Where's the Bottom for Gold? (Now Down $175)

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Where's the Bottom for Gold? (Now Down $175)

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:45 pm

We pretty much new that a correction would be coming. Presently down hard and I wonder whether Marc Faber's appearance on CNBC this morning had something to do with it.

He was saying that everyone should have some gold, but said that this wasn't the time to buy. He also said that a correction was due. All it takes is a little spooking of the markets and the "DIVE! DIVE!" warning buzzer is sounded. Toss logic out the window as it doesn't apply anymore. Au and Ag could completely retrace their retreat by the end of the week.

In the truest sense, this is an opportune time to buy more PMs.

So much for yesterday's drop of "only" $65. Today's freefall added another $100+ to that negative total. This one stings a little. The fundamentals are still the same for bull market, so I remain a steadfast advocate of the favorite yellow metal.

Steady as she goes in my opinion.
Last edited by Know Common Cents on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Where's the Bottom for Gold? (Down $65.70)

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Exactly, don't join the panic (if that's what it is) by selling. Just wait for lower prices and buy some more.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:24 pm

The problem is the paper markets can easily be manipulated.

How many people do you know that actually own physical gold?

I wouldn't sell off in the panic either especially when you have physical gold in your hands.

Has anything really improved enough in the economy to warrant the upward tick in the stock market?? NO
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:46 pm

C'mon guys... think smart. Silver didn't run, gold did. The GSR is in the 40's and declining. Play a countered position hedge... short GLD, long SLV. Ain't that tough to do.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby beauanderos » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Market Harmony wrote:C'mon guys... think smart. Silver didn't run, gold did. The GSR is in the 40's and declining. Play a countered position hedge... short GLD, long SLV. Ain't that tough to do.

How can you say silver didn't run? It fell by a greater percentage basis than gold did.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Oakair » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:20 pm

beauanderos wrote:
Market Harmony wrote:C'mon guys... think smart. Silver didn't run, gold did. The GSR is in the 40's and declining. Play a countered position hedge... short GLD, long SLV. Ain't that tough to do.

How can you say silver didn't run? It fell by a greater percentage basis than gold did.

Im just happy it held above 40, let alone 42...

Apparently this was gold's biggest drop in 18 months (Kitco)...Id say both fared pretty well
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby theo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:56 pm

Even when the GSR declines, gold still seems to have more up days than down. And athough gold may be over-bought in the short-term, all we need is another U.S. downgrade or Chinese/Japanese treasury dump and gold goes parabolic along with silver. Shorting GLD when things are this fluid seems like unnecessary risk.
theo
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ScottyTX » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:10 pm

I'm hoping its around 1400.00 but I'm daydreaming of buying some nice gold too :)
"Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. "
Laurence J. Peter
ScottyTX
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby franklin » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 am

Just pretend it didn't ever go over 1900.
Yesterday that Michelle chic at CNBC told the English guy that gold was on its way down and not a good investment. True to form, he shoved it right down her throat by deadpanning "Yeah, what's it up for the month, 20%?" I love that guy as well as Santelli.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:07 am

uh oh...

Both getting slammed right now...Silver taking double percentage hit comparatively...

Looks like a buying spree will be called for soon ;)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Where's the Bottom for Gold? (Now Down $175)

Postby Know Common Cents » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:19 pm

All the CNBC goofs are basically saying, "I told you so" about gold being in a bubble. Makes me POed big time. We'll still have the last laugh, I'm confident.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:40 pm

Know Common Cents wrote:All the CNBC goofs are basically saying, "I told you so" about gold being in a bubble. Makes me POed big time. We'll still have the last laugh, I'm confident.

do you really question them? gold plummeted to levels not seen for 10 days or so..... :lol: Really I DO use them to gauge the market.... once they start saying it is a good buy, then you might consider selling. I couldnt find it but i read an article awhile back about how in every major turn of the market suc soruces wouldnt tell people to invest until all the money had been made. they listed 8 major market shifts of the last decade and such sources were WRONG on every one.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:51 pm

There was another 27% hike int he margin requirements of gold, and china did it as well. It's temporary though.

Also, Bernanke is speaking tomorrow. short of us having QE3 this should drop stocks a considerable amount.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:25 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Umm, $1805.80, ladies. Thanks go out to The Bernank.

Edited to say that at 3:33P it's $1824.80. That was some correction. ;)
Last edited by shinnosuke on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:19 pm

franklin wrote:Just pretend it didn't ever go over 1900.
Yesterday that Michelle chic at CNBC told the English guy that gold was on its way down and not a good investment. True to form, he shoved it right down her throat by deadpanning "Yeah, what's it up for the month, 20%?" I love that guy as well as Santelli.

that is strange, why is it that mainstream media talking heads ALWAYS bad mouth PM's?...i mean, i get it, that they're desperately trying to hang on to the status quo, make like everything's OK, etc. But it seems to me, that truth has fled the land. Everywhere it seems, you can never get a straight answer, not from "news" outlets, not from gummit, not from business combines. Take this comedy in Libya, who are these "rebels"?....are they jihadi's?....merc's?......who's doing the resupply?...NATO?...whats the endgame look like?...is it to lock down the 1.3 mln daily barrels of Libyan crude, which is the really good light sweet refiners love...is it to lock down for the EU?....and who's next?, coz everytime i hear the words "Arab Spring", i laugh. Any "revolution" in any arab country is going to have islam at its core, what are we nuts? we think that we can always prop up some secular arab kleptocracy forever?
and there's NO STRAIGHT ANSWERS given!....and its crazy. The less we have to do with any of these arabs, the better off we'll be, these countries are flushing toilets. i know we need the oil, but screwing around with muslims is like a one legged dude poking a hornets nest.

anyway, sorry for the rant, it just seems like the world has gone mad....is that just me?...or does anyone else feel the same? its collective institutional madness...where is Thomas Jefferson when we need him?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Kurr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:29 pm

The "media" are all LARGE corporations that rely on credit streams to operate. These credit stream comes from banks, who rely on a currency monopoly. PMs are a direct competition to the FRN and thus power that the banks control.
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby beauanderos » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:18 pm

neilgin1 wrote:...where is Thomas Jefferson when we need him?

So anyway, Osama Bin Laden gets summoned from Death's Waiting Room and he exits thru the only door. He sees a staircase of golden steps ascending into the clouds. "Ah, Praise Allah," he says to himself "it must be Heaven." So he begins to climb the steps, his excitement growing with each small advance that he makes, at what awaits him. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a grey-haired old man rushes and tackles him, then proceeds to kick the crap out of him. As he is leaving he says to him "My name is George Washington, and this is what you get for what you did to my country!" Osama, shaken, gets up and continues to climb the stairs again, albeit quite fatigued now and aching all over. All of a sudden another grey-haired old man attacks him, pummeling him with his fists until his face is a pulpy mess, and declaring "I'm John Adams... and this is what you get for the way you treated American citizens!" Osama, now trembling in fear, slowly begins to once again mount the stairs, whereupon a third grey-haired old man attacks him, beating him within an inch of his life. He stares down triumphantly at the cowering man at his feet and shouts "I'm Thomas Jefferson, and we don't let scum like you get away with the crimes you committed against the United States. Osama can't believe his own eyes. All his life he had placed his faith in the promises of the Koran... and yet this had occurred. He agonizingly drags himself the few remaining stairs to the top, where a bearded ancient man in a white robe is making entries in a ledger. "Are you God?" Osama utters. "No," says St. Peter, "but I can answer any questions you might have." Osama lifts his tired head one final time and asks "but what about the 72 virgins awaiting me in Heaven?"

St. Peter looks down disdainfully upon the disgraced man and says...

"That was 72 Virginians, you fool." :lol:
beauanderos

Postby Oakair » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:43 pm

shinnosuke wrote:Umm, $1805.80, ladies. Thanks go out to The Bernank.

Edited to say that at 3:33P it's $1824.80. That was some correction. ;)

Not a bad day for gold at all!
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:53 pm

that was good Ray.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:54 pm

beauanderos wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:...where is Thomas Jefferson when we need him?

So anyway, Osama Bin Laden gets summoned from Death's Waiting Room and he exits thru the only door. He sees a staircase of golden steps ascending into the clouds. "Ah, Praise Allah," he says to himself "it must be Heaven." So he begins to climb the steps, his excitement growing with each small advance that he makes, at what awaits him. Suddenly, from out of nowhere, a grey-haired old man rushes and tackles him, then proceeds to kick the crap out of him. As he is leaving he says to him "My name is George Washington, and this is what you get for what you did to my country!" Osama, shaken, gets up and continues to climb the stairs again, albeit quite fatigued now and aching all over. All of a sudden another grey-haired old man attacks him, pummeling him with his fists until his face is a pulpy mess, and declaring "I'm John Adams... and this is what you get for the way you treated American citizens!" Osama, now trembling in fear, slowly begins to once again mount the stairs, whereupon a third grey-haired old man attacks him, beating him within an inch of his life. He stares down triumphantly at the cowering man at his feet and shouts "I'm Thomas Jefferson, and we don't let scum like you get away with the crimes you committed against the United States. Osama can't believe his own eyes. All his life he had placed his faith in the promises of the Koran... and yet this had occurred. He agonizingly drags himself the few remaining stairs to the top, where a bearded ancient man in a white robe is making entries in a ledger. "Are you God?" Osama utters. "No," says St. Peter, "but I can answer any questions you might have." Osama lifts his tired head one final time and asks "but what about the 72 virgins awaiting me in Heaven?"

St. Peter looks down disdainfully upon the disgraced man and says...

"That was 72 Virginians, you fool." :lol:

Great joke, but John Adams was a Yankee from Boston, wasn't he?
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:19 am

How was Osama supposed to know that? Adams just wanted to get in on the fun! :lol: (Uh... Doug? That was the way the joke was told to me... don't kill the messenger, alright?) So change it already, I'm sure plenty of Founding Fathers WERE from Virginia :roll: Ok, so you want to be a perfectionist? Substitute Patrick Henry for John Adams... but then most Americans wouldn't get the joke! You want to know what was REALLY funny??? After I read what I had typed, I realized I had written Obama every time, instead of Osama, after the first usage of his name. :oops: :lol:
beauanderos

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:34 am

beauanderos wrote:How was Osama supposed to know that? Adams just wanted to get in on the fun! :lol: (Uh... Doug? That was the way the joke was told to me... don't kill the messenger, alright?) So change it already, I'm sure plenty of Founding Fathers WERE from Virginia :roll: Ok, so you want to be a perfectionist? Substitute Patrick Henry for John Adams... but then most Americans wouldn't get the joke! You want to know what was REALLY funny??? After I read what I had typed, I realized I had written Obama every time, instead of Osama, after the first usage of his name. :oops: :lol:

Note to self: No more killing of messengers. Wow, somehow I was reading Obama every time, even though you had clearly written Bin Laden in the first mention of Osama's name...
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals