Friedman on inflation and alternative currencies

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Friedman on inflation and alternative currencies

Postby Economist » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:40 am

"It takes very high rates of inflation--rates well up in the double digits that persist for years--before people will stop using the money that is so obviously inflating. And when they do lose faith in the fiction, they do not revert straight to barter. No, they adopt substitute currencies. The substitute currencies in most inflations in history have been gold, silver, or copper specie, often, as during the American Revolution, in the form of coins of foreign countries. What's more, people may not abandon paper altogether: they may turn instead to paper money that has not been overissued."

Friedman, Milton. 1994. "The Mystery of Money" in Money Mischief
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Friedman on inflation and alternative currencies

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:44 am

wisdom and history would seem to buttress that statement. Thanks, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby BOHICA » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:51 am

Economist wrote:"It takes very high rates of inflation--rates well up in the double digits that persist for years--before people will stop using the money that is so obviously inflating. And when they do lose faith in the fiction, they do not revert straight to barter. No, they adopt substitute currencies. The substitute currencies in most inflations in history have been gold, silver, or copper specie, often, as during the American Revolution, in the form of coins of foreign countries. What's more, people may not abandon paper altogether: they may turn instead to paper money that has not been overissued."

What about inflation rates in the triple, quadruple and qunituple digits? :?: Doesn't take long to lose faith at those rates (i.e. Weimar and Zimbabwe).
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby silverflake » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:36 pm

Have any of you ever read about weimer republic Germany during the early 1920's? The money began inflating so fast that the people who did have the 'foresight' tried to buy gold and silver until there was none to be had (or at least no one would accept the hyperinflated Mark) so then, if they could afford to, they bought whatever they could of value. Those who still had some 'wealth' bought pianos (yes pianos!). From there it was downhill to the point where people bought anything not made of German paper (bedpans and metal hairbrushes were very popular). I still believe that all fiat currency returns to its intrinsic value (ZERO) but despite my own prepping, I don't think the dollar is going to fail SOON. Oh yes, it will fail, but the time frame might be longer than we think. By the way, as far as a one-world-currency, some one, in one of the chat rooms about 2-3 weeks ago posted a link to the IMF. It had a PDF document from an April 2010 meeting of the G8 or G20 or whoever addressing the worlds money reserves. In it, on page 4 was a scenario with a generic time frame set up of 'short term plans', medium term plans' and 'long term plans'. The bubble in the 'long term plan' category was, drum roll please, one-world-currency. Take it for what its worth but it did make the hair on the back of my neck stand up. Sorry I don't have the link. Anyone else remember? It might have been in the paper money forums - Best Fiat Currency - or something like that.
You guys are truly stimulating and thought provoking.
Keep the faith.
silverflake
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby didou » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:18 pm

History is a great teacher, but i think the scenario we are living in never happen before.
There is no where to go today, as all currency seem to fail at the same time.
Never country have been so much interconnected and importation and exportation have exploded and are higher than ever before, every country now rely on each other for basic necessity like oil (heating/food/transportation/...).

I think we need to be careful comparing what we have now with what happen in the past.
For these past event, either food was grow locally without the use of oil OR every other country on the planet wasn't failing at the same time.
This time it may be different.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby BOHICA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:40 pm

If you search the web you can still find copies of "When money dies: The nightmare of the Weimar collapse" that covers this topic very well. You can even track down a PDF copy if you look for it.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:50 pm

http://www.imf.org/external/np/pp/eng/2010/041310.pdf

Page 4 list on chart global currency.

I talked about this a long time ago as well in a post on here September 2010:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=483
Copper Catcher
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:58 pm

As taxpayers we are financing the demise of our sovereignty through the funding of the IMF and the BIS. The people in charge don't intend for there to be "countries" in terms of free and independent nations. According to their plan, there will only be entities that belong to a world government, with a world currency. This is obviously a lot bigger issue than: Who ya gonna vote for next time, the Democrat or the Republican? They're almost all completely complicit in this treachery anyway.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:25 pm

In Zimbabwe, they kept using paper because they could find someone to take it off their hands.

"One world currency"? (shudder) Probably under the control of the UN. What would that best be called? "A Klaven of Kleptocrats"?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:44 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:http://www.imf.org/external/np/pp/eng/2010/041310.pdf

Page 4 list on chart global currency.

I talked about this a long time ago as well in a post on here September 2010:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=483

Thanks, Copper Catcher. That is what my wife has been telling me for about 12 years now. We are headed to a one world government with a one world currency. I showed her the report with the graph.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:52 pm

Economist wrote:"It takes very high rates of inflation--rates well up in the double digits that persist for years--before people will stop using the money that is so obviously inflating. And when they do lose faith in the fiction, they do not revert straight to barter. No, they adopt substitute currencies. The substitute currencies in most inflations in history have been gold, silver, or copper specie, often, as during the American Revolution, in the form of coins of foreign countries. What's more, people may not abandon paper altogether: they may turn instead to paper money that has not been overissued."

Man, if you don't jump in right now and hoard it, there will not be any left to find come the double digit inflation we will all see one day.

I vividly remember the last time the prime interest rate was over 20%. Thousands went bankrupt. It took 20 years for things to get back up to the same level of hourly wage for Johnny Paycheck in my region of the country. I think we will see this again, too soon.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:46 pm

The US buck is in a race to the bottom with the Euro and the Pound. As they continue to gain momentum in this spiral (think flushing swirl) there's no chance of returning to what was the so-called norm of several years ago.

Gold and silver in any form will be the defacto currency of the realm. These are internationally recognized as having intrinsic value and a method by which to stabilize their wealth. There will also be a second tier of exchange. It may be a bartering system for goods or services or an item that's recognized by the recipient for its value to them. This could be a bushel of corn, but could also be a bottle of Jack Daniels, carton of smokes or a box of 9mm ammo.

We can speculate all we want about how we'd function in a Weimar Republic environment, but that's just the beginning. Our greatest treasure is common sense, an understanding of cause and effect, the ability to quickly communicate with people who may not initially understand what you're trying to say and logical thinking. Oh yes. Don't forget about love for family and friends that'll spark a wildfire of courage in most situations and guts for the rest.

Most of the GDP (Generally Dumb Public) won't have a clue how to function in the new environment. What's REALLY important to you?
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

Man, if you don't jump in right now and hoard it, there will not be any left to find come the double digit inflation we will all see one day.

I vividly remember the last time the prime interest rate was over 20%. Thousands went bankrupt. It took 20 years for things to get back up to the same level of hourly wage for Johnny Paycheck in my region of the country. I think we will see this again, too soon.

I think you are right. What do you think about copper pennies as a good everyday currency for groceries and everything like it? I mean: people won't trade Ag oz for grocery... that would be like paying with a 1000$ bill today...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:56 pm

balz wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

I think you are right. What do you think about copper pennies as a good everyday currency for groceries and everything like it? I mean: people won't trade Ag oz for grocery... that would be like paying with a 1000$ bill today...

I hoard a small amount of copper (and brass pennies, too) and will add to it as time allows. I also hoard lead, and aluminum. There are a lot of good discussions about copper pennies in the copper bullion forum.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Yeah I know, but I'd like to get opinions from other people as well as we mostly discuss tricks about the HOW to get more pennies rather than the WHY! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals