What else can you find while sorting halves?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

What else can you find while sorting halves?

Postby uthminsta » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:24 pm

First and foremost, when you get halves from the bank you're looking for silver. But what else could be in those stacks of coins to look for? Stuff that you might be able to flip to make a quick buck or two...
- Lots of proofs are being found... are any of you successfully selling them?
- NIFCs (Not intended for circulation) including 1987 and 2002-present... same question.
- Errors and varieties... I know of the 1982 missing the initials FG on the reverse and the 1974D doubled die obverse. Are there any others? I found a list of what may be hundreds at kennedyhalfdollar.com, but most of them have populations under 10 so they're not really viable...
uthminsta
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: What else can you find while sorting halves?

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:25 am

I have sold some of my proofs. The best one I sold for $20. I cannot remember the year. I sold a 2011 for $1. Not a big profit, but hey. I have also sold some of my 1987's for $5.

I keep the NIFC's but haven't done anything with them. I would like to put some sets together.

In regards to the 1982's I got two rolls of new ones at a bank a couple of years back. I thought it was odd that they were there so I kept them. They were turned in by someone and there was a bunch of 1987's in another roll in the batch. I am going to have to dig out the 82's. Wouldn't it be great if I had two rolls of the no FG's. The shame was I stopped at a bank and got a bunch of rolls and short of the coins already listed, there wasn't anything there. The very next bank had $90 and they were all silver. I traded in several rolls of the other ones for the silver (It was a nice score some walkers, franklins 1964's It was $600-700 worth of silver when it was $12 per oz). It has always been the back of my mind that I missed something in the rolls that I traded in.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby hags » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:46 pm

I keep finding car wash tokens...they're worth $8 at the local car wash....bet I have 20 of them....someone keeps throwing them in with their change....

automatic car wash only 50 cents so I have the cleanest truck in town..... :mrgreen:

I do wonder if the low mintage halves will ever gain in value.....from 2002 to present the mintage of halves dropped off considerably....never seem to find really nice halves in those years either....I wonder if the mint is still sitting on that low mintage stuff and waiting for the older coins to attrition.....when you think about it, who uses halves anymore for day to day change?.....the lower mintage numbers since 2002 must mean less are being used in everyday transactions.....

hags
hags
Penny Pincher Member

Postby creshka46 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:06 pm

I haven't done a whole lot with halves. A while back I went for about a month or 2 getting 2 boxes per week. I found some silver but the only unusual thing I found was a Canadian Toonie. Apparently they're the same size.
Pennies: $4200 - (0) indians - (5)steel - (1) George V Canadian
Nickels: $6500 - (62)war - (23)buf - (1)V nic - (4) key date jeff's
Dimes: $5000 - (24)roos - (2)merc - (2)AgCAN
Halves: $8000 - (7)'64 - (33)40% - (1)walker
creshka46
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby knibloe » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:53 pm

creshka46 wrote:I haven't done a whole lot with halves. A while back I went for about a month or 2 getting 2 boxes per week. I found some silver but the only unusual thing I found was a Canadian Toonie. Apparently they're the same size.

Now that you mentioned that, I did get a bag once that had 17 Toonies in it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:01 pm

Is it worth keeping the NIFC halves anymore? I figure they are pretty hard to get rid of now.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby totalcount » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 pm

hags wrote:I do wonder if the low mintage halves will ever gain in value.....from 2002 to present the mintage of halves dropped off considerably....never seem to find really nice halves in those years either....I wonder if the mint is still sitting on that low mintage stuff and waiting for the older coins to attrition.....when you think about it, who uses halves anymore for day to day change?.....the lower mintage numbers since 2002 must mean less are being used in everyday transactions.....

The mint uses them exclusively in mint sets and in bags and rolls sold on the mint web site for well over face value. The only way they make it into circulation is when someone who bought them from the mint spends them or deposits them.

As for gaining in value, I doubt it, but we can always hope. I don't think there are a million people collecting halves, there are enough for everyone to get one. (And of the collectors, not all will pay above face.)
totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Economist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:33 am

I found a 1951 British penny- exact diameter of a US half. Pretty cool. I think I also got a walker in that box.
Economist
Penny Pincher Member

Postby camtender » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:46 pm

Last edited by camtender on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
camtender
Penny Collector Member

Postby fb101 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:45 pm

I've gotten a few old british coppers, a few bahamian or bermudan halves.
Now a box full of toonies would be nice.........
fb101
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby dan53 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Today I got a 1943 british half crown. The teller noticed the bulge in the roll and dumped the coins out. I told her I didn't mind that it wasn't a regular half. It has about $9.00 worth of silver. I also got two presidential tokens. Not much value there I don't think.
dan53
Penny Pincher Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals