Guy ordering 10k halves a week at BofA gives up

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Guy ordering 10k halves a week at BofA gives up

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:23 am

I went to one of my pick up banks for halves on Saturday and the lead teller told me that a guy was ordering 5k in halves twice a week from his branch; he said that he has been skunked the last month and had him stop ordering his halves.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Guy ordering 10k halves a week at BofA gives up

Postby db23 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:42 pm

Someone ordering that much likely just switched pickup banks. I doubt they just gave up completely...
db23
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:17 pm

Well maybe...but there are members on here that have cut off their orders.

Hoping I can get the good boxes now :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby BlackOut » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:03 pm

I went thru 12 boxes last week and 11 were skunks. Seems to be very dry in my area. After runs like this, I don't blame him for hanging it up. If you aren't scoring, it is not worth the effort of the pickup and dumping involved. Sad reality is, this will be the case for most in the not so distant future.
BlackOut
Penny Collector Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:28 am

I was going to give up a month or so ago. I didn't. This week, in two boxes, I scored one 1964, 2-40%and a distressed proof. I made $25 give or take. I'll take it. $2.5% on my money weekly isn't too bad.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby rainsonme » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:35 pm

Some one left $10k of halfs at a BoA in Portland. The teller offered them to me, but I declined. I have mostly dropped halfs, and dont take any from BoA any more.
rainsonme
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby JobIII » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:20 pm

Some people here have a lot of success hunting through brinks boxes. I have only searched a few of them, and had very little luck. I'm also working on an awesome skunk run of 25 nfstring boxes right now...
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:00 pm

rainsonme wrote:Some one left $10k of halfs at a BoA in Portland. The teller offered them to me, but I declined. I have mostly dropped halfs, and dont take any from BoA any more.

I stopped halves when BofA started getting their coin from the Fed. Had several short rolls, and when you aren't finding ANYTHING it makes no sense to continue at a guaranteed loss.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm

Roll searching for silver halves has become a futile exercise. It was great in the 80's and 90's, fun in 00's, but it's slim pickins in this decade. I gave up on it a long time ago. Just not worth the time and hassle.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby JobIII » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm

JobIII wrote:Some people here have a lot of success hunting through brinks boxes. I have only searched a few of them, and had very little luck. I'm also working on an awesome skunk run of 25 nfstring boxes right now...

Make that 35 nf string boxes :roll:
Follow my blog here: http://xxjobiiixx.blogspot.com
Check here and please remember to follow us also: http://coinwholesales.blogspot.com
Watch my youtube videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/xxJOBIIIxx
JobIII
Post Hoarder

Postby knibloe » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:23 pm

The other local guy from my area gave up last week. He only did it for about 2 months.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm

I wish i had the capital to get that kind of volume.I do 1 to 2 boxes from brinks a week...I get skunks,and occasionally good boxes...like out of the last four:3 skunks and one with 4 90%s and 14 40%s! that will keep me going...I dont understand how you guys that do 2 or 4k a week dump that many halves too-I always split my box into two dumps,as well as spend off as much as I can in halves in small transactions...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals