Whats going on with Early Washingtons?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Whats going on with Early Washingtons?

Postby Robarons » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:37 pm

Up until recently I used to prefer older 90% when it came to buying bullion. If you had a choice of buying a 1964 Rosie or a 1897 Barber at 12x face which one would you prefer? However because of the extreme rise in silver almost any numis that those coins is gone and now have a caveat- worn coins are worth less. So now you have to aim for BU 1964's to get the most bang for your silver buck.

However I used to buy early Washingtons the same way and these suckers book for some extreme values for some reason. Here are some examples in EF-40:
1936-D $55!
1936-S $15
1937-D $15
1937-S $35
1938-P $15
1938-S $20
1939-D $11
1939-S $20
1940-D $24

I have these- even some multiples of 1936-D, but are these prices even reasonable? I cant see me even getting close to these prices if I went to sell- heck I wold likely only get melt! And in conditions less than EF40 can you expect very much numis left (melt is $7.50 for any quarter now anyways).

Thoughts?
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Re: Whats going on with Early Washingtons?

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:41 pm

http://numismedia.com/fmv/prices/wshqtr/pricesgd.shtml

Im not seeing those prices reflected here...But I also don't much follow numismatics as Im just in it for the metal ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:43 pm

I was using a 2009 Redbook as a reference. Prices may have changed (if so then this topic is null and in void) but if not why did they post those prices.

It doesnt help their case when clicking reference price guides (like the one posted above) shows no crazy prices.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:48 pm

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R4 ... Categories

Ebay also doesn't help their case ;)

Thats weird that the redbook listed those prices...Ive got no explanation, just examples to the contrary :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:45 am

Dunno, but condition is everything, and EF-40, even though not superb, is a very unusual quality in those years because they were so well used. Out of about 100 I've gotten in trade, only a 1 or maybe 2 are of that grade.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:14 am

Red book is what LCS charge, blue book is what they pay (and more of a realistic value, most likely)
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby ardorlan » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:23 am

beauanderos wrote:Red book is what LCS charge, blue book is what they pay (and more of a realistic value, most likely)

What is a good blue book I can buy on Amazon or read for free online?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby gilpo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:45 am

It would be better still to get a copy of what dealers call the gray sheet. It's the coin dealer newsletter. Comes out every couple weeks I think and it tells dealers what to buy and sell coins for. Most dealers go by it. If you find a small coin shop, they might give you an old one of even let you look at their current one. Just be nice to them and they'll be nice to you.
gilpo

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am

thank you for that testimony. in Feb 2008, when i got serious, i made up my mind, i was an intrinsic collector, not nusimatic, and with your post, you have assured me, my path was correct, i dont write that to bray at you, i'm thanking you. When i started slashing and burning, IF i DID buy anything, it was GEM/BU's of 64 Washingtons, 64 Proofs, roll after roll, 63's, 62's 1959's at 12X's, 13X's 14X's...heck, when stuff was trading 12X's, and knowing what floor trading was like; i'd get vicious and just outbid anybody and pay 14 or 15X...when rolls of ASE's were trading 300 to 320, a guy would pop up with BIN's at 360,multiple rolls, i''d pick him off with nary a complaint. There was a time, recent, when Ebay was loaded with roll after roll of 64 Kennedy's GEM BU's all of them, and guys would be fighting it out over early Franklins, i'd slash and burn and get all them 64 Kennedys, 12 to 16X's bam bam bam....and just kept going...20X's? NO PROBLEMO...BUY IT!...going into the bank, getting brick after brick of nick's, stacking those. Hitting sellers of copper lincolns in bulk....1.5? no problemo, BUY IT!...i never did get a ryedale, coz i was in fear of being late to the party, no time to sort or go to banks, instead i bot a 400 dollar wheat grinder, and buckets of wheat berries, hard red spring.

REASON BEING, in all my years, i been taught, thru hard lessons, you see a bull market, you slash and burn and buy whatever you can, and dont be thinking. Thinking will mess you up. and if anybody "thinks" 32-33X's is "too high"?...they are out of their minds! before you know it, 100X's face gonna be the norm. watch.

as my way of thanking you brother, let me give you a nudge; an undervalued PM is "lead"...you feel me? Don't neglect that, no lead, and your other PM's value will be "lost"...nuff said.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals