killer buy today...thank you craigslist...

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

killer buy today...thank you craigslist...

Postby zlew3885 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:02 am

been lurking on this form for a bit and thought i should start posting.

i have been buying and selling a lot of coins locally over the last few months and i have officially "caught the bug"

i advertise on craigslist that i pay 26x face. most of the time I don't get anything exciting, just junk, but this morning a guy calls me, i meet him at a starbucks and he pulls out two old albums FULL of barber halves and walking libs. scored em all at 26x. plus two albums of mercs. not a bad day!

i'll be posting more of my finds on here and would love to build up a reputation to buy/sell/trade with some of you. i own and manage a local shop and mostly deal with scrap gold and electronics, so this foray into coins is very exciting for me.

good night to all!
zlew3885

Re: killer buy today...thank you craigslist...

Postby mr18 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:57 am

Im happy you got a great deal, Craigslist and flea markets is where I find the best deal on silver coins, whether its junk or .999. But if you own a shop, which sounds like a pawn shop, why meet in starbucks? If you are paying 26x face, which is 2x higher than coin shops in my area, why not advertise for the customers to come to your shop?
Just sounds like a lot of trouble if you have a physical location for people to go to.
mr18
Penny Pincher Member

Postby schockergd » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:02 am

I've had some luck with craigslist but not a ton, locals are always my best source.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:28 pm

mr18 wrote:Im happy you got a great deal, Craigslist and flea markets is where I find the best deal on silver coins, whether its junk or .999. But if you own a shop, which sounds like a pawn shop, why meet in starbucks? If you are paying 26x face, which is 2x higher than coin shops in my area, why not advertise for the customers to come to your shop?
Just sounds like a lot of trouble if you have a physical location for people to go to.

Personal "off the grid" purchases vs. business purchases? I dunno. Just a guess on my part, but I would like to know too.

zlew, I hope you'll share more. I haven't had any luck with craigslist. (Perhaps I need to offer more than 26x in San Antonio.)
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby zlew3885 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 pm

exactly. I buy through my shop, and also on the side personally.
zlew3885

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals