They're sniffing glue over at Ebay

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

They're sniffing glue over at Ebay

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:03 pm

in silver rolls, most of the offers and BIN's are priced pre-Thursday, and its like being in "never-never" land, i look at the offers and laugh. poor guys. and the saddest thing are the bidders on the high qulaity stuff that are just hung, guys paying 33-36 times for 90's and guys paying 45 an Eagle on rolls...HUNG.

the silver market just shifted gears down, this isnt a temporary thing, we're headed to the low 30's, easy, might see 27, but that gooood.

know i know why they have the term, silver lining. you betcha.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Re: They're sniffing glue over at Ebay

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:09 pm

I was wishing for someone to come up with this. This is AMAZING. People are buying like nothing happened today. I wanted to make some good deal but it's impossible.

Totally crazy.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby aloneibreak » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:13 pm

neilgin1 wrote:in silver rolls, most of the offers and BIN's are priced pre-Thursday, and its like being in "never-never" land, i look at the offers and laugh. poor guys. and the saddest thing are the bidders on the high qulaity stuff that are just hung, guys paying 33-36 times for 90's and guys paying 45 an Eagle on rolls...HUNG.

the silver market just shifted gears down, this isnt a temporary thing, we're headed to the low 30's, easy, might see 27, but that gooood.

a good lesson on why NOT to bid on silver auctions 3 or 4 days out...

lots of bidders try to back out on bids in situations like this - but theyd have a fit if THEY were the seller
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
aloneibreak
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:43 pm

neilgin1 wrote:in silver rolls, most of the offers and BIN's are priced pre-Thursday, and its like being in "never-never" land, i look at the offers and laugh. poor guys. and the saddest thing are the bidders on the high qulaity stuff that are just hung, guys paying 33-36 times for 90's and guys paying 45 an Eagle on rolls...HUNG.

If silver drops down the $27/oz, that is the day I take every credit card I have and buy as many monster boxes of ASE's as possible. I think that price is possible, but not very probable.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby blackrabbit » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:48 pm

Yea I could see it dropping a few more bucks but not much more. Why do you think this drop is not going to be a short lived one?
"If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around them will deprive the people of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their Fathers conquered....The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs."
-Thomas Jefferson
blackrabbit
Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Meh...eBay prices are usually higher than other online sources, and will lag a little more because of the auction format, but you guys still lend far too much credence to the paper prices. Unlike imaginary silver contracts, physical bullion is subject to a free market, and is therefore worth whatever a buyer and seller agree upon. Physical prices will drop, but not as quickly and not as severely as paper, and they'll jump right back up as soon as the ticker starts moving the other way.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:11 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Yea I could see it dropping a few more bucks but not much more. Why do you think this drop is not going to be a short lived one?

I am optimistic about PMs in general because of what is going on in the world. There are good things and bad things going on:

Good:
Looking at the gold chart I see a gap that needs to fill at the $1675 area (support). A retracement back to that area would be actually be healthy. Also, the fall season historically tends to be good for gold and silver prices.

Bad:
When the markets have been dropping like today, margin calls force traders to sell things (ie. everything) that they normally wouldn't in order to stay liquid. The stock market and PM market are now moving together like they did in 2008. If we break $1675, the next support level is around $1575.

Hang on to your hat.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby BamaJoe » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:28 pm

Go ahead and say my rose colored glases are on too tight, but I have a hunch the dip is going to be shortlived and then prices will move up.
If you are waiting for the "correction" to buy you need to realize that the increasing prices ARE the correction.

$100 Silver soon coming to a location near you.
BamaJoe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:47 pm

Just saw 200 Roosevelt dimes go for 526$ + 14$ shipping...

IN-SA-NE.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Coppercrazy » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:57 pm

wasnt it not that long ago we discussed a theory that physical will disconnect from paper prices soon? like as in now maybe? Nows the time to hit the local coin shops and pawn shops and see if they have anything to unload at todays spot!
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Well maybe it's because the dip happened today, but I must say I see a disconnecting... On Ebay it's like nothing happened at all!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:02 pm

BTW I see another auction... 200 dimes at 542$ + shipping... Insane.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby natsb88 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:11 pm

balz wrote:Just saw 200 Roosevelt dimes go for 526$ + 14$ shipping...

IN-SA-NE.

Maybe what's happening to paper silver is INSANE, and we should be looking to physical silver as the standard of pricing ;)
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:41 pm

blackrabbit wrote:Yea I could see it dropping a few more bucks but not much more. Why do you think this drop is not going to be a short lived one?

it feels different, too much hyperventilating on media, being long is the easy trade, which makes "being short" the better trade, the last rally, open interest went down...so many reasons, thats why i said it feels different.

then again, i could be wrong. not the first time.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:52 pm

balz wrote:Well maybe it's because the dip happened today, but I must say I see a disconnecting... On Ebay it's like nothing happened at all!

some newly placed auctions from the quality dealers reflect a backing off.......ALL quality dealers will usually start their auctions from 0.99 to 9.99 and let the market take it to where its going to go. the hobbyist and drawer emptiers try and start their auctions at 25 times for 10FV.....or 99 dollars for 5FV of dimes, that sort of stuff.

but there's a bunch of guys HUNG out there, they're probably ended now, the auctions, but i saw quite a few bids for 10FV 90's at 33-38 times face...and woe to the buyer that thinks of backing out....and like i said some goofy sellers with kooky offers, thinking they;re gonna get hit offering rolls of GEM Franklins at 59 to 62 times face...right....or that crazy Chicago coin shop offering ASES at 1300...they DONT sell.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby HoardCopperByTheTon » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:52 am

With 50 free auctions on Ebay each month it is a license to go fishing. You would be crazy to sell bullion at a fair price on eBay. The eBay and PayPal bite are much too significant. So you start at a fair price, add in all the eBay fees.. put in a food profit for padding.. and throw your line out hoping to hook one. No sale.. no problem.. no cost. :mrgreen:
If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more
HoardCopperByTheTon
HoardsPostsByTheTon

Postby balz » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Correct me if I am wrong but the free auctions are for starting bids under 10$, right?
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:02 am

I sold my US 90% holdings on Craigslist when silver was low forty's, spun the money into Scottsdale 1 ounce bars a sheet of 10. Now with the dip I am trying to restock my US 90% holdings. Thought I would try eBay and get some bargains. But at the "ending soonest" page, people are still bidding up 90% coins like crazy. I'm just shaking my head at the absurdity of whats taking place on a venue I use to accumulate my silver holdings. I really have to comb through auctions to weed out a descent buy. Only descent buy if you can call it, is two 64 Kennedy halves for a sum of $26.50. I was the lone bidder. Now the premium is more than I can stomach. But two auctions down from that one, a single Franklin half (nothing special, common date) was going for over mid 14 dollar range. So I purchased the Kennedy halves, $13.25 each. I don't know what to make of the people bidding on these auctions or what their mind set is. eBay for me is on the back burner, for now. Lets see what Sunday markets hold. :?
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tn-dave » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 pm

I figured that some of the auctions ending this weekend had bids that were placed earlier in the week. So I looked in newly listed for a couple of 24 hour auctions. Placed a bid on a couple of halves and I got outbid. With shipping, they went for $14.50 and $15. Average, pretty worn Walker halves. I agree that ebay is probably going on the back burner for me too.
tn-dave
Penny Collector Member

Postby schockergd » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:43 pm

The price floor on ebay is around $38 a ounce , and these are CURRENT auctions, not one that were bid up prior to the drop, the demand at $38 outweighs supply ,so prices are stable.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby franklin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:47 pm

My belief is that most of these bidders see the larger picture regarding the financial future of our country and are positioning themselves likewise. A few weeks ago a friend sold Buffalo Rounds for around $48 to $50 when spot was at 42. Were they sniffing glue then? People do things for different reasons.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:18 pm

franklin wrote:My belief is that most of these bidders see the larger picture regarding the financial future of our country and are positioning themselves likewise. A few weeks ago a friend sold Buffalo Rounds for around $48 to $50 when spot was at 42. Were they sniffing glue then? People do things for different reasons.

check out the BIN's.....59 times for Franklins, ASES at 1300 a roll?..i saw a guy today, starting bid on ASES at 800 a roll, zero bids.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals