you got to like it

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

you got to like it

Postby neilgin1 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:24 pm

just the way silver trades everyday,,,charts look great,,,if you look at the daily bar....theres a really nice band coiling,if you look at the weeklies, a beautiful ascending uptrend.....and it's still readibly available for frns...whats not to like?.....that it trades physical between 40-45?

we will say, 'i remember when silver was trading down at 40'......much the same guys now 'member' silver at $5 .
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: you got to like it

Postby dakota1955 » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:44 pm

I remember silver below 5.
dakota1955
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:48 pm

dakota1955 wrote:I remember silver below 5.

I remember as a kid standing in a baseball card shop. "investing" my money into basebal cards. the guy actually told me that owned the shop that I wasnt like his regular tools, and I should buy these morgans dollars at $5 a piece.... :shock: he seemed genuinely disappointed when I didnt, and instead bought some cards.... If I ever get a time machine Im going to go back and kick my own @$$ at that point..... :lol:
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Dumpster Diver » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:23 pm

Treetop wrote:
dakota1955 wrote:I remember silver below 5.

I remember as a kid standing in a baseball card shop. "investing" my money into basebal cards. the guy actually told me that owned the shop that I wasnt like his regular tools, and I should buy these morgans dollars at $5 a piece.... :shock: he seemed genuinely disappointed when I didnt, and instead bought some cards.... If I ever get a time machine Im going to go back and kick my own @$$ at that point..... :lol:

Me too..I got burned on cards as well back in the day...

Hey! cards are made of.... paper. Hmmmmm....
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:27 pm

:lol:

My childhood days saw tons of kids blow money on Pokemon cards...

Good thing I started a coin collection very young due to moving around an absurd amount...Luckily my favorite coins were old US dollars :D
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:25 pm

Also got a ton of paper baseball cards from my childhood. Mainly 1985 through the mid 1990's. Enjoyed coins then but didnt know much about them. Used to go through all my dad's silver (mostly Morgans and Peace dollars) but never though of buying any. All of it he got for face. Always wondered why someone would pay more than face for coins... Now these coins are the backbone of my collection. Wouldnt sell them ever and they will be passed down to my kids, unlike the baseball cards.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Treetop » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:02 pm

AGCoinHunter wrote:Also got a ton of paper baseball cards from my childhood. Mainly 1985 through the mid 1990's. Enjoyed coins then but didnt know much about them. Used to go through all my dad's silver (mostly Morgans and Peace dollars) but never though of buying any. All of it he got for face. Always wondered why someone would pay more than face for coins... Now these coins are the backbone of my collection. Wouldnt sell them ever and they will be passed down to my kids, unlike the baseball cards.

yeah thats what makes it worse to. I always thought coins were neat. Heck i had a collection i collected out of pocket change even including a few mercs I had found. I used to find them a lot in the mid 80s. Not sure if they were super common in my area or I just got lucky.

I had been standing there looking at the morgans when he said that to me to. But I had no idea what silver coins were. I remember thinking that the cards had a value backing them, all those players and their careers. the rarity of mint cards. :( And the coins were just old, how could they appreciate in value? :shock:

Sorry to divert the thread...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:04 pm

I have two boys. I wish I could get them to buy coins instead of magic and pokemon cards.

Edited to add that I cannot complain much. My youngest is into scrapping. We took a couple of loads of junk to the yard last week. He got his share for helping.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:27 am

Treetop wrote:
Sorry to divert the thread...

sorry?...why?, threads are meant to divert, thats why its called discussion, and its also how we come to the greater sharing and strenghtening of bonds, though they be only from far away.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby silverflake » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Good people of RealCent, the one year daily chart on silver, for any of those chartists out there like me, it starting look absolutely beautiful. After that push toward $50/ounce in the spring it has consolidated nicely for about 5 months. Look at what happened to silver in 1980 - it hit $50 (intraday only) then plummeted. It was an exhaustion blow off. And it never really recovered until it bottomed around $4/ounce in the late 1990's (ah, the good old days...). Silver now has held on strong and is simmering for it's next run. Now it is bumping its head around $42-43 but just nice and slowly extending it's consolidation pattern. The longer that right sided line extends on the chart, the more coiled it will be for a rise. It's kind of like a long wick burning outward until it hits the TNT. Grab some while you can, this next push will find some resistance at the $50 mark again but once we push above - I believe you won't even be able to catch your breath before $75/ounce. Just my 2 cents worth (copper as always).

By the way, I have some sports cards too. Yes, some were wastes of money (could have bought mercury dimes!!!) but come on, some are great fun showing to my boys like my 1972 Bobby Orr or my 1967 Hank Aaron, 1976 Fred Lynn and Jim Rice...can't put a price on it if I'm with my boys.
Keep the faith gang.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:59 pm

You do realize, of course, that in some forums you can get flamed for posting on topic?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Oakair wrote::lol:

My childhood days saw tons of kids blow money on Pokemon cards...

Good thing I started a coin collection very young due to moving around an absurd amount...Luckily my favorite coins were old US dollars :D

If you can still find silver in halves, once my kids are about 5 years old, they are going to start sorting. and I plan to make "What is Money", "History of Money", Investing, and Accounting/book keeping. all home school topics.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:09 pm

my 8 year old has been sorting since he was 5. he told us yesterday he wants to get paid in gold, lol.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:27 pm

Lemon Thrower wrote:my 8 year old has been sorting since he was 5. he told us yesterday he wants to get paid in gold, lol.

now, THAT is a fine young man...smart.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:28 pm

silverflake wrote:Good people of RealCent, the one year daily chart on silver, for any of those chartists out there like me, it starting look absolutely beautiful. After that push toward $50/ounce in the spring it has consolidated nicely for about 5 months. Look at what happened to silver in 1980 - it hit $50 (intraday only) then plummeted. It was an exhaustion blow off. And it never really recovered until it bottomed around $4/ounce in the late 1990's (ah, the good old days...). Silver now has held on strong and is simmering for it's next run. Now it is bumping its head around $42-43 but just nice and slowly extending it's consolidation pattern. The longer that right sided line extends on the chart, the more coiled it will be for a rise. It's kind of like a long wick burning outward until it hits the TNT. Grab some while you can, this next push will find some resistance at the $50 mark again but once we push above - I believe you won't even be able to catch your breath before $75/ounce. Just my 2 cents worth (copper as always).

By the way, I have some sports cards too. Yes, some were wastes of money (could have bought mercury dimes!!!) but come on, some are great fun showing to my boys like my 1972 Bobby Orr or my 1967 Hank Aaron, 1976 Fred Lynn and Jim Rice...can't put a price on it if I'm with my boys.
Keep the faith gang.

man, you said that good, i'm sold!
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals