2012 Australian Year of the Dragon silver?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

2012 Australian Year of the Dragon silver?

Postby Hawkeye » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:50 pm

I've been buying the Australian silver lunar series II as they come out for the last few years. I got this email from APMEX and was wondering what the deal is with the $99.99 "special price" and 1 coin limit. I've bought this series since it started and it's always just been a $5-$10 over spot and there hasn't been a limit. They have a mintage of 300,000, which is limited, but it's not that limited. Is there that much demand for those coins, or is APMEX just trying to gouge me on a newly released coin? To continue my collection, I will pay that price if I have to, but I would obviously rather not. What's the deal? Here is the email:

The 2012 Year of the Dragon 1 oz Silver coins have been highly anticipated around the globe. With over 2 million requests received by the Perth Mint, the total mintage of only 300,000 coins has made the 2012 Silver Dragon even harder to find.
Due to the overwhelming demand, the 1 oz. Silver Dragon coin will only be available to customers who have previously purchased 1 oz. Silver Australian Lunar Series 2 coins from us, or those who participated in the AlertMe! feature. In order to accommodate as many requests as possible, each customer may purchase only 1 coin at this time. We appreciate your understanding. To show our appreciation, we are offering this 2012 1 oz. Silver Dragon coin at a one-time-only price of $99.99. This special offer extends to Friday, September 23, 2011, or while supplies last. These products will ship by October 4, 2011 or sooner.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: 2012 Australian Year of the Dragon silver?

Postby Rastatodd » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:22 pm

Hawkeye,
I have hear from my fellow blog members from another site that they have placed their order for their Lunar dragons and been sent confirmation that there order has been place but when they log into the Perth Mint site no such order exists. Quite a demand for this round at a very inflated price. A little steep for my taste. Those that collect the lunar series and are able to complete a set to date really has some thing to keep and for others to be jealous of. Hope you bag your dragon.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby MikeyPooh » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:28 pm

I got that email too and am thinking of gambling on it. I checked Gainesville and they list them for like $118. I was surprised they were higher than Apmex.
MikeyPooh

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:15 am

Gainsville did have half oz. and 2 oz. dragons for reasonable prices but they only were available for two days that I saw. I got a few 2 oz. dragons for $102 each. I should have maxed out the credit cards because I think I'll double my money judging from what I have seen so far on e-bay. :mrgreen:
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:18 am

I went ahead and took the gamble. Everything looks ok. I got my order confirmation and checked the site, and the order is there, so I should be good. It's more that I would normally pay, but I figure I only have one set, and if I can keep this set going, it is going to be very cool when I complete it. That's a lot of money for one coin and I may kick myself, but I would probably kick myself harder if I didn't get it and couldn't complete the set.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:19 am

blackrabbit wrote:Gainsville did have half oz. and 2 oz. dragons for reasonable prices but they only were available for two days that I saw. I got a few 2 oz. dragons for $102 each. I should have maxed out the credit cards because I think I'll double my money judging from what I have seen so far on e-bay. :mrgreen:

Nice score. I'll have to keep an eye out for those.
Metal > Paper
Hawkeye
Penny Hoarding Member

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals