just watching Ebay trade

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

just watching Ebay trade

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:56 pm

Sunday night...watching a bunch of rolls, all 90's and 40's, and i'm telling yall, there is some real demand out there, most 90's are trading way above 30X's , 90% dime rolls are crazy, 33X's plus...jacked up snipes, etc. I know Ray disagrees with me, but if Ebay is a microcosm of the market in general, we'll trade much higher this week. People WANT silver.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: just watching Ebay trade

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:31 pm

Not sure I remember Ray's view on this, but at some point I think many of us think that the physical market and the spot paper market get disconnected.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:23 am

Watching Ebay too. Made a good deal on a roll of quarters... but it's clear ordinary people are buying big time. People are buying over spot price, which makes it clear they do believe silver will go higher...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:36 am

I concur. I bought a couple junk lots 2 weeks ago while I was price enforcing 27x delivered. Prices are not close to that now. Lots of demand for physical I figure.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:51 am

It will only get worse. I stopped stacking Cu pennies; I'm all on silver right now. We will have more time for copper later.. Silver is too hot.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:58 am

My purchases were actually only 1 week ago. I'm long, very long on silver, so I'm not so worried about how hot it is, but there is definitely a change in the eBay buying in only 1 week. There's no denying that.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:22 am

I don't think there is such a change in one week, but I do think that silver demand is so strong that we will see higher prices very soon.

People don't realize that buying coins at spot price is not a good idea, as there is a melt ban AND even if there wasn't smelting would cost at least 30%.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby TwoAndAHalfCents » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:29 am

I'm starting to slow down my eBay junk silver buying now after really loading up during the first two weeks of this month. When the auctions start getting up above spot that's when I know its getting too crowded.
TwoAndAHalfCents
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:43 am

balz wrote:I don't think there is such a change in one week, but I do think that silver demand is so strong that we will see higher prices very soon.

People don't realize that buying coins at spot price is not a good idea, as there is a melt ban AND even if there wasn't smelting would cost at least 30%.

i respectfully disagree with you regarding purchases of silver 90% American coinage, (and 40's as well), and what i'm about to write is NOT directed at you; the reason i focus entirely on coins that say "United States of America" , is this is the country i was born in, and will die in. The melt ban is LAW, and as long as i live and breathe, i intend on following the law. True, i regard fiat with suspicion, thats why i take fiat out of play and put it into American silver coinage as units of trade. what disturbs me, is that when one gets into the realm of hard money advocates, i also see a LOT of seditious talk...again, i'm NOT refering to you, i'm talking about those who speak of rebellion, ie 'militia' types, so called "patriots"...anything like that. oh yes, i am very very wary of TPTB, of course, but equally wary of those who preach rebellion, and they can come packaged in both right wing and left wing flavors, and THEY DO. and i find both entities disturbing to the health of this nation.
didnt mean to blow off topic, but whenever i see the words, "melt ban", i get wary. i'm not buying coins to melt them. If anyone else is, fine, go wild, have fun. Not me.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:35 am

neilgin1 wrote:
balz wrote:I don't think there is such a change in one week, but I do think that silver demand is so strong that we will see higher prices very soon.

i respectfully disagree with you regarding purchases of silver 90% American coinage, (and 40's as well), and what i'm about to write is NOT directed at you; the reason i focus entirely on coins that say "United States of America" , is this is the country i was born in, and will die in. The melt ban is LAW, and as long as i live and breathe, i intend on following the law. True, i regard fiat with suspicion, thats why i take fiat out of play and put it into American silver coinage as units of trade. what disturbs me, is that when one gets into the realm of hard money advocates, i also see a LOT of seditious talk...again, i'm NOT refering to you, i'm talking about those who speak of rebellion, ie 'militia' types, so called "patriots"...anything like that. oh yes, i am very very wary of TPTB, of course, but equally wary of those who preach rebellion, and they can come packaged in both right wing and left wing flavors, and THEY DO. and i find both entities disturbing to the health of this nation.
didnt mean to blow off topic, but whenever i see the words, "melt ban", i get wary. i'm not buying coins to melt them. If anyone else is, fine, go wild, have fun. Not me.

Hey don't worry, I am not upset at your reply! ;)

Let me explain what I mean.

I don't want to melt coins either, but I do believe that since we don't believe in fiat currency the real value of those coins lie in the silver content. So if it's about silver, then the value of the 90% silver each coin has must come from what one can do with this silver. I know I am not very good to explain what I mean, but I will try to explain it a different way.

Let's say there is a house for sale in what is now becoming a central area. Everywhere around the house, there are condos, tall buildings, well a real downtown. And there there is the house. What is the value of this house? It is VERY HIGH, you are right. Is it because of the value of the house itself? No. It is because of the POSSIBILITY to destroy the house and build another tall building there. This is the real value. If there was any law preventing from destroying this house and building another tall building, then you would have... only a house, maybe worth more than other house outside of downtown, but not as much.

My point is that what gives silver a value is the POSSIBILITY to smelt it, which, of course, does not mean anyone has the intent of doing it.

Of course we can use the coins as they are, but if you have the possibility to smelt them, then they worth really more, even if you don't do it. And since that possibility comes at a cost (smelting cost) then I believe the price of those coins should be below spot.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby JJM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:53 pm

Did the goobermint* re-institute the melt ban on silver and forget to tell me about it? :shock:
JJM
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:29 pm

JJM wrote:Did the goobermint* re-institute the melt ban on silver and forget to tell me about it? :shock:

I didn't know there was a melt ban on silver either.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Mossy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:01 pm

(ahem) The melt ban is on copper pennies and nickles.

In any event, I regard the silver coinage to be a convenient size for commerce, if things ever get that bad.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby ardorlan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Mossy wrote:(ahem) The melt ban is on copper pennies and nickles.

In any event, I regard the silver coinage to be a convenient size for commerce, if things ever get that bad.

When did it become legal to melt silver coins again?
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:17 pm

ardorlan wrote:
Mossy wrote:(ahem) The melt ban is on copper pennies and nickles.

When did it become legal to melt silver coins again?

1969, I believe.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Recall the book on the 1980 silver boom, "The Big Silver Melt" by Henry A Merton? (Discussed here a number of times.) It was called that for a reason. They were sending silver coins by the ton to the smelter. Legally. It was legal then and is still legal. The melt ban (again) only applies to cents and 5 cents, intended for a limited time (but with no end time yet defined).
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

So it's legal to melt silver coins in the U.S.? Didn't know that... In Canada any destruction of money or smelting is forbidden.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:23 pm

It's too expensive now on Ebay. I don't understand why anyone would pay over spot...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:35 pm

68Camaro wrote:Not sure I remember Ray's view on this, but at some point I think many of us think that the physical market and the spot paper market get disconnected.

Perhaps we are seeing the beginnings of the disconnection 68Camaro refers to. Maybe folks are now willing to pay a little more for an actual piece of silver, one you can actually hold in your hand. As opposed to the price someone is willing to pay for a piece of paper that says they own some silver (spot).
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:59 pm

tractorman wrote:
68Camaro wrote:Not sure I remember Ray's view on this, but at some point I think many of us think that the physical market and the spot paper market get disconnected.

Perhaps we are seeing the beginnings of the disconnection 68Camaro refers to. Maybe folks are now willing to pay a little more for an actual piece of silver, one you can actually hold in your hand. As opposed to the price someone is willing to pay for a piece of paper that says they own some silver (spot).

Maybe you're right

I see rolls of dimes at over 160$... This is crazy.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby tractorman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:16 pm

I just looked at the last dime lot to end, someone is getting these 20 silver dimes for 26.5x shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOOSEVELT-DIMES-20-FACE-VALUE-2-00-/230672029038?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35b51fd56e&autorefresh=true

Maybe the $160 rolls have some kind of numis value? I ignore those.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby balz » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I hope so... Because it's expensive.. Ag is at 39$ let's not forget...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:08 pm

Just searched recent completed quarter rolls,it looks like the price is right around spot for regular circulated rolls...
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby neilgin1 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:16 pm

balz wrote:Of course we can use the coins as they are, but if you have the possibility to smelt them, then they worth really more, even if you don't do it. And since that possibility comes at a cost (smelting cost) then I believe the price of those coins should be below spot.

GREAT point bro! well spoke, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby RR GUY » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:46 pm

On a side note, just got an email that ebay bucks will no longer be available for all bullion, coin and currency sales on the site as of 10/01/11. Oh well, maybe this is clearly a sign of the amount of traffic and trading that occurs on the site.
RR GUY
Penny Sorter Member

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals