Best magnet to get for quick testing silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Best magnet to get for quick testing silver?

Postby Henchman » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:13 pm

Looking for a magnet to quick test silver. I been doing some research but found nothing about the best Grade, Gauss or "Pull in LBs" for testing coins or silver pieces.

I don't want to get one that is too weak OR even worse TOO STRONG :cry:

I know magnets aren't the best test, I also purchased some Nitric Acid for serious silver purchases. I just want something I can carry around for yard sales and small silver buys.

Any suggestions on a magnet purchase?

Thanks,
Henchman
Henchman
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Best magnet to get for quick testing silver?

Postby Dumpster Diver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:15 am

I use a telescopic magnetic tool made by General. It can be found in the specialty tools section at Home Depot for about $4 and works great. (Yellow and Black packaging).
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Dumpster Diver » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 am

For a minute I thought your avatar was Han Solo encased in carbon but after closer inspection I see its that penny you had for sale.
Dumpster Diver
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:19 am

If you have an old computer hard drive, take it apart and there are some rare earth magnets in there that work great. I have a bunch of them kicking around. Just be careful with them around electronics.
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals