Platinum vs Gold

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Platinum vs Gold

Postby slickeast » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:11 pm

How much longer can platinum stay ahead of gold? I think once gold passes platinum, it will start pulling away and leave platinum in the dust.
Last edited by slickeast on Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Platinum vs Gold

Postby Oakair » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 pm

Gold is definitely the better play in my eyes, but Im not too versed in platinum
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:34 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but I thought during times of economic, stability if you will, platinum is worth more than gold. However when we're having crap like right now gold is gone to as a safe haven.
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby blackrabbit » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:36 pm

I see them both as monetary metals and good stores of value. Platinum is much rarer than gold and in my mind should always be more valuable. If I could transmute all my gold (which is not very much) into platinum I would.
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:48 pm

Premiums are keeping physical Pd above Au for now. That’s the game changer you need to keep an eye on......I am.

If you can trade even..........do it.......quarter or half stack.......no further.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby BOHICA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Right now Apmex is showing Gold $2/oz ahead of Platinum.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Copper Catcher » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:33 pm

blackrabbit wrote:I see them both as monetary metals and good stores of value. Platinum is much rarer than gold and in my mind should always be more valuable. If I could transmute all my gold (which is not very much) into platinum I would.

I agree....At this point everything seems crazy and it is hard to tell which end is up.

Regardless, platinum in my opinion is under priced based on how rare this metal truly is compared to gold.

Having both metals is a safe bet!
Copper Catcher

Postby BOHICA » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:55 pm

The other thing about Pt is its industrial uses as a catalyst for so many things. Without it we would be in serious trouble.
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Treetop » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:33 pm

Copper Catcher wrote:
blackrabbit wrote:I see them both as monetary metals and good stores of value. Platinum is much rarer than gold and in my mind should always be more valuable. If I could transmute all my gold (which is not very much) into platinum I would.

I agree....At this point everything seems crazy and it is hard to tell which end is up.

Regardless, platinum in my opinion is under priced based on how rare this metal truly is compared to gold.

Having both metals is a safe bet!

well by that same token what of silver? Isnt it true that above ground silver available is lower then gold? that would imply its upside is even greater potentially. Its industrial uses are only set to increase as well....

Id like to get a platinum coin or two just to have it. sorry I missed those 1/10 pieces a member offered awhile back.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Know Common Cents » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:08 pm

Platinum is far rarer than gold, but not as widely accepted or understood by Joe and Josephine Sixpack.

If auto and electronics production takes a bigger dive, the platinum will lose some of its luster as an investment metal.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Oakair » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:43 pm

Can anyone explain that drop by plat?

I havent verified with any other sources...But kitco shows it down to 1820 for a minute :?
Oakair
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby avidbrandy » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:19 pm

Oakair wrote:Can anyone explain that drop by plat?

I havent verified with any other sources...But kitco shows it down to 1820 for a minute :?

Wow that was weird. Maybe Mubarak sold his stash. :P
avidbrandy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby slickeast » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:41 pm

Oakair wrote:Can anyone explain that drop by plat?

I just noticed that. Might have been a glitch.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:03 pm

If I was not buying silver, i would defiantly get Platinum over Gold, why would you buy Gold when platinum is not even close to it's historical high? It is a bargain right now.

Yes, gold may go up more, but it will drag platinum with it, and if gold falls, platinum will fall a lot less. Also consider that platinum is a LOT rarer than gold,( there is 15 X the amount of gold, compared to platinum) and as an industrial metal a lot has been consumed. Platinum is a great long term play IMHO.

Considering that their is 15X the amount of Gold in the earth than Platinum, and it's a lot like having Gold and Silver at the same price since they share the same ratio. Which would you buy if Gold and silver was the same price?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby beauanderos » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:06 am

Alright, alright... quit your nagging. You guys are like a bunch of old women :lol: Okay, so I just bought ten slabbed 1/10 oz platinum rounds http://www.ebay.com/itm/330609538029?ss ... 1439.l2649 mostly because despite my willingness, on another metals site, to swap 1/10 oz gold straight across for 1/10 oz platinum... even tho platinum is now $25 less in value... I have NO takers. What gives? Platinum dimes are hard to find. So... despite overpaying today, I now have a teensy platinum component to my holdings going forward. Was looking at a Russian Ballerina as well (1993 palladium)... but they are just too arcane. And who can read cyrillic? :lol:
Last edited by beauanderos on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby PennyBoy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:23 am

Sweeeeet buy, beau.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby NHsorter » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:17 am

Yeah, that was a good score. Nice find.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 am

Oakair wrote:Image

Gold is definitely the better play in my eyes, but Im not too versed in platinum

no no, see if you can chart the spread, put Plat first, and then Gold against it, see hows its trending, as a SPREAD, if memory serves correct, before this recent up move, Plat was 100 to 200 over Gold, thats what you're looking for, how does it chart, underneath Gold, is the "bottoming" happening at Plat 50 under Gold?
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:51 am

But see Plat like Palladium also has extensive uses in both hi tech apps, as well as being an important defense industry metal, airframes, satellites, etc. China's being doing a rare earth metal grab for years now, all of which is coveted by the defense and semiconductor industries, but i doubt the local coin dealer would be up for making a market in halfnium, or rhodium.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:04 am

VWBEAMER wrote:If I was not buying silver, i would defiantly get Platinum over Gold, why would you buy Gold when platinum is not even close to it's historical high? It is a bargain right now.

yeh, in relation to gold, sure...but on the other end. who's going to make a market for you?...i'm not saying Plat is of intense value, but if you're casting about for a FRN subsitute, and did have Gold, there is no way, i would dump Gold and buy Platinum in the physical..and then expect to have a liquid market at the other end, like you would in Gold...it might a good futures trade, like i said in that other post, but in the physical?...i dont know, maybe dealers and/or buyers will cop the attitude, they're doing you a favor, by making a market for you, and place their bid accordingly...which means you get jammed in the discount.

imHo, and i do underline humble, Silver's the vehicle, because your base of prospective buyers/traders is wide and deep, and even at 42-43...silver to me, seems like a bargain, whereas Plat at 1800 plus...? to get a 100% return, you'd be looking at 3600 plus, as opposed to 80 dollars with the silver....just food for thought.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:11 am

beauanderos wrote:Alright, alright... quit your nagging. You guys are like a bunch of old women :lol: Okay, so I just bought ten slabbed 1/10 oz platinum rounds http://www.ebay.com/itm/330609538029?ss ... 1439.l2649 mostly because despite my willingness, on another metals site, to swap 1/10 oz gold straight across for 1/10 oz platinum... even tho platinum is now $25 less in value... I have NO takers. What gives? Platinum dimes are hard to find. So... despite overpaying today, I now have a teensy platinum component to my holdings going forward. Was looking at a Russian Ballerina as well (1993 palladium)... but they are just too arcane. And who can read cyrillic? :lol:

Holy smokes Godfather, you aint playing games, are ya?...NOW THAT BUY...slabbed, etc...you'll find dealers etc , anytime,to make market for you. You're impressive, i like the way you slash and burn when you want something.....you are my Obi-Wan..lol
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals