Time to sell some gold to buy platinum?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Time to sell some gold to buy platinum?

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 am

Looking at the chart today, Gold is at $1896 while platinum is at $1880.

Do you think this will be a continuing trend with gold being worth more than platinum? I assume this is due to the concerns of a continued bad economy and the decreased use of Platinum in cars? Is it time to cash in some gold to buy platinum?
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Time to sell some gold to buy platinum?

Postby slvrbck » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:58 am

I say go for it, but good luck finding any of that stuff anywhere. I have been agressively buying any resonably priced PM's for several years now and have only managed to stumble across two 1/10oz PAE's. I really like them too.
Soooo... Is it just me or is a chart of US debt looking dangerously parabolic?
slvrbck
Penny Collector Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:35 pm

It's all a matter of premium over spot for both. Could work out in your favor or against you, too. I know that some 1 oz AGEs are being retailed for $100 or more over spot. Would be interesting to have either to trade with the same dealer and them learn what the spread would be.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:06 pm

I just posted this in another thread...

If I was not buying silver, i would defiantly get Platinum over Gold, why would you buy Gold when platinum is not even close to it's historical high? It is a bargain right now.

Yes, gold may go up more, but it will drag platinum with it, and if gold falls, platinum will fall a lot less. Also consider that platinum is a LOT rarer than gold,( there is 15 X the amount of gold, compared to platinum) and as an industrial metal a lot has been consumed. Platinum is a great long term play IMHO.

Considering that their is 15X the amount of Gold in the earth than Platinum, and it's a lot like having Gold and Silver at the same price since they share the same ratio. Which would you buy if Gold and silver was the same price?
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Lemon Thrower » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:16 pm

i'm not buying any plat. i bought some pdm at the bottom in 2008 and traded it a year ago. if i was going to buy either, it'd be pdm because it can sub for plat in a lot of applications. but netiher pdm or plat are monetary metals the way gold and silver are, so they are far riskier. if you think new car production is likely to increase soon, its a good thing to buy. me, i think even the chinese are about to stop buying cars.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby VWBEAMER » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:24 pm

It's a long term buy. Kinda like buying Gold in 2005
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine."
" --Theodore Roosevelt
VWBEAMER
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:48 am

VWBEAMER wrote:It's a long term buy. Kinda like buying Gold in 2005

That's the way I'm looking at it, too. But more like gold in '95.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals