Waterproof coin tubes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Waterproof coin tubes

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:40 pm

I've read somewhere that waterproof coin tubes can be a good way to keep PM. Any idea where to buy them?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Re: Waterproof coin tubes

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:42 pm

PVC Pipe + Endcaps + Pipe Sealer/Silicone

All can be bought at your local Home Depot. No, it's not what you think.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:18 pm

And what do I think? :P

Thanks for the tips... I guess those cannot be detected by metal detector, right? :P

However, more seriously, anything that is smaller? I mean: I wouldn't need a big pipe for some silver onces... (Well not now, but someday)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Beau » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:30 pm

cesariojpn wrote:PVC Pipe + Endcaps + Pipe Sealer/Silicone

if you use PVC for long tem storage, you will be sorry.

your coins will get a green slime on them :mrgreen: , and they are ruined, sell as junk silver :oops: ,

GOOD LUCK
Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:34 pm

Beau wrote:
cesariojpn wrote:PVC Pipe + Endcaps + Pipe Sealer/Silicone

if you use PVC for long tem storage, you will be sorry.

your coins will get a green slime on them :mrgreen: , and they are ruined, sell as junk silver :oops: ,

GOOD LUCK
Beau

Why is thayt?

Any other suggestion for long-terme storage... and security?

Basically I think it needs to be water-tight so you can had silicium...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:46 pm

The "C" in "PVC" is "chloride", and that attacks copper and some other metals. Normal PVC gives off so much chlorine that it will stay growth free for several years when submerged in ocean water. Real old PVC might be safe to use, but then you have to find some end caps.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:52 pm

Mossy wrote:The "C" in "PVC" is "chloride", and that attacks copper and some other metals. Normal PVC gives off so much chlorine that it will stay growth free for several years when submerged in ocean water. Real old PVC might be safe to use, but then you have to find some end caps.

Thanks for the explanation.

Any other suggestion besides chloride-PVC? ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:18 pm

What about ABS pipe? as in sewer Pipe.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby justj2k78 » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:26 pm

justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:43 pm

Looks great. Do you think silver rounds would fit in them?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:45 pm

BTW, how to avoid silver oxydation? I mean: what is the best way to keep the rounds in good condition?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:52 pm

balz wrote:BTW, how to avoid silver oxydation? I mean: what is the best way to keep the rounds in good condition?

Vacuum Sealer and some vacuum bags.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 pm

cesariojpn wrote:
balz wrote:BTW, how to avoid silver oxydation? I mean: what is the best way to keep the rounds in good condition?

I thought about that, but the problem is that it would be difficult to store them easily for long term... I'd like to put them in a small waterproof case... Is there anything else that can be done beside vacuum bags?

Also, how bad can silver oxide? I'd like rounds to remain valuable in the future, especially in a SHTF scenario...

Thanks
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:59 pm

balz wrote:Also, how bad can silver oxide? I'd like rounds to remain valuable in the future, especially in a SHTF scenario...

Thanks

It depends on how you store it, the current environment around you......alot of factors. Some coins can remain perfectly shiny and bright for hundreds of years, yet something made recently is tarnished like crazy. You just don't know what will happen.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 pm

If they get tarnished, do I still get good price on them if I sell them later?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Treetop » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:51 am

Well for what it is worth Ive been told by a pawn shop owner locally that tarnished stuff wins hands down when trading with him. apparently one group of people whom i wont name so no one thinks im singling them out over race have lots of fake silver. apparently hes never seen a tarnished fake. so especially if it is a generic rounds for instance or something less recognized he greatly prefers tarnished stuff...

I bet the same parameters could arise in a SHTF scenario.

unless you bought some numismatic stuff i personally wouldnt worry to much.
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:54 am

Treetop wrote:Well for what it is worth Ive been told by a pawn shop owner locally that tarnished stuff wins hands down when trading with him. apparently one group of people whom i wont name so no one thinks im singling them out over race have lots of fake silver. apparently hes never seen a tarnished fake. so especially if it is a generic rounds for instance or something less recognized he greatly prefers tarnished stuff...

I bet the same parameters could arise in a SHTF scenario.

unless you bought some numismatic stuff i personally wouldnt worry to much.

Thanks a lot for this advice!

Another question, as I am new to this: how do you keep your rounds or bullions safe? I don't have enough to be concerned right now but even 5 rounds may prove dangerous in a SHTF scenario... or even right now with some gangs... which I will not name them either and not talk about their race! ;)
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:29 am

Treetop wrote: apparently hes never seen a tarnished fake.

Well, now, there's a point.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby spcake89 » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:33 am

Honestly and im sorry if this bursts any bubbles out there but the "numismatic" premiums u pay on american silver eagles and bullion coin of the sort you will never get back. your silver american eagle is worth the same all banged up and blacker than night with tarnish as it it is bright and shiny on the day of minting its worth the price of silver. thats all it was worth and thats all it with be worth so spending your money on keeping it shiny unless your talking about morgans and the like is pointless. a.999 silver round is a .999 silver round is a .999 silver round it will always beworth the price of silver and nothing more.
spcake89

Postby didou » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:52 am

cesariojpn wrote:

What about vacuum sealed in bags then put in a PVC pipe ? would last a very long time at about any condition without the risk or contamination from the PVC.
An individual has rights only as long as he can defend them.
didou
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:06 pm

spcake89 wrote:Honestly and im sorry if this bursts any bubbles out there but the "numismatic" premiums u pay on american silver eagles and bullion coin of the sort you will never get back. your silver american eagle is worth the same all banged up and blacker than night with tarnish as it it is bright and shiny on the day of minting its worth the price of silver. thats all it was worth and thats all it with be worth so spending your money on keeping it shiny unless your talking about morgans and the like is pointless. a.999 silver round is a .999 silver round is a .999 silver round it will always beworth the price of silver and nothing more.

I like this kind of honest answer. Now I know I won't have to do anything special to keep those coins. You are right: I won't waste money on that. My concern was that they may oxidated like cupper, but it doesn't seem to be the case.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Beau » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:10 pm

spcake89 wrote:Honestly and im sorry if this bursts any bubbles out there but the "numismatic" premiums u pay on american silver eagles and bullion coin of the sort you will never get back. your silver american eagle is worth the same all banged up and blacker than night with tarnish as it it is bright and shiny on the day of minting its worth the price of silver. thats all it was worth and thats all it with be worth so spending your money on keeping it shiny unless your talking about morgans and the like is pointless. a.999 silver round is a .999 silver round is a .999 silver round it will always beworth the price of silver and nothing more.

spcake89,
I`am sorry to burst your bubble, but try and get the same price for the tarnished silver eagles the you get for BU silver eagles, you will never do it.
the BU coins always bring more money and that is any coin silver eagles or pennies.

GOOD LUCK
Beau

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:48 pm

ABS, through (ahem) Google:

http://askville.amazon.com/ABS-plastic- ... Id=2372485

ABS is derived from acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. Acrylonitrile is a synthetic monomer produced from propylene and ammonia; butadiene is a petroleum hydrocarbon obtained from butane; and styrene monomers, derived from coal, are commercially obtained from benzene and ethylene from coal. (more at link)

"Ammonia". Hmmm. I'd want to check on that. Ammonia is wicked stuff.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:09 pm

Before you seal the vacuum bag, put a few O2 absorbers in with the coins. Some beef jerkys have these sachets. They are granulated iron. Should be ok sealed with Ag.

Someone should test the idea of vac-sealing coins, then putting the bag in pvc. It seems like a good idea
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:33 pm

Hmmm... Some people recommand vacuum, others pvc, otherz doing nothing...

I'd like something very easy if possible. Vacuum seems complicated if you have many rounds (which is not my case yet, but I'm planning for the future, who knows) and you need to put them in a small place...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals