Do you break down common date mint sets for the silver

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Do you break down common date mint sets for the silver

Postby Pennysaved » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:49 pm

I was at a coin store today and noticed that the dealer was cutting apart mint sets and put them with the junk 90% silver.

Makes me wonder how many other people are breaking them down.

Will that make them more valuable one day?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Do you break down common date mint sets for the silver

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 pm

I broke down dozens of them..... Look at apmex selling rolls of it, clearly many others do to. the old sets from the 60s dont appear to have any premiums lots of those have been cracked open to. Not saying they never will though. I think the boxing and packaging with the mint stuff is way to shabby to inspire many folks myself.... slabbed coins are another matter...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Do you break down common date mint sets for the silver

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:53 pm

Sometimes possible to get the silver mint and proof sets with tarnished or hazy coins. Even some of the recent proof silver state quarters can be bought for melt if they have cracked holders. I cut up most as they become available. I do check the Franklins for Full Bell Lines (FBL) and even the earlier nickels for Full Steps before rolling up everything.

Most dealers are willing to part with damaged goods that the general public would refuse to buy. I've been able to go back of spot from 3-5% in some cases by using the argument that the dealer was going to save on postage to send these somewhere and my FRNs were immediate (CIF) Cash In Fist for them.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals