Small-Apples Sorter - Intro

Forum for discussing any topic related to investing in, collecting and saving US, Canadian, UK, and other Copper Bullion Pennies for their metal content.

Small-Apples Sorter - Intro

Postby hammerrob » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:06 pm

I'm a long-time coin collector, and about 6 months ago starting 'hoarding' copper cents. Where I work there are 9 different bank branches where I can easily stop by sometime during the day and get two rolls of pennies. No one seems to care if you have an account with the bank when you are asking for just 2 rolls of pennies. I'll spend about 5 minutes each night hand sorting them ... which is about all I have time for!

I thought I was pretty big time until I came accross this website a couple weeks ago. 25k-50k pennies/wk sounds like a full time job even with a machine!

Anyway, here's what I've found so far:

1) Here in NJ I probably average about 30% copper
2) Haven't found much of anything from a numismatic perspective. I guess my best find was a 1947 Canadien in nice condition. Maybe I'd do better if I looked for errors, but I just don't have that kind of time.
3) Probably get about 1 wheatie every 150 pennies or so ... they are almost always from the 1950's. I can probably count on one hand the number of pre-1940 pennies. Canadiens are probably about the same percentage .... one every 150 pennies or so.

I imagine a scenario like this ... in the next 5 years or so copper prices push $7-8/lb. It'll probably still be illegal to melt them, but maybe I'll be able to sell reliably for $4-5/lb. Anything more than that would be gravy. In a hyper-inflation / end-of-days scenario I have doubts about whether a copper hoard will be of much value, but I don't think I'll have enough of a stash to make much of a difference anyway.

Anyway, it's interesting to read what other people are doing and finding, good luck to everyone sorting out there!

Rob
hammerrob
Penny Pincher Member

Re: Small-Apples Sorter - Intro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:28 pm

Welcome to the insanity! :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby balz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:51 pm

Welcome!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Welcome. No matter the volume you sort, at least you are wise enough to sort at all. Careful though, many a good hand sorting men have been turned to the dark side of machines, hehe....

Welcome once again and post well and often!

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Morsecode » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:18 pm

These 2 rolls a day guys are the ones that end up finding the '14d and '55 doubled dies :D

Good luck & happy hunting!
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby sparechange » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:57 pm

Welcome to the forum. It will be surprizing how quickly your hoard grows if you stick with it. Pounds or tons, the addiction will only increase along with your hoard. Happy searching and your % is better than mine and in most cases so is your wheat finds!
Always drink upstream from politicians, they tend to foul things up.
sparechange
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby NHsorter » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Early on I felt a little weird asking for too much coin at a bank, but I think that you might find that it is easier than you think. Go ahead and ask for a box. It will save you a bunch of trips to the bank. The worse they can say is no. I'll stop into any bank I am near, if I am a customer or not, and ask for 2 boxes. They usually just hand them over. Rarely do they ask if I am a customer. I have found that saying "Hi, I need 2 boxes of pennies please" (as I am slapping $50 cash on the counter) It has a much better success rate than "CAN I get 2 boxes of pennies"

Happy hoarding!!
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:57 pm

Yeah - the magic phrase in most banks that is accepted "teller speak" (which makes you seem like you know what you are doing and expect the answer to be yes) is, "I would like to place a change order for a box of pennys please".
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:15 pm

ramp it up! Im a hand sorter,so im still small apples in the whole scheme of things...when I started I used to get 10.00 face at a time...now its either one box or however many bags off the machine there willing to sell....yes,the unsorteds are pilling up...someday ill get a ryedale...I cant swing it right now...happy hunting!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby adagirl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:07 pm

Welcome! As you have probably already figured out, there are alot of great people on here. Enjoy, and when your ready ramp up your Cu collection efforts
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby hammerrob » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:58 pm

Thanks for the welcome from everyone!

I'd have no problem asking for a box of pennies, but between work/kids/wife/house it would take me a long time to sort it ... I'd probably put it off because it would look like too much work. If a grab $1 worth of pennies every day the task is always fresh and very doable. I put more energy into buying foreign silver coins on Ebay below bullion prices... surprising number of opportunities out there, and there's fewer barriers to unlocking value than copper.

Anway, forgot to mention in my original post my two oddball finds .. a Eurocent and Panamanian cent.

Thanks, Rob
hammerrob
Penny Pincher Member

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:50 am

Hammertime! Glad you joined. Keep sharing your success stories with us.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby John_doe » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:58 am

Welcome to the board!

I hand sorted for 2 years. No shame there. Great hobby, but you'll eventually get hooked. :D
Ancora Imparo

"You can't control the wind, but you can adjust your sails."

-Albert Einstein
John_doe
Post Hoarder

Return to Copper Penny Bullion Investing