Cost per ounce.... time to broaden the mind.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Cost per ounce.... time to broaden the mind.

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:03 am

We all follow silver and golds spot. Most of us check Coppers per pound spot daily as well.

I think it would be fun to evaluate other price units of random things in ounces. (yeah I know Avi and troy differ...but level with me here)

Pictures welcome. :)

I will get us Started.

Here is a Musky Lure I bought last night online:
The Legand "Out-Cast". This shallow, jointed version from Legend will swim with the sharks. Cast in the 3’-4’ range for shallow cover or troll it down to 6’-7’. The “Outcast” will run true and trolls well at 4-5 mph. Solid plastic construction is tooth-proof!

$35.99 for 3.9 ounces of lure = $9.29 per ounce
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: Cost per ounce.... time to broaden the mind.

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:16 am

Just order some more fish for my aqua culture set ups.... With shipping which was the expensive part (but always include shipping in my silver or gold cost averages) they cost about 310 for 1.5 pounds... 21.87 ounces so... 14.17 an ounce. of course they grow, so it brings my averages down over time. its to bad I cant feed my silver...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:25 am

If my wife weighs 362 pounds av and she costs $30,000 per year to maintain, that comes to about $5.75 per troy ounce annually
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:45 am

Thogey wrote:If my wife weighs 362 pounds av and she costs $30,000 per year to maintain, that comes to about $5.75 per troy ounce annually

:lol: Yep that one was a good one.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:46 am

Treetop wrote:Just order some more fish for my aqua culture set ups.... With shipping which was the expensive part (but always include shipping in my silver or gold cost averages) they cost about 310 for 1.5 pounds... 21.87 ounces so... 14.17 an ounce. of course they grow, so it brings my averages down over time. its to bad I cant feed my silver...

Species? and Size?
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:57 am

Isreali common carp. It is the most highly bred and used aquaculture fish on the planet, but I might be the only one in the country using them for food despite worldwide it being the most purposely raised fish. I bought them from a place in ohio that only has them for bait. I was on a few aquaculture forums for awhile and no one had ever even heard of them. Weird how that is. they are as tastier then tilapia the main fish for aquaculture in the states if raised right. Tilapia are ALSO crappy in the wild. Go down to florida sometime where tilapia are feral, no one will eat them. tilapia also do not have the good omega 3s and such unless they got it form their food sources, carp like almost all other fish do.

At this point they are tiny. like feeder goldfish size. They will be huge eventually. The ones i got last year are about 10 inches long and FAT. If Im lucky they will breed by spring, but might not be until the following spring... Ive got a 8 foot diameter tank for them now, 2 feet tall. they love it in there.

Tilapia breed much younger. They actually work well with the carp because tilapia can eat "greenwater".... and the greenwater will eat up the excess wastes in the water... Still working out the bugs but its a very interesting topic for me. Ive got tilapia in their own greenwater tanks and havent feed them for months. they still grow as fast as the carp. Going to work the two together next year. the biggest of the tilapia are also about 10 inches... I could start eating them soon to because they have babies younger and I already have more babies then i started with. but i will probably let them breed a few more times first and get bigger.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:28 am

Treetop wrote:Isreali common carp. It is the most highly bred and used aquaculture fish on the planet, but I might be the only one in the country using them for food despite worldwide it being the most purposely raised fish. I bought them from a place in ohio that only has them for bait. I was on a few aquaculture forums for awhile and no one had ever even heard of them. Weird how that is. they are as tastier then tilapia the main fish for aquaculture in the states if raised right. Tilapia are ALSO crappy in the wild. Go down to florida sometime where tilapia are feral, no one will eat them. tilapia also do not have the good omega 3s and such unless they got it form their food sources, carp like almost all other fish do.

At this point they are tiny. like feeder goldfish size. They will be huge eventually. The ones i got last year are about 10 inches long and FAT. If Im lucky they will breed by spring, but might not be until the following spring... Ive got a 8 foot diameter tank for them now, 2 feet tall. they love it in there.

Tilapia breed much younger. They actually work well with the carp because tilapia can eat "greenwater".... and the greenwater will eat up the excess wastes in the water... Still working out the bugs but its a very interesting topic for me. Ive got tilapia in their own greenwater tanks and havent feed them for months. they still grow as fast as the carp. Going to work the two together next year. the biggest of the tilapia are also about 10 inches... I could start eating them soon to because they have babies younger and I already have more babies then i started with. but i will probably let them breed a few more times first and get bigger.

ZAc, that is very cool, you're definitely 'going long' protein..nice play...protein will trade high...the feed must be a corn/soy mix?,,,isnt fish oil a really good food supp? can you extract fish oil yet?...nice walking the talk brother, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:14 am

I have paid $8.00 a pound for isreali carp before from the bait shop. The Flathead Cats love them. 4 inches average length. That was back in 2000-2003 When I was cat crazy.

So thats 50 cents per ounce for Common isreali Carp local pickup in WV not adjusted for inflation. :lol:

Shipping killed you Zac.

Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:22 am

yeah, he only wanted a buck a fish. and i got the impression they were cheaper in person. No one lists them for sale online being a bait fish. I hadnt even realized anyone sold them, it was a fluke I was trying to source ANY carp and was ordering koi from him, then he tells me of the isrealis and how much faster they grow, so I got them instead. What sane person would want to buy bait fish online? only me I guess... :lol: well if you can call me sane. i like to think so anyway. i called him a year later for more fish and he knew who I was as soon as I asked for them. I tried to get them from other sellers for more diverse genetics, but they either only deal in fancy mail order stuff or wont sell through the mail. This guy happens to straddle both, so I got lucky. He stocks ponds and such in ohio, and also sell koi and such online.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Some certain plant sells for anywhere from 160-350~ an ounce...Higher than silver (for now) :lol:

I just bought some chicken for 3.19 a lb (on sale apparently)...comes to .19 an ounce (avi)
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:44 pm

Oakair wrote:Some certain plant sells for anywhere from 160-350~ an ounce...Higher than silver (for now) :lol:

I just bought some chicken for 3.19 a lb (on sale apparently)...comes to .19 an ounce (avi)

Not to be that "one upper guy" but...

Now that makes you think. I only buy chicky when I can get the breast at $1.99 / pound. Thats less than 13 cents an ounce. Now thats some cheap lean protien!

Now candy bars, thats another story.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Oakair » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:53 pm

Wow! Didn't know the price of chicken varied that much across location...

Hopefully Denver is cheaper than fl...or im going to starve this school year :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Oakair wrote:Wow! Didn't know the price of chicken varied that much across location...

Hopefully Denver is cheaper than fl...or im going to starve this school year :lol:

You'll live. A 10-pack of 3oz Ramen goes for $1 on sale. That's $0.033 per AVDP oz :lol:
natsb88

Postby avidbrandy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Well my car weighs about 3443 pounds. That's about 50210 troy ounces. Car cost me $1800. That's about $0.36 per troy ounce. Not bad.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:39 pm

avidbrandy wrote:Well my car weighs about 3443 pounds. That's about 50210 troy ounces. Car cost me $1800. That's about $0.36 per troy ounce. Not bad.

Ha David! I love it. :P

Picked up a Coca-Cola after work today. 16.9 FL oz for 99 cents.
Thats about 6 cents per FL oz..........well worth it
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby uthminsta » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 pm

FOR THE ORIGINAL POST:
According to answers.com, a gallon of gas weighs 6.073 pounds. That comes to 3.7 cents per ounce if I do the calculations right. Doesn't sound so bad now...

FOR THE WAY THIS THREAD VEERED: Check out the hand-made lures my brother-in-law makes!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hitman-Lures/97317767385
Tell him Aaron sent ya!
uthminsta

Postby AGgressive Metal » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:12 pm

Thogey wrote:If my wife weighs 362 pounds av and she costs $30,000 per year to maintain, that comes to about $5.75 per troy ounce annually

You beat me to it. :lol:
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby Rosco » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 am

:mrgreen: Do you call her Little thing :?:
Rarely Hand Sorts ....Hope that the Hoard goes to the Boys
Rosco
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:42 am

chuck.png
chuck.png (46.95 KiB) Viewed 518 times

Chuck Norris' assets, net of all debts, total $27 million. His body weight is 2,479 t oz. That makes him worth $10,891.49/t oz.

Of course, if Chuck Norris stares at scrap iron it turns into platinum, so we mustn't think his value can be limited to just his current assets.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:47 am

I dont know why, but chuck norris jokes crack me up... hes a good guy though...
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby gettin copper » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:06 am

Oakair wrote:Wow! Didn't know the price of chicken varied that much across location...

Yeah, you gotta shop around. Solid chicken breast don't get into my house for more than $1.99 a pound. I do the food shopping, and for some reason, "get off" on the savings. I stop at sentry, pick-n-save, and piggly wiggley every week and only buy what's masively on sale. I can save 42-47% on average without coupons. That's with buying some stuff that we eat, even though it's not the best deal.

I got a couple deals today with coupons the girlfreind printed for me from the computer after she looked at the store flyers:

-12 pack mountain dew. 5 for $11 bucks. Printed me a $1 coupon that doubled, bringing the total to five 12 packs for $9 bucks, or $1.80 a peice.

-kellogs cereal or keebler crackers or cookies. Buy 8 and get for $1.88 a peice. Mininum retail price on each was $3.59, most over $4 bucks for the cereal. Girl printed $1 off coupon for 3 or more purchases of both the cereal and crackers witch both doubled. Retail on an average of $3.75 x 8 = $30. I got all those goods for 1.88 x 8 = $15.04 -$4 = $11.04 with minumal effort.

I lose most of my food savings by eating out and drinking, but I still like fat savings at the grocery store. Our favorite bar/restuarant in town just had a "buy 4 gift certificates, get one free deal. I bought 4 $75 gift cards and got one free for a total of $375, or 20% saving's on all our eating and drinking there. I made sure to ask, and make sure there not going out of bussiness anytime soon. We then go on thursday which is ladies night and half price drinks for girls. I drink the hell out of hers and nurse mine. We also grab the buy one dinner, get the 2nd half off coupon that comes in the mailer once every 2 weeks. I totally feel like I'm robbing the place most thursday's. We tip fat, and also get a bunch of free drinks from the bartender. Wow, long post for my lurking ass
gettin copper
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Oakair wrote:Some certain plant sells for anywhere from 160-350~ an ounce...Higher than silver (for now) :lol:

$160 - 350 per ounce??!! :o Wow, talk about inflation!!! Back in the day (mid '70's), it cost $10 per oz for the cheap stuff and $50 for the best Hawaiian. I tried to cultivate some better quality on my own... Lucky for me the old man caught me and set me straight. Who knows what could have happened to me? Millionaire? Convict? Both? :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:26 pm

$5.00 1/4 oz. hookless lure. $20 per oz. TONS of fun!

Image Garman Jack holding a keeper.

Gar can be mighty tasty when cooked right! The flavor will remind you of shrimp.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Oakair » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

$160 - 350 per ounce??!! :o Wow, talk about inflation!!! Back in the day (mid '70's), it cost $10 per oz for the cheap stuff and $50 for the best Hawaiian. I tried to cultivate some better quality on my own... Lucky for me the old man caught me and set me straight. Who knows what could have happened to me? Millionaire? Convict? Both? :lol:

:lol: What with the thread title, I thought some members might get a kick out of it...

The 70's aren't fair...Forget the plants...little sheets of paper with pictures on them today go for like 10$ (cant do the math, but mcg are quite small, making the price/oz quite the sum)...and who knows whats on them, they are all dirty and whatnot :o

What I wouldn't give to meet someone who saved supplies from back then...the world was a much purer place :lol:
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Robarons » Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:16 am

Gold was $40 an oz in 1971, Silver was $2-ish an ounce.

Base the plants in the same time frame and it seems reasonable. It seems like 'IT' is cheaper now when priced in gold and is likely of better quality.
Robarons
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals