me. Yes, I have no doubt in my mind this car will make the drive back to the west coast as long as you don't beat the hell out of it on the long drive. Just drive it normal and it will make the drive no problem. Lowest cash offer I will take is $7500. And cash those coins in, I'm not gonna accept a bunch of change.
involuntary tentacle
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:50 pm

Drive it normally and it will make it. Humm, that means if you baby it the hidden problems shouldn't show up.

For $7500 you can buy a decent used car that should hold up for many years even if you drive it 85mph everyday on the interstate.

If you want fair market value for those ASE's. Just sell them on the forum.
slickeast

Postby slickeast » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:53 pm

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/2560911205.html

2004 Mazda 6

4 door and a v6 with only 87,400 miles.

This should get you anywhere in the country with no problems...babying it or not
slickeast

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:56 pm

Ive got like 500$ to spend on a used car :(

Granted it only needs to run for about 6 months, but its gunna be hitting the mountains every day...
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:18 pm

My turbodeisel Mercedes 300SDL now has 305,000 miles on it. I bought it at 188,000 miles for only $2800.

It still runs great. The radar detector keeps me from getting tickets at 110 mph......... it gets 24 to 26 mpg normally, and 22 mpg at 100 mph.

Spend $7500 on WHEELS??? ... don't be a chump.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:35 pm

IdahoCopper wrote:My turbodeisel Mercedes 300SDL now has 305,000 miles on it. I bought it at 188,000 miles for only $2800.

It still runs great. The radar detector keeps me from getting tickets at 110 mph......... it gets 24 to 26 mpg normally, and 22 mpg at 100 mph.

Spend $7500 on WHEELS??? ... don't be a chump.

thats my ideal car...woo veggie oil
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals