anyone here own or operate vending machines?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

anyone here own or operate vending machines?

Postby kidman232 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:05 pm

if so, just wondering how often you come across silver coins while emptying out the machine?
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Re: anyone here own or operate vending machines?

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:37 pm

Even better, does anyone here have an Ice Cream Truck? I can only imagine some of the stuff that you must get! I vividly remember when I was a kid scrounging around anywhere that I could to find some change when I heard the ice cream truck coming down the street. Probably kids all over the place raiding their dads horde to finance a chocolate eclair.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby justj2k78 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:53 pm

NHsorter wrote:Even better, does anyone here have an Ice Cream Truck? I can only imagine some of the stuff that you must get! I vividly remember when I was a kid scrounging around anywhere that I could to find some change when I heard the ice cream truck coming down the street. Probably kids all over the place raiding their dads horde to finance a chocolate eclair.

:lol: Isn't that a doughnut? A doughnut truck? I think you just invented something with unlimited potential!!! :shock:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:28 pm

Yummy Goodness!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby NHsorter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:29 pm

A doughnut truck would not be able to cover much ground because it would be constantly getting pulled over.
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby PennyBoy » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:43 pm

I have two machines here at my work that I empty. They only take quarters. I think in the 18 months that I've been doing it I've found one or two silver quarters. I find more silver in the cash registers than I do in the machines. My father has a couple at his location that he empties, he rarely finds silver either.

My father also has a candy machine that takes pennies. I recently bought the pennies (about $23FV) off him at face value, only to be highly disappointed. I think my copper % was about 14%, with only 2 wheats.

I'd rather own/run a nickel-nickel arcade. Better yet, I'd rather be the one in charge of emptying the fountains at an outdoor mall or amusement park.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby scrapper2010 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:48 pm

NHsorter wrote:A doughnut truck would not be able to cover much ground because it would be constantly getting pulled over.

:lol: :lol: Nice one!
Old feedback thread viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3581
scrapper2010
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby twentybux » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:24 pm

NHsorter wrote:Even better, does anyone here have an Ice Cream Truck? I can only imagine some of the stuff that you must get! I vividly remember when I was a kid scrounging around anywhere that I could to find some change when I heard the ice cream truck coming down the street. Probably kids all over the place raiding their dads horde to finance a chocolate eclair.

I remember my dad had a few Morgans sitting out along with some other silver. My younger sister was scrounging around and used them for the ice cream man. My dad learned a lesson. Lesson: "Teach your kids about money v. "real money"." Oh yeah, and also, "pick your sh*t up so that the kids can't give it to Mr. Chill". 8-)
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:18 pm

when i was a teenager, i would have my mom drive me to the next town to buy fireworks (where they were legal) and sell them to kids in my neighborhood for double. i took in a few silver dollars at face value. on a percentage basis, probably better than the ice cream man.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Unless they are older vending machine they will not take silver quarters....
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:when i was a teenager, i would have my mom drive me to the next town to buy fireworks (where they were legal) and sell them to kids in my neighborhood for double. i took in a few silver dollars at face value. on a percentage basis, probably better than the ice cream man.

bootleged fireworks!..... :lol: .........Thats great!
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby warthog » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:01 pm

From mid 80's to mid 90's I dropped newspapers at stores and filled a few machines along the way. Largely the machines went to locations that didn't do enough volume M-F for the stores to mess with so they weren't exactly high volume (some were only 5 or 6 copies a day), but I'd say 10+ years worth 5 days a week is still a significant sample. It was pretty rare then to run accross any 90% and silver was considerably lower than it is now. I never got a rosie let alone a merc and probably only got 4 or 5 quarters in all that time.

those machines worked off the diameter of the coin rather than the weight so I also got more than a few slugs and foreign coins. I didn't know at the time to check for canadian 80% which looking back might have had better yields.
warthog

Postby cesariojpn » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 am

cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Maybe we can start a tracking thread for those of us that do empty machines? My guess though is that it wouldn't see too much action.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:50 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:when i was a teenager, i would have my mom drive me to the next town to buy fireworks (where they were legal) and sell them to kids in my neighborhood for double.

You have a cool mom, if I'd been doing that I'd have to hide it from my mom so she wouldn't
flip out. You got help! 0_0 I did make a bit of money selling X-rated magazines after I
found a bag of them by the side of the road, then some guy that noticed I was selling them
had me sell some of his on consignment. I learned with comic books to avoid tying up money
in inventory, it's harder to predict what will sell and at what price than you think, thus I
wouldn't buy them outright from him. ;) (Under my comic books was a good place to hide
them over the summer. ^_^) I probably didn't do anywhere near as good as you did with
the fireworks though.

On the topic, a coworker of mine once got a silver dime (I believe it was 1967 CDN
centenial) as change from the vending machine at work. Don't know anyone on the
running a machine end of things. Funny thing about the old vending machines some
of them seemed only capable of counting up to 3 of any one coin, it would ignore
but eat any additional coins starting with the 4th. This makes things tricky as the
price gets higher. ^_-
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby thedude » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:01 pm

I have a gum ball machine at a BBQ joint in a big ten college town. In the 14 months I've had it I haven't come across any silver.
Can't believe how strange it is to be anything at all.
thedude
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Mercuryman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:25 pm

One of my friend's parents runs a vending company here in NC, They found quite a bit of silver in the last few years. Even a standing liberty quarter. But recently its been rare, he maybe occasionally finds a war nickel or a sliver quarter here and there. But nothing substantial. Too bad they can take halves!
Mercuryman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rainsonme » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:31 pm

For a while I was picking up all the coins from a series of vending machines, through the bank. A very friendly teller was married to the man who ran the vending machine concession, and she kept all his coins separate for me. Over several months it was many thousands of dollars in quarters and dimes. Absolutely 0 silver. And I confirmed with her that her husband was not checking any of the coins. I think HighRoller provided the answer a few comments above. Newer vending machines don't accept silver. (therefore, I always look in the coin reject trays as I pass vending machines)
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals