Copper, The Copper Cave, Etc.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Copper, The Copper Cave, Etc.

Postby natsb88 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:32 pm

I recently received a message with some good questions about copper in general, and my particular business. Since I took the time to write a thorough response, and I get these questions a lot, I thought it would be worth posting here.

----
I was told that you and your individiuals over on coppercave.com were the ones to speak with, regarding reasonable copper prices.

Glad to hear it :)

----

A perusal of that site reveals things:

Item: 1/4 oz rounds at 1000% of spot
Item: 1 oz rounds at 900% of spot
Item: 1/2 lb bars at 247.5% of spot
Item: 1 lb bars at 220% of spot
Item: No 2 ounce of either round or bar
Item: No 1/2 ounce round

For the sake of comparison, $1 over spot on a 1 oz silver round would be 2.5% over. $1 over spot on a 1 oz copper round would be 365% over. Obviously the PERCENTAGE over spot will always be higher for copper, so long as the price of copper is lower than silver, but that does NOT mean it is any cheaper to make a copper round than it is to make a silver round. In fact, it is typically MORE EXPENSIVE to make anything out of copper, because it is much more difficult to work with than silver.

I'll start with this explanation, which I have sent to quite a few in response to allegations of over-pricing. This was geared toward customers with unknown background info, so it probably breaks it down a little further than necessary for you, already having experience with metals, but it's a good place to start.

The spot prices are for paper contracts (large contracts, copper for instance is done in 25,000 pound contracts). Many traders just buy and sell the paper contracts, speculating on the price and hoping to make some money trading. If you buy a contract at the spot price and actually want to take delivery of the physical metal, you have to pay additional delivery fees to get the metal out of a contracted warehouse, and then you have 25,000 pounds of large industrial cathodes or rough ingots you have to pay to transport.

Turning those bulk forms of metal into manageable units requires breaking them down into a smaller form, usually by melting and re-pouring. Melting and pouring copper requires a lot of care because it oxidizes very easily when molten, and will trap oxygen if not handled properly.

This is the point where most of the bullion makers step in and purchase these smaller units of metal, so they are already paying well over spot to the companies that break them down into manageable sizes. Then the bullion maker has to have the skill and equipment to turn the raw metal into a recognizable form. Depending on the product, this might include furnaces, molds, rolling mills, coining presses, dies and stamps, etc. The bullion maker then marks up the price to cover the raw material, their labor, energy, equipment, and a profit margin, and sells the finished products in bulk quantities to dealers like myself.

I get the bulk quantities of products and individually package them in sealed bags or holders, photograph them, advertise them, help customers with questions, and process and ship orders. Of course I have the cost of the product itself, plus maintaining the website, fees from credit card companies, the packaging and shipping materials, postage, etc., and then I have to make something on it or I wouldn't be in business.

Once you go through all that, you arrive at the prices you see on the website. With gold and silver, the price over spot is less noticeable because you're dealing with a higher value metal, so the "mark-up" is a smaller percentage of the total product price. If we look at the actual dollar value per troy ounce over the spot price, you'll find that it's not dramatically different for copper than it is for silver or gold. For instance, the 1 kilogram copper bars I have now sell for $20.95 each. With copper spot at $4.10 per pound, that works out to just $0.37 per troy ounce over spot. That would be considered a great price on silver or gold.

Some people think that if they can buy an ounce of silver for $1 over spot, they should be able to buy a pound of copper for $1 over spot, but the math just doesn't work out because they are expecting somebody to buy, process, and ship almost 15 times as much metal for the same $1. To compare "premiums" over spot properly, you have to compare the cost per unit weight, using the same unit weight.

----
Copper, however, is not liquid enough to tolerate the strains of overpricing. Its value as an industrial metal prevent that, at this time.

You've already done the research and found that copper sells consistently at these levels. That means it's not "over-priced," it's MARKET-PRICED.

Copper is in the same periodic group as gold and silver, but it's traded as an industrial metal. It has been used in coins for thousands of years, but it is also used in pipes and wire. This debate can go back and forth all day, and frankly I'm not all that interested in pinning down a label for copper. It is what it is, which is a useful and recognized element with REAL value.

If you really want to look at over-priced, figure out how to get access to Wal-Mart's purchasing records, or any retailer for that matter, and compare their cost to the price on the shelf. 50%, 100%, 200%, 500%, 1000% mark-ups are the NORM, but the market supports it, and I don't see many people walking up to the customer service desk to point out the current trading price of pulpwood and lecture the manager on how "over-priced" the toilet paper is.

----

Item: over a third of your half pound and larger items out of stock.

That's simply a testament to supply and demand. Right now, demand is far exceeding my supply. It typically goes like this: I order a couple hundred pounds of copper bars and front the money. It takes 2-3 weeks for the mint to make the bars and ship them to me. I package them, make them available on the website, and in the meantime place my next order with my supplier. Within a week about 70% of the bars are sold, and I still have 1-2 weeks to wait before my next shipment arrives. If cash flow wasn't an issue, I would be ordering much more often, but the mint requires payment up front and then starts production, and unlike other dealers I don't sell items until I have them in hand and ready to ship, so alas I can only keep so much product flowing.

----

These are practices unpalatable to someone on a budget, and IMO deleterious to the copper trade, bullion and otherwise, as a whole.

Stackers really have to get over the whole "premium over spot" thing in general, not just with copper. The spot price is a PAPER price for a HUGE future contract, which the vast majority of people on this forum and many others consistently say is manipulated. Physical bullion, on the other hand, is HERE and NOW, subject to the FREE MARKET. There is no requirement, law, agreement, trade organization, etc. that dictates physical bullion prices must be tied to paper spot prices, and God knows it wouldn't be followed if there was one.

When people buy, they want to buy at spot because "that's the price of silver." When people sell, they want more, because "the paper price is manipulated and physical is worth more." Human nature, I suppose, but you can't have it both ways. Sure, paper prices can be used as an indicator of current supply and demand, but they're a guide, nothing more. Physical bullion is worth whatever the buyer and seller agree upon, no COMEX required.

-----

I cannot see the Cave's advantages in pricing save that they are slightly under the markup of some of the copper gangs in Ebay.
CopperCave and the ebay gangs and a number of others listed in the net appear to be simply naught more than middlemen for true mints and foundries. This is not a problem in itself, it de-bottlenecks the flow of product from producer to consumer and allows the producer to run cheaper from not needing its own sales division save to the middlemen.

The VAST majority of those eBay sellers and "other dealers" buy from one or two mints. I buy regularly from over a dozen suppliers, occasionally from a dozen more, and I buy from dozens of individuals here and on other metals forums.

True, at this time I am primarily a "middleman," but I also have a lot in the works on the production side of things. I have two furnaces, a rolling mill, a sequential (serial) numbering stamp, I am making molds and lettering/logo stamps, I am restoring an old coining press and have access to others, I will be making my own coining dies, I have packaging equipment, scales, coin-processing equipment, secure storage, access to a forklift...the list goes on. I am 22, I just graduated from a top engineering school (with the accumulated loans to prove it), I have been at this business for over three years and in business for seven, and I would NOT be putting my money and livelihood at risk if I did not believe 100% that there is a market to support what I am doing.

Some people like hunting and pecking on eBay, or getting one style from one dealer, but others prefer to get a variety of items in one spot, for one payment, with one shipping charge. I also ship internationally, which many others do not. I sell at least as much silver to overseas customers as I do domestically. Again, it's a free market. If I didn't appeal to a customer base, I wouldn't be in business.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Copper, The Copper Cave, Etc.

Postby scrapman1077 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:02 pm

GREAT post. I hope it helps a lot of folks understand a little better.
scrapman1077
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Awesome post. I have enjoyed doing business in the Copper Cave.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby aloneibreak » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:40 pm

great reply

thanks for posting for all of us to see

this type of copper bullion isnt for everyone, sure, but everyone ought to have at least a few shiny rounds or bars !
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby adagirl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:48 pm

very nicely done!
adagirl
Penny Collector Member

Postby AGgressive Metal » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 am

Well, that's fairly complete. I don't really stray from coins often, but the half-pound bars have been tempting me!
And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel
For nothyng is better than lyberte
For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world
-Aesop's Fables, Caxton edition 1484

http://stores.ebay.com/commonwealthcurrency
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pdx_metal
AGgressive Metal
Realcent Moderator

Postby needler420 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:38 am

Buying copper bullion is a complete waste of money designed to take out the already weakest people.

In just about 3-4 satellite tv cables I can extract a pound of copper.. And at about 20 minutes a wire. Now that was what I did just yesterday when someone dumped some wires in the woods near me.

Which is why I say its a waste of time. You're going to pay 300% to basically turn it from a raw form to eye candy bullion.

In 2 hours of time I can cut and extract enough copper to equal a pound for free or you can pay $20 to have it in coins or $10 for a 1pound bar.

Anyone who is buying copper bullion needs to realize the premium they're paying on it and realize copper would need to double in price just to break even. They then need to realize how much Cu is associated with us in our everyday lives.

Don't get me wrong though I think copper is a great investment after all it is money. I just don't think a way to invest in it is with bullion dealers.

Id rather collect its raw form that I can walk into almost any scrapyard and get 90% of spot price on it vs paying 90% over spot price to be able to hold it in bullion instead of raw form.

Copper is the middleman's game. Just the guys on the bottom of the totem pole still trying to make a cut.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby fasteddy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:13 am

Nate , great post...I understand the labor and tooling involved to make rounds/bars and such...once you actually understand the reason for the premium required, purchasing the 1 oz rounds should reduce the premium pain...I really like the large wheat penny rounds and the '09 Lincoln 4 coins set...but everytime I looked at the Cave you were out now I understand that, a little more patience on my part...I applaud your struggle to make it on your own. Keep it up...with your youth at tenacity you will get there.

@ needler420...thanks for the
needler420 wrote:3-4 satellite tv cables
I have two 180' cables buried in my backyard from previous installations....I may just pull those up...strip and sell and buy some more Cu rounds....from Nate...

So-wheat.
fasteddy
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:12 am

needler420 wrote:Buying copper bullion is a complete waste of money designed to take out the already weakest people.

"Designed?" By who? For what purpose? What would "they" gain by taking out the "weakest people," and how does making and selling copper bullion "take them out" anyway?

needler420 wrote:In just about 3-4 satellite tv cables I can extract a pound of copper.. And at about 20 minutes a wire. Now that was what I did just yesterday when someone dumped some wires in the woods near me.

Which is why I say its a waste of time. You're going to pay 300% to basically turn it from a raw form to eye candy bullion.

In 2 hours of time I can cut and extract enough copper to equal a pound for free or you can pay $20 to have it in coins or $10 for a 1pound bar.

Two hours of labor to get one pound of copper. A pound of clean wire is worth about $3.25 at the scrap yard, which means you're working for $1.63/hour. I could get a job at a warehouse or the gas station for $9/hr, or a job fixing computers for $15/hr, BUY a pound of copper, and still have money leftover.

needler420 wrote:Anyone who is buying copper bullion needs to realize the premium they're paying on it and realize copper would need to double in price just to break even. They then need to realize how much Cu is associated with us in our everyday lives.

Well, you can turn around and resell it on eBay for the same price you just paid today, minus fees. So really, copper only needs to increase enough to cover your eBay fees before you can break even. Unless you're planning to take bullion bars to the scrap yard along with your satellite wire, which is just silly. You wouldn't send nice shiny ASEs into a refiner...

needler420 wrote:Don't get me wrong though I think copper is a great investment after all it is money. I just don't think a way to invest in it is with bullion dealers.

Nothing wrong with that, sorting copper pennies is a great option. (Stripping satellite wire for $1.63/hour is not a great option, in my opinion, but to each his own).

needler420 wrote:Id rather collect its raw form that I can walk into almost any scrapyard and get 90% of spot price on it vs paying 90% over spot price to be able to hold it in bullion instead of raw form.

Do you actually have a scrap yard that will pay you 90% of spot for two pounds of copper? In my experience, you're more likely to get 75% - 85%, with quantity. Either way, at $1.63/hour, I'll pass.

needler420 wrote:Copper is the middleman's game. Just the guys on the bottom of the totem pole still trying to make a cut.

So the "middleman" is at the "bottom" of the totem poll? I'm confused... :roll:
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby needler420 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:25 pm

natsb88 wrote:
needler420 wrote:Buying copper bullion is a complete waste of money designed to take out the already weakest people.

"Designed?" By who? For what purpose? What would "they" gain by taking out the "weakest people," and how does making and selling copper bullion "take them out" anyway?

needler420 wrote:In just about 3-4 satellite tv cables I can extract a pound of copper.. And at about 20 minutes a wire. Now that was what I did just yesterday when someone dumped some wires in the woods near me.

Two hours of labor to get one pound of copper. A pound of clean wire is worth about $3.25 at the scrap yard, which means you're working for $1.63/hour. I could get a job at a warehouse or the gas station for $9/hr, or a job fixing computers for $15/hr, BUY a pound of copper, and still have money leftover.

needler420 wrote:Anyone who is buying copper bullion needs to realize the premium they're paying on it and realize copper would need to double in price just to break even. They then need to realize how much Cu is associated with us in our everyday lives.

Well, you can turn around and resell it on eBay for the same price you just paid today, minus fees. So really, copper only needs to increase enough to cover your eBay fees before you can break even. Unless you're planning to take bullion bars to the scrap yard along with your satellite wire, which is just silly. You wouldn't send nice shiny ASEs into a refiner...

needler420 wrote:Don't get me wrong though I think copper is a great investment after all it is money. I just don't think a way to invest in it is with bullion dealers.

Nothing wrong with that, sorting copper pennies is a great option. (Stripping satellite wire for $1.63/hour is not a great option, in my opinion, but to each his own).

needler420 wrote:Id rather collect its raw form that I can walk into almost any scrapyard and get 90% of spot price on it vs paying 90% over spot price to be able to hold it in bullion instead of raw form.

Do you actually have a scrap yard that will pay you 90% of spot for two pounds of copper? In my experience, you're more likely to get 75% - 85%, with quantity. Either way, at $1.63/hour, I'll pass.

needler420 wrote:Copper is the middleman's game. Just the guys on the bottom of the totem pole still trying to make a cut.

So the "middleman" is at the "bottom" of the totem poll? I'm confused... :roll:

I actually got a little over a pound and it was a little less then 2 hours of work. And yeah common sense I wouldn't make a job of stripping satellite wire. However I would do that over paying 300% over spot price just to go from a raw form to a pretty to look at form. Hell I'm a noob with nothing but a box cutter. If I actually wanted to get some copper I could probably just go to the dumps and scrap yards and get some for free not everyone cashes in their copper.

My main example is how abundant the metal is and how easily it is to obtain some. I can go outside with my metal detector any given day and pull up a few ounces of copper every time. Just because I won't make minimum wage an hour doesn't mean its not worth it as its a hobby not a job.

Like I said copper is still money and in my opinion its very worth holding/hoarding just not in bullion form. It costs the mint too much to produce the bullion for the consumer to call it anything but a novelty. Surely not a investment. Hell just watch some youtube video about copper bullion there are only like 5 videos on it but in the comments you hear all repeats of what I'm saying.

Also the 1 pound of copper I did extract I wouldn't compare my time to its value. I didn't sit there stripping it to make money. The reason I did it was the next time on a precious metal forum I seen someone buy copper bullion id show mine and the price I paid for it.

So far everyone Iv heard who bought some regretted it afterward when they saw I got as much copper in the 20 coin tube as I did. Mine was free and only obtained with some time.

Also I sat on my butt watching TV while stripping the wire.

Hoarding pennies is good preparation as well but for the mean time in till they lift the melt ban its pretty much just something to stare at. I know you can try selling it for above face value but I find it easier to just deal with scrap copper. I can sell it the same day I obtain it.

This 100 grams here took about 1 hour 45 minutes to extract from cable.

Now I know that's a long time but half of it is due to being noob with wire strippers and a box cutter. I can now extract 100 grams in about 45 mins. Which still isn't great but its better then over paying just to have it in bullion form.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Whinstone » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:07 am

I think you are missing the point , my friend. You wouldn't sell copper bullion as scrap. I have bought copper bullion coins from coppercave and resold them at flea markets for twice the money. Someday they may even be of great value. If the coins are use for bartering, they would be much more valuable than a wad of copper wire. People like coins and bars. I like scraping copper too. That's how I buy my bullion. I wish I was a rich man ....Coppercave would be out stock all the time
Don't trouble trouble until trouble troubles you. You will only double trouble and trouble others too.........anonymous
Whinstone
Penny Pincher Member

Postby cupronickel » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:14 pm

What a great explanation !!!!
cupronickel
Penny Pincher Member

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:16 am

I am also guilty of buying copper rounds and bars from Nate and then reselling them for a profit at coin shows and coin clubs. I can't keep those 09 copper penny rounds in stock either. Does this make me a middle man or a slightly above middle man? :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby Copper Member » Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:14 am

I still feel the best way to hoard copper is in penny form. All you have into it is your time. Just my thought.
check me out on facebook Lake's Coin's and Militaria
Copper Member
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby rickygee » Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:01 pm

You want to give a gift that's cheap but valuable at the same time? Give a one pound copper bar. Family members that said I was nuts for sorting pennies got pound bars at Christmas. Funny how they kept picking them up throughout the evening to heft them, feel the weight or look at the embossed inscription on the bullion. So it makes a good paperweight. They'll keep it and think of you, so what if they think you're crazy as a loon! :lol:
rickygee
Penny Collector Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals