Pawn Shops?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pawn Shops?

Postby chris819 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi i was wondering if anyone ever bought silver coins from pawn shops? If so how are their prices? Also can you pick what coins and years you want. Also can you list some of your deals you found. I am going to check this one pawn shop on Thursday. Thanks Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Pawn Shops?

Postby Oakair » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Never tried...They are in it for profit...they follow spot and wont sell below would be my guess
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby mtalbot_ca » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:18 pm

The two pawn shops in my town, do not deal with coins or bullion. I am thinking of leaving them my card and giving them a finder's fee.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Pennybug » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:38 pm

I go to a pawn/coin shop in NOWHERE Ga quite frequently. I get some good deals there quite frequently. I just walked in and started talkin with the fella. Good guy... good dealer. No complaints. He's pretty much my regular. So yeah... I think it depends on the dudes runnin the place.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby tn-dave » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:03 am

I've got a small pawn shop in my town I was buying from about six months ago but it was more trouble dealing with him than it was worth. Especially after joining here and then discovering the monthly coin show in my area. He was one of those guys who acted like he was doing you a favor just getting out of his chair and taking your money. Got 4or5 pretty nice Morgans from him for $20 each though (which back them was a little high)
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby dan53 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:45 am

Around here you can expect Red Book prices, which I will never pay again. Or at least not while I have access to online auctions.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:59 am

A pawn in my town prefers Morgans and other US coins, so he puts a high premium above spot on them. However, he sells .999 rounds at spot. Usually, he does not have much Ag or Au in stock.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:39 pm

I have been very lucky with a couple of pawn shops. A couple months ago, I got a nice looking set of war nickels (12 total) for $10. At another small, junky pawn shop where my wife is from, I asked for his price on some silver and ended up having to make a very fast run to an ATM. It was around last Christmas and I asked how much he wanted for a couple Walkers and silver quarters. He said $7 each for the halves and $4 each for the quarters. I bought all he had. I went back later and pulled out about 6 40% halves from his box of random halves for $1 a piece. Very good day for me. That will be the first place I visit next time we go to my wife's parents place- sorry, inlaws. :D

At another place just a couple weeks ago, I picked up a few silver Canadian quarters for $2.50 each.

You just never know. I always go in and see if they have anything. Usually, I come out empty handed, but every now and then...
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby chris819 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:49 pm

Thanks 4 the help on trying pawn shops. Chris
chris819
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ardorlan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:57 am

Ive been in 3 pawn shops their prices are always way high.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby saltydecks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am

2 pawn shops around here don't do silver, only gold, and only US coins, way over spot
saltydecks
Penny Sorter Member

Postby ardorlan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:48 am

Yeah, I keep looking. Saw some coins at an antique store, (again way over spot), I think Thrift stores and yard sells are the best. I am always looking but never finding the old piggy bank that has not good way to open it.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals