Can you identify these coins?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Can you identify these coins?

Postby HPMBTT » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:45 pm

Ah...once again, I turn to this great forum for help...the knowledge here as a group is tremendous.

So I was visiting a friend a few weeks ago a couple hours from my house and we saw a couple of garage sale signs near his place and did some browsing. I did find a very nice foreign lot and did more than well on it. :) Anyway, there was this single plastic page of asian coins in the box too. Can you take a look and tell me what you think? I did a little research, but would prefer to hear from this group first before commenting further. The weights of each coin are listed below as well.

Front of coins: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/85 ... front.jpg/
Back of coins: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/63 ... sback.jpg/

Weights (I assumed 1.6 grams for the card/holder. The estimated numbers below are for the coin only):
row 1 (single coin): 25.7g
row 2, 3 coins. A: 25.8g B: 25.4g C: 25.7g
row 3, 2 coins (yen): A: 22.6g B: 24.6g
row 4, 3 coins: A: Kiang Nan Province 24.6g B: An-Hua Province 26g C: An-Hua Province 25.9g
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Can you identify these coins?

Postby BOHICA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:00 pm

Row 1: Chinese Dollar.
Chinese Dollar.jpg
Row 1.
Chinese Dollar.jpg (37.59 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Row 2: Unknown

Row 3: Japanese Yen.
Japanese Yen.jpg
Row 3.
Japanese Yen.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Row 4: Chinese 'Dragon Type' Dollars.
Chinese Dollar 1.jpg
Row 4.
Chinese Dollar 1.jpg (36.04 KiB) Viewed 240 times
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby BOHICA » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Chinese Dollar Row 4.
Chinese Dollar 2.jpg
Chinese Dollar 2.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 240 times
BOHICA
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Country » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Be very wary of all these Chinese dollar coins. Plenty of counterfeits using various metal content.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Thogey » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:32 pm

I've NEVER bought one of those chinese "silver" coins that wasn't a fake.

Authentic ones can be quite valuable.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm

I'll play. I can take row 3.
On the obverse it says: 大日本 (dainippon, short for dainippon teikoku, meaning the Empire of Japan). The date is 明治27年 (meiji 27 nen, meaning the 27th year of the emperor Meiji. Meiji 27 was the year 1894. Actually, now that I look again, one is Meiji 45 (1912) also.)

I have no idea what the "416" & "900" on either side of One Yen means.

On the reverse at the top is the crysanthemum flower, the official symbol of the royal family in Japan. In the center it reads 一円, or one yen, but it is actually the old character for en.

I wonder why the two coins have different weights.

I can read some of the characters on the Chinese coins, but I will leave them to other experts.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby cesariojpn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:26 pm

shinnosuke wrote:I have no idea what the "416" & "900" on either side of One Yen means.

416 Grains, .900 fine (or translated into American English, 90% silver.)

To compare, the US Trade Dollar was 420 grains, .900 fine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trade_dollar
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby schockergd » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:05 am

I've bought some amazing fakes for the chinese dollars. Maybe you'll get lucky but I have yet to talk to anyone who has said they have purchased real ones.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals