"She and her husband used the money to stay an extra week"

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

"She and her husband used the money to stay an extra week"

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:47 am

"She and her husband used the money to stay an extra week at the beach."

i had to post this article, because this is the kind of stuff out there, in the media, and within the collective mindset, that just drives me crazy. i may not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but WHY have so many of my fellow American's drunk the kool-aid, and stay blissfully unaware, ignorant, spoiled and indulgent?...and then when TSHTF, we'll see all sorts of dire misery, and weird behavior, even weirder than now, we'll hear screaming and whining about how the "govt has to DO SOMETHING!!", when its the very people themselves, thru their naive behavior and worldview have put themselves in such a situation? Put simply, if you smell smoke, its safe to assume there's a fire nearby, take action! here's the link: (and please tell me if i'm just hyperventilating)
"Some rush to cash in on gold, others snatch up gold and silver coins"
http://www2.timesdispatch.com/business/ ... r-1298216/

let me just highlight some 'gems' from this sad piece of journalism:

"Jan Carlan gathered pieces of old jewelry, took them to Cole's Coins and Collectibles in Chester and cashed them in for $800.
"You don't want to act too surprised, but I thought, 'Holy cow, you're going to give me that much for them?' " said Carlan, a Charles City County resident."It was just stuff in the jewelry box — a couple of chintzy gold chains, a bent bangle bracelet, a ring I didn't wear anymore, a silver charm bracelet."
She and her husband used the money to stay an extra week at the beach".

here's some wisdom from a real sneaker genius: "You have to be very careful about investing in gold," said James A. Cox III, managing partner at Harris Financial Group in Colonial Heights...."What I don't like about gold is it (the price) can rip around quickly."

yeh bud, it'll do that.....

"Cox recommends that investors put no more than 5 to 7 percent of their portfolios into gold. "Over-allocating to it is a bad idea. It could be disastrous to one's financial future. … The thing that worries me the most about gold is, people are buying it because they think it will go up."

oh man, thats what worries Jimmy the Third?, people buying coz they think it will "go up"? i got a good mind to get this blind sheperd on the phone, and tell him the only "disastrous" thing for folks would be to listen to him!

here's a sad lil tale: this woman's daddy was wise enough to sock some Ag away, he passes, and his unknowing daughter, "Margaret King of Chesterfield County unloaded dimes from her late father's country store with a face value of $92.30. They fetched $2,307.50 — or $25 for each $1 in face value of dimes. The coins, all dated before 1964, were made mostly of silver.

They had sat for 24 years in a box in her closet. She also traded in a handful of silver dollars that were worth $26 each. Half the money will go to her sister, since the coins were inherited. The rest will go into a vacation fund, she said."

"vacation fund"?!? wtf? that poor old man, and his unknowing daughter gets fleeced at 25X's, and she's ready to pour the FRN's into Pleasant Holidays pocket to go sip umbrella drinks at some Mexican all in vacation hellhole?!? tell ya what...my son is one of three people, who know my stack, details, amounts, etc...his mother and my wingman included. He has been schooled, talked to, taught, the value of hard money versus fiat, and told that hard money is to be used to BUY "means of production" in God knows what type of enviroment he will inherit, he also knows my ranch is his, and every asset i own, once i slip this mortal coil. But i'm telling him TODAY, if he gets stupid once i'm gone, i'm gonnna ask Jesus to miracle me back down there, so as i can give him a royal azz kicking for being a dunceski......course Jesus might say "no" to me, but i'll deal with that later.

i'll quit ranting, but here's the cherry atop the cake, a bit of wisdom from another genius of a jewelry store owner: "Gold is a haven as the dollar weakens, Cowardin said. "The price will keep going up until these politicians turn things around with jobs and housing and instill confidence in the markets."

Yeh! thats the recipe, that'll save us! when "these politicians turn things around with jobs and housing and instill confidence in the markets."

enough.....we are definitely going a LOT HIGHER, neil
Last edited by neilgin1 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: "She and her husband used the money to stay an extra wee

Postby ardorlan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 am

I'll take my turn to rant.

Most people float through life, the current they travel through maybe natural or manufactured, they do not care. Floating is easy everyone is doing it.

They don't haggle when buying a car, They don't haggle when buying a house.
One friend told me "The car dealership lost money selling me the car" all I heard one "The Car sales man beguiled you to the extend you would believe anything"

We have access to information at our finger tips (such as gold spot), however if their friends don't send them a link they will never find it, as they are never seeking, or charting a course just floating along like sheep with no Shepard. I believe most people are not even aware of themselves, let alone the world around them. They are always like water taking the path of least resistance and least thought. Their is at least 20% of the population NOT like this.

25% of people smoke (And they should have the right to do so)
33% of people are obesit (and they should have the right to do so)
50% of people or MORE, live paycheck to paycheck. (This is my guess) and like wise they should have the right to do so.

Those of you who smoke are over weight or living paycheck to paycheck know that you would be better off if you didn't do these things. We all have our faults the question is what are we doing about them, are we making a better life for our children then the ones our parents gave us, but as we build a better world we should not take away rights.

And if you want to smoke or eat 3 cheese burgers, damn it you make the choice not the media.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:36 am

The way I see it.
A) Smart people see most people as stupid
B) Stupid people see most people as smart.

Given those two choices I know which one I would rather be.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:05 am

Funny ardorlan, most people are stupid or just too lazy to inform themselves to make choices that are in their best interest. Many are too worried who is going to win the next American Idol or whatever bull**it show is on the boob tube.

Smoking is a prefect example. Every bit of evidence out there that shows how harmful smoking is, but those who smoke still choose to do something that is detrimental to their body. I have had a few friends that smoke and I always tell them I am not looking forward to the day that I get to go see them lowered 6 feet in the ground. But they still smoke.

That is why I believe that lead is really the most precious metal. When society collapses and the government is no longer there to coddle and hold their hand they are going to be coming after those who were ready. Buy as much as you can because you are going to have to protect what is yours.
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:08 am

AGCoinHunter wrote:That is why I believe that lead is really the most precious metal. When society collapses and the government is no longer there to coddle and hold their hand they are going to be coming after those who were ready. Buy as much as you can because you are going to have to protect what is yours.

Why is lead really the most precious metal, I personally don't have any lead bars today. Ah I think your talking about bullets.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby AGCoinHunter » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:17 am

ardorlan wrote:
AGCoinHunter wrote:That is why I believe that lead is really the most precious metal. When society collapses and the government is no longer there to coddle and hold their hand they are going to be coming after those who were ready. Buy as much as you can because you are going to have to protect what is yours.

Why is lead really the most precious metal, I personally don't have any lead bars today. Ah I think your talking about bullets.

;)
“Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests.”
- Patrick Henry
AGCoinHunter
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Know Common Cents » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Taking any bets that the Beach People have credit card debt up the wazoo? Likely they feel they're entitled to an extended R&R time just because they can. "The credit card companies make too much money off of us, anyway. We really pulled one on them. Ha. Ha."

They must be pretty proud their story made the newspaper. Instant stardom in their community. Just like that. Others, reading of their good fortune, must be jealous, they surmise. They smile at each other and jointly agree that "life is good."

Stupidity is rampant. I frequently drive past a Starbucks in the early AM. I'm baffled that there are so many people waiting at the drive-through for the opportunity to spend $5 or so on some coffee concoction. Trendy clothes are a must for 5 year olds. People are upset when their hair stylist isn't available at a certain day/time so they can spend $50-75 for a haircut. The more I think about this, I realize the examples of stupidity are abundant.

I really think there are times when my wife wishes she's deaf so as not to have to listen to my rants on this topic. She agrees with me (of her own accord), but isn't nearly as vocal as I am. I choose my words carefully in public or at social gatherings. It doesn't bother me if someone thinks I'm one of those fringe people. I get a little more concerned, though, about making my opinions broadly known for fear of getting shanked by one of the Midwest flash mobs now roaming the streets.

I just don't have much hope for a dawning of greater awareness that'll enlighten a large chunk of the population. Logic, creative thinking, common sense and one's ability to drive an outcome based upon possible cause and effect are flickering. It's so sad.
"I don't know what I'm doin' but I'm sure havin' fun" Herman Munster

I've recently adopted the Groucho Marx philosophy for dealing with politics and other life challenges, "Whatever it is, I'm against it!" (Horse Feathers 1932)
Know Common Cents
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby HPMBTT » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:18 pm

I completely agree with your thoughts, Neil. Especially the line about how they cashed in and did an extra week's vacation. I read this article a couple days ago and it disgusted me. Very sad, indeed.
HPMBTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:51 pm

HPMBTT wrote:I completely agree with your thoughts, Neil. Especially the line about how they cashed in and did an extra week's vacation. I read this article a couple days ago and it disgusted me. Very sad, indeed.

i guess in the final analysis, freedom is messy. Freedom is 300 million different opinions coming together, 300 million citizens. i believe 'group think' is a dead end, fascism is group think, communism is group think. On this website, we all kind of have the same world view, but it isnt group think, we may all think "PM/BM good, FRN bad"...and thats good, but we are a slender minority.

Freedom says its okay for this woman to squander a deceased father's silver hoard on a vacation, for some talking haircut of a financial 'advisor' to sound foolish, or give poor advice. Right now, i would love to take my dear son off to our favorite all inclusive resort in Montego Bay Jamaica. Its a great place and a REAL value. He's going to be 16 in a few weeks, and we have the best times, he's my favorite guy, we can sit for hours, just talking, or watch our favorite movies, or go tune up our shot, the boy was nailing targets with a scoped-up heavy barrel .300 Magnum sniper rifle at 11, and NOT acting like a twiggy tweaking kid, but he told me, 'we have more important things to do with that money'....a 15 year old young man says this. Off topic a second more?...please, Its was THIS boy, that got me stacking big time.....yessir, from the mouth of babes. In Feb 2008, his mother calls me to tell me a story. Seems he was insistent that she begin to "buy gold and silver immediately, because the stock market is going to go down and so will the dollar"..end quote. She asked him, "you been talking to your father?" She was laughing. Now at this time, i didnt own ONE OUNCE of silver. i took that to be a Call, a Message...ie....."from the mouths of babes"...and from Feb of 08, i reversed my non PM holding ways dramatically, slashed and burned, set strict parameters, rules of engagement, every purchase is a ROLL, written, BY HAND, price paid, date recieved, in a journal. Got very narrow in what i bought, ie, only US coins, 90's and 40's as well as ASES, along with bricks of nicks, as well as pre-82 copper's. Thats it, I formation running game, straight up the middle. That isnt all i stacked...other things as well, got out of the city to a township were the population density is 6.9 per square mile...all because a 12 year old boy spoke what was on his heart...thats freedom too. fondly, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Delawhere Jack » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:57 pm

ardorlan wrote:I believe most people are not even aware of themselves, let alone the world around them.

ROTFLMAO!!

That is SO TRUE! And it's getting worse. How often do you see people walk across an intersection without looking? Especially if they're too busy texting. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these lost souls walk right into traffic, texting or talking on cell phones. They are SO LOST in the superficial "reality" that has been programmed into them that they have ZERO survival instincts.

The world has always had dumb people, but I think they are breeding at an accellerating rate.
I've gone Galt. Obama and all the other commie's can kiss my a....
Delawhere Jack
Post Hoarder

Postby Morsecode » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:03 pm

"...for some talking haircut of a financial 'advisor'..."

Nice :D

Never a dull moment when Neil gets rolling.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:46 pm

neilgin1 wrote:we may all think "PM/BM good, FRN bad"

There's nothing quite like a good BM!!! :mrgreen:
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:57 pm

justj2k78 wrote:
neilgin1 wrote:we may all think "PM/BM good, FRN bad"

There's nothing quite like a good BM!!! :mrgreen:

and nothing quite like a good PM, i'll let your(our) depraved imagination run with that.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:21 pm

Delawhere Jack wrote:
ardorlan wrote:I believe most people are not even aware of themselves, let alone the world around them.

ROTFLMAO!!

That is SO TRUE! And it's getting worse. How often do you see people walk across an intersection without looking? Especially if they're too busy texting. I can't tell you how many times I've seen these lost souls walk right into traffic, texting or talking on cell phones. They are SO LOST in the superficial "reality" that has been programmed into them that they have ZERO survival instincts.

The world has always had dumb people, but I think they are breeding at an accellerating rate.

Sounds like some of the tourists I've had to dodge. Seems like they think they are in Disneyland, or something.

"Duhrrrr (drool, drool, drool) What langwich do you speak in Alaska? Do you have your own kind of money?"

(Stares at a raven) "Looky Maude! Itsaniggle!"

"Gawrsh, you have /cars/? Werza dog sleds?"

Some charactors have put together entire books of "touristisms".
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby justj2k78 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:38 pm

Funny story... when I got into this whole silver thing, my dad gave me some coins that he had found in my grandparents house when my grandmother died in 1996. A couple Morgans, an old half, a bunch of Indian Heads, Buffalo nickles, a bunch of wheats and some really cool, really old stuff. And my 81 year old father says "try to sell these, and go on a vacation!"... of course I didn't, that's family history to be passed on. My father is the kind of guy who would send someone on a vacation... and he got in a position to do that by sacrificing such things himself. Irony!
justj2k78
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals