Commemorative Silver Boxes

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Commemorative Silver Boxes

Postby amalekidad » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm

Hey RealCenters, I DON’T have a bunch of commemorative silver. ;) If I did, I would be running out of room for copper. :o The fact is that most of the commemorative silver comes in boxes that take up 3 - 5 times the space of the actual coin. If you had some of these boxed coins would you throw out the extra boxes :?:

If I actually had some of these coins, a follow up question would be; :? do you take the coins out of the mint plastic and put them in rolls, plastic tubes, or other holders :?:
amalekidad
Penny Collector Member

Re: Commemorative Silver Boxes

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Well, if I had a bunch of those (which I don't ;) ) I would save a few of the best or most interesting, for either myself or possible later numi interest, and re-package up the rest as coins. But that's just me.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Know Common Cents » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:00 am

There are some purists who absolutely demand the commem boxes and all mint-issued inserts, etc. For coins of a value more than a couple hundred FRNs, I might be inclined to do so. All others, they're liberated from the bulky packaging.

I was fortunate in 2005 to fall into a deal involving silver commem dollars. They now live in tubes and I have no regrets. They were sold to me as bullion and that's the way they remain. Look at APMEX's offerings. They have lots of commems for sale (in scruffy or pristine condition), but none are in the boxes. Most coin dealers say they'll buy and sell them, but again it's only on a bullion basis. Realistically, I don't have room for all the extra cardboard. Twenty Statue of Liberty silver dollars are much more portable than 20 boxes of one each.

Most of the commem silver dollars are listed in the Grey Sheet at a price comparable to VG 1921 Morgan dollar. Their prices rise and fall based on the POS and nothing else.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Penniesarefun » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:10 am

I keep all the proofs in their mint-issued packaging. I think it always helps at re-sale time if there is any numi premium at all. For commemorative silver, though, probably not.
Penniesarefun

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals