The dollars a joke. Time to measure PM vs. something else.

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: The dollars a joke. Time to measure PM vs. something el

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:17 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
shinnosuke wrote:Japanese sticky rice is the best.
I want to store a few koku, but Mrs. shinnosuke says taste and nutrition will be sacrificed...so I don't have permission, yet. May do something anyway and ask for forgiveness later.

You and me is on the SAME PAGE!!! what you think i got stashed in the root cellar, food grade buckets? F#####g granola?!? (excuse my backslidden ways) short grain sticky rice...and i ALWAYS had the SAME problem with my sons mother!!! "white rice has no nutrition"....so she serves up that hippy brown rice, with steamed broccoli...swell, oh yummy.

Shinn, you know when the Tsunami hit, Fukushima, etc.....in three days, i was at the Korean grocery store, and bought six LARGE tins of Kadoya Sesame Oil, becoz i dont know when, if ever you'd see them again, and if you did, who'd want 'em? bot 2/3 rds a koku of short grain rice, and packages and packages of sheets of nori, (thats the seaweed sheets around sushi, gaijin) all sorts of 'made in Japan' food stuffs, because we can never consume anything...ever again..thats says 'made in Japan'...never. think about it. no more unagi, no more gomaee. sad really.....stash what you WANT to stash, you're the man, think Japanese. neil

Smart thinking on the purchases, neil. But I'm not willing to throw in the towel yet on all of Japan. Prevailing winds and all that rot, you know. Unless you've seen hard evidence to the contrary, Osaka and westward is still OK.

Sorry for sidetracking this thread...
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Thogey » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:27 pm

Japan will be fine.

They recovered from Hirohito and ,one of my heros Curtis Lemay.

Godzilla nor a stinkin tsunami will stop them.

All the rice we eat here is calrose, short fat and sticky
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby OneBiteAtATime » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:42 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:this is not something i worry about, but you are on the right track. I try to train myself to think of other things in ounces or grams of Pms, and the pms themselves i stop watching the prices in dollars and just watch the GSR.

holding gold or silver is really dis-investment. you are out of stocks and into money. we are just conditioned to think of fiat dollars as money, and gold as somthing else, so thinking of gold as money or cash and not an investment is not natural.

Some of this is what I was needing to hear... I could feel the folds of my mind tearing just a little bit. Recondition myself to see gold and silver as money and fiat as "republic credits" or some other trade unit that is good for now, but not really real.

But if gold and silver are money..... :shock: Damn I'm broke!
"pray like everything depends on God and prepare like everything depends on you." -shinnosuke
"It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men."- Sam Adams
"Thanks to God that he gave me stubborness when I know I am right." - John Adams
OneBiteAtATime
Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:31 am

OneBiteAtATime wrote:Some of this is what I was needing to hear... I could feel the folds of my mind tearing just a little bit. Recondition myself to see gold and silver as money and fiat as "republic credits" or some other trade unit that is good for now, but not really real.

But if gold and silver are money..... :shock: Damn I'm broke!

If Plan A ain't working, go to Plan B. Sell whatever isn't nailed down, work overtime, deliver pizzas on the weekend, rob liquor stores :) . Do whatever it takes to buy some silver at least.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby TwoPenniesEarned » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:33 pm

Silverflake nailed it. Gold and silver are the traditional measure. One good golden rule is that over time, an ounce of gold has purchased a very well tailored suit. If you go into a given tailor and ask for a well cut Boss or Armani they cost upwards of $2K today, so gold is still a bit undervalued relative to fiat with respect to suits...
TwoPenniesEarned
Penny Collector Member

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals