Arguments

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Re: Arguments

Postby Common Cents » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:51 pm

Thogey-

The part that I disagree with is your statement that the price of CU pennies will be driven by those who melt them.

Your comment, "Given that you are 100% correct and there will be zero demand for copper cents as a bullion product (I think that's what you are saying)" is exactly the opposite of what I'm saying. I think there will be robust demand for them as a bullion product. I think the lifting of the melt ban will have little effect on their price.

Did the lifting of the melt ban on 90% silver coins affect the price of silver? I'm not sure off the top of my head, but I doubt it did in any significant way.
Common Cents
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Arguments

Postby adagirl » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:56 pm

balz wrote:I'm having second-thoughts now. It takes a lot of time to sort pennies and I'm not sure what will happen. What if they don't lift the ban? What if copper prices plummet because of economic failure?... Would'nt it be easier to just buy silver?

I hear ya. I think of the copper penny sorting as my metal diversification plan. Worst case scenario is a penny is worth a penny, but as you know the copper penny is worth 2.7 cents today per coinflation. You may be able to use these copper pennies as currency during hyperinflation and/or sell them and use your profits to buy silver, gold, platinum.
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing