Pawn Stars: You can't pay out in Gold?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Pawn Stars: You can't pay out in Gold?

Postby cesariojpn » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 am

If you haven't seen it, or were ignorant of it, a guy tried to sell a 1932 Lincoln KB Convertible V12 to Rick and the Old Man on Pawn Stars for gold. (Jump to 5:45).

http://www.history.com/shows/pawn-stars ... y-the-book

Interestingly enough, Rick claims that he is prohibited from paying out in Gold. To "circumvent" this, he pays the guy in cash, then after the guy "requests" Gold, then we have the gold payout. Anyone care to chime in what line of reasoning Rick is thinking?

And interestingly enough, is this analysis of the transaction correct?: http://community.history.com/topic/41327

Bluestab 06/08/11 13:32:39

I'm going to assume Phil was wanting full market value of gold (95k). If they were to give him what they buy gold at (30%) then he'd have come out better selling for cash money homey. Even devalued, 95k in dollars is worth more than 31k in gold. At face value, I'm fairly certain they went for 95k at that day's current gold rate. As far as the 5k he should make that back if gold continues to rise. They never give the seller what they want. In fact, they usually counter with 35-50% of what they want. At the same time, 5k is still less than what an auction fee would run....assuming he could get 100k bid for it. And yeah, Rick sold the gold for more than he paid for it. Most places buy scrap at 30% of the current rate so even at the most up to date price he's still only has around 32k in the 95k he gave the guy. Smart as hell in my opinion. Rick buys a car for 32k and Phil walks away with 95k worth of gold. It's like found money for Rick while Phil is still getting what he wanted.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Pawn Stars: You can't pay out in Gold?

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 am

My bet would be something to do with taxes. If you trade an item for gold on hand, there is no record of the transaction I am sure the tax man wants you have to pony up for the sales tax.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby walt2727 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:59 am

Similar thing happened to me last year here in central FL.
Converted numismatic coins to bullion coins and the coin dealer had to write up a purchase ticket and then a sales ticket.
walt2727
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Market Harmony » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:18 pm

My best guess is internal bookkeeping. It's easier to show a purchase separate from a sale. It's a wash any way you spin it, but it is just easier to account for it with 2 entries than it is for 1.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Postby Mossy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:38 pm

Yup. Taxes.

I doubt it's a legal problem, although a ticked off book keeper might end up arrested for beating someone over the head with a calculator.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby kidman232 » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:24 pm

this episode just happened to be on again tonight. looks like the old guy is up about 20K on his deal with rick at spot prices
never enough silver
kidman232
Penny Collector Member

Postby njoElec » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:41 pm

I would NEVER do business with pawn stars. I see too many people on that show getting ripped off.
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:16 pm

njoElec wrote:I would NEVER do business with pawn stars. I see too many people on that show getting ripped off.

Someone doesn't understand the concept of selling items to a business.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:09 pm

I wouldn't say that. Rick is in a position where he can pretty much pick and chose what he wants to double his money on and he's preying on the idiots. I saw one where he bought a Canadian (I believe) gold coin that they all agreed brings $4000 in an auction, and he got it for $2500. Hasn't that poor sap ever heard of eBay? I wouldn't ever sell anything to Pawn Stars either, its not because I don't like them, in fact I do, but I know way too much about the value of my possessions than they would ever deal with.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby cesariojpn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:16 am

tractorman wrote:I wouldn't say that. Rick is in a position where he can pretty much pick and chose what he wants to double his money on and he's preying on the idiots. I saw one where he bought a Canadian (I believe) gold coin that they all agreed brings $4000 in an auction, and he got it for $2500. Hasn't that poor sap ever heard of eBay? I wouldn't ever sell anything to Pawn Stars either, its not because I don't like them, in fact I do, but I know way too much about the value of my possessions than they would ever deal with.

On the flip side, people who sell to a Pawn Shop have the option to refuse the offer, try to haggle, and if they can't come to an agreement, they can just leave. He's not forcing them to accept. People only accept because it's fast cash in their pocket, and many don't want to take the effort to make more money for themselves.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby BlackOut » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:33 am

tractorman wrote:I wouldn't say that. Rick is in a position where he can pretty much pick and chose what he wants to double his money on and he's preying on the idiots. I saw one where he bought a Canadian (I believe) gold coin that they all agreed brings $4000 in an auction, and he got it for $2500. Hasn't that poor sap ever heard of eBay? I wouldn't ever sell anything to Pawn Stars either, its not because I don't like them, in fact I do, but I know way too much about the value of my possessions than they would ever deal with.

agreed they could get a lot more of ebay, but I am sure most of these people are needed quick money, especially in vegas. If it were me, I would figure out a different way to go.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals