Selling Silver for Capital?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Selling Silver for Capital?

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:58 pm

mortarman wrote:Should've known better than to have coffee after dinner.. and it's got me to thinking. Grandpa always told me never to eat to the seeds for next spring. Didn't have any idea what he was talking about back then, but it's starting to make sense.

The wife and I have been ardently buy-and-hold types since we were unplugged back in '08. But on a soldier's salary, and a new baby boy, I haven't got much cash to go hunting with. So I've been considering the pros and cons of selling a percentage of our holdings in order to free up some to capital to search more.

To make the math easy, we've got 218 Toz. at last count, or $9352 as of friday. I'd like to sell all of it and order 18 boxes of halves a week, but the risk seems too great that we'd miss a jump in prices or the balloon goes up and we're left holding the bag, sans silver. Then again, only 1 or 2k seems weak considering how many skunk boxes have been turning up, but that could be isolated to my experience. Guess it all boils down to: a) Where is the balance b/w risk and reward? and b) At what amount of cash will the volume of silver found v. time spent looking graph start to look like an exponential function going vertical?

I appreciate yalls thoughts and suggestions.

Trooper, first, i want to thank you with all my heart for taking up your place on the wall, i'm USN (ret) all the way, we're bro's. if you gotta go back to the suck. God bless and protect you. ok, can i give you a brief, lensed with a military metaphor? Lets think of the 218 toz , as the line you advanced to....light resistance, now is the time to set up FOB's and hold, hold the 218 line....you fought hard to get to that LOR, and the last thing you want to do is to relinguish your position, hoah? You're in a better postion than most citizens. Now i know military pay, and i'm also seeing that more and more citizens are sorting, and it seems to me, that the risk/reward is not canted in favor of the sorter. I've never sorted, nothing against it, but time is growing short....and the precentage's of silver attained is growing less, therefore accumulation should be decisive.
as i write this rolls of 90% pre 65 American coinage are trading, 33 times face..a $10 FV roll , $330 for 7.23 Toz...now i realize 330 is a big dent out of army pay..if you can manage it...you might want to look at rolls of 65-69 40% Kennedys, each coin containing .15 toz silver a coin and each roll 2.95 toz, and the good thing, is you can get them at or near melt....in short, hold the line.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:18 pm

Just my 2 cents, If you need additional capital for shorting I would use my paycheck, Line up your coin orders to match your Pay schedule, Get Paid In - Cash, Pick Up Coin, Sort, Dump, Deposit your paycheck, pay the bills. Get a good pattern.

Cash your paycheck at your pick up bank and get paid in half dollar boxes plus some FRNs for rounding.
Drive over to your dump bank
Sort it in the car outside your dump bank,
Take all the reject inside and despot it and any other FRNs in your account
Use a debt card/bill pay of your dump bank, to live out of.

You could do the whole thing done in 2 hours or less.

If your already doing this, I wouldn't sell any already collected silver not now. I really believe silver is undervalued. hold the line. You might be able to have a friend loan you some money to sort a larger amount(You could toss them 1 in 10 coins as a fee), if they are trusted they could even hold your silver(but theifs happen even to people you trust).

Ask yourself, is there anything I could do with my time to earn FRNs, I bet your time is worth more as some skill you have then as a sorter, Sorting doesn't pay well, working for FRNs and then buying silver is most likely a better use of your time.

For example I recently believe its better to have a garden then to sort, The return on a garden for my time should be greater, but of course a good part time job wouldn't be bad either.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm

ardorlan, that is a damn GOOD post, you have a fine mind, cunning and sharp, i mean that.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennybug » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 pm

I wouldn't do that honestly. Your better off finding a part time job and using the earnings to buy silver at spot.... unless you're finding more silver melt value than you can make at a part time job. I haven't heard of anyone making more than minimum wage over the long run searching.... in ANY form. My wife searched for a few weeks "full time". DID NOT pay off. I've searched boxes and heard of others searching boxes. I haven't heard of anyone making GOOD money at it. I treat the whole thing as a good paying hobby... NOT a part time job.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:52 pm

I wouldn't do that honestly. Your better off finding a part time job and using the earnings to buy silver at spot.... unless you're finding more silver melt value than you can make at a part time job. I haven't heard of anyone making more than minimum wage over the long run searching.... in ANY form. My wife searched for a few weeks "full time". DID NOT pay off. I've searched boxes and heard of others searching boxes. I haven't heard of anyone making GOOD money at it. I treat the whole thing as a good paying hobby... NOT a part time job.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby twentybux » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:47 pm

[quote="ardorlan"]Just my 2 cents, If you need additional capital for shorting I would use my paycheck, Line up your coin orders to match your Pay schedule, Get Paid In - Cash, Pick Up Coin, Sort, Dump, Deposit your paycheck, pay the bills. Get a good pattern.

I'm with with ardorlan on this one. Hold the line with what you have. You worked too hard to accumulate that much. Me and my wife use two credit cards for just about EVERYTHING. They are paid off at the end of each month. The way I figure it I am using the Big Boys' FRN for a 28 day cycle to let me hunt for silver. When the cc bills come in, we pay them off completely. Also picking up some reward points for using that plastic crap anyway. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby wagsthadog » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:03 am

Pennybug wrote:I wouldn't do that honestly. Your better off finding a part time job and using the earnings to buy silver at spot.... unless you're finding more silver melt value than you can make at a part time job. I haven't heard of anyone making more than minimum wage over the long run searching.... in ANY form. My wife searched for a few weeks "full time". DID NOT pay off. I've searched boxes and heard of others searching boxes. I haven't heard of anyone making GOOD money at it. I treat the whole thing as a good paying hobby... NOT a part time job.

Hi there-

I couldn't agree more with Pennybug on this- Keep anything you get as a nice profit, and just keep $1-$1.5 K as your grubstake. Believe me it's a pain to obtain and dump over $2k, you're thinking $18K???
But, I don't know the percentages in your area- who knows..but everytime I got greedy I got nothing, or less than what I thought. When I did it casually, I got some nice days.

JMO wags
wagsthadog
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:18 am

Pennybug wrote:I wouldn't do that honestly. Your better off finding a part time job and using the earnings to buy silver at spot.... unless you're finding more silver melt value than you can make at a part time job. I haven't heard of anyone making more than minimum wage over the long run searching.... in ANY form. My wife searched for a few weeks "full time". DID NOT pay off. I've searched boxes and heard of others searching boxes. I haven't heard of anyone making GOOD money at it. I treat the whole thing as a good paying hobby... NOT a part time job.

I totally agree Pennybug, For me the best part about searching as a hobby is not the "pay" but the fact I make a little money instead of costing me money like my hobbies of the past, The money I save by having this hobbie over a different hobbie is a good amount. If searching is something you enjoy do as much as you enjoy doing and no more, and I wouldn't want silver searching to cost me money as that would make it loose its appeal. (Might as well just buy lotto tickets)
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:22 am

twentybux wrote:
I'm with with ardorlan on this one. Hold the line with what you have. You worked too hard to accumulate that much. Me and my wife use two credit cards for just about EVERYTHING. They are paid off at the end of each month. The way I figure it I am using the Big Boys' FRN for a 28 day cycle to let me hunt for silver. When the cc bills come in, we pay them off completely. Also picking up some reward points for using that plastic crap anyway. :D

Now theres an idea!!

How do you buy boxes with CC though? Do you withdraw cash or w.e and then use that?
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mortarman » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:14 pm

Sounds like twentybux does it in reverse. Covers all his expenses with credit cards, while using the cash to sort and stack. Rinse and repeat at the end of every month. Clever.
mortarman

Postby Mossy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 pm

ardorlan wrote:Just my 2 cents, If you need additional capital for shorting I would use my paycheck, Line up your coin orders to match your Pay schedule, Get Paid In - Cash, Pick Up Coin, Sort, Dump, Deposit your paycheck, pay the bills. Get a good pattern.

That's a great strategy. Might tip the dump bank what to expect. Tell the truth (part of it), you are searching for "collectables".

Large stores might be good places to dump coins so they don't have to make bank runs. Base exchange, Walmart, etc.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:46 pm

Mossy wrote:
ardorlan wrote:Just my 2 cents, If you need additional capital for shorting I would use my paycheck, Line up your coin orders to match your Pay schedule, Get Paid In - Cash, Pick Up Coin, Sort, Dump, Deposit your paycheck, pay the bills. Get a good pattern.

That's a great strategy. Might tip the dump bank what to expect. Tell the truth (part of it), you are searching for "collectables".

Large stores might be good places to dump coins so they don't have to make bank runs. Base exchange, Walmart, etc.

I kind of get the feeling that your dump bank would mind you dumping allot less if it goes into your bank account. I mean that is what banks like right? people depositing money
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby twentybux » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 pm

mortarman wrote:Sounds like twentybux does it in reverse. Covers all his expenses with credit cards, while using the cash to sort and stack. Rinse and repeat at the end of every month. Clever.

Yes. You got it. :D
"If 'ifs and buts' were candies and nuts we'd all have a happy Christmas." -- Coach Jackson (my 8th grade track coach)

twentybux
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:54 pm

Dont do it! Maybe sella grand or two to free up capital,but not the whole stach! Im gettin like 1 40% per box on average.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby mflugher » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 pm

Umm why not take a loan out and use 20% of your silver as collateral??? you will pay 5% or so interest but if you can't cycle enough coins to make 1%/month then you should reconsider your use of time... perhaps a different hobby will net more profits which you can buy silver @ retail, using less gas/time...
mflugher
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals