Sell off continues today

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Sell off continues today

Postby Pennysaved » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:05 am

Can't believe silver is getting hit so hard; right now it is down another 9% from yesterday.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Sell off continues today

Postby Morsecode » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:11 am

Dollar cost averaging, anyone? Anyone?...Bueller....Bueller...?

Wish I had the cash to jump on Monday.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Double3 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:16 am

I'm trying to figure out how much money I can spend. :lol:
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby coincrazy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:25 am

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

$26 silver anyone?
coincrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby slickeast » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:33 am

Ok, someone explain why it is droping 10% a day? I would have thought today people would be buying with both hands. Looks like everyone is unloading using a dump truck.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby beauanderos » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:43 am

slickeast wrote:Ok, someone explain why it is droping 10% a day? I would have thought today people would be buying with both hands. Looks like everyone is unloading using a dump truck.

More selling than buying. Notice I DID NOT say more sellers, than buyers. JPMorgan loves opportunities like these, when a market downdraft might plausibly affect metals prices... and they can sneak in and engineer further massive sell-offs with their frikkin naked shorts... and it will be disguised by the general mayhem, and potentially dismissed as a causative factor.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby doug » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:45 am

margin calls
doug
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:55 am

beauanderos wrote:
slickeast wrote:Ok, someone explain why it is droping 10% a day? I would have thought today people would be buying with both hands. Looks like everyone is unloading using a dump truck.

More selling than buying. Notice I DID NOT say more sellers, than buyers. JPMorgan loves opportunities like these, when a market downdraft might plausibly affect metals prices... and they can sneak in and engineer further massive sell-offs with their frikkin naked shorts... and it will be disguised by the general mayhem, and potentially dismissed as a causative factor.

+1

At the rate it is dropping, I bet it will be in the lower $20's before this stops. My "BUY!" will be around $25, or lower.
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:11 am

This is a good chance to buy and sell covered calls on SIVR or other silver ETF's. Fairly low risk money at this stage.
barrytrot

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:25 am

kitco's boggin down on my end......anyone else?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:32 am

Pennysaved wrote:Can't believe silver is getting hit so hard; right now it is down another 9% from yesterday.

why cant you believe it? dont mean that as an insult, not at all. We know the fundamentals of the market, but what we dont know, are the intentions of the millions of participants, THATS the only reason, i look at charts, because charts are the distillation of those million market opinions. You have to know both, the OBVIOUS directional is HIGHER...right? But the charts were pointing to a weakening of buying, it didnt have gas, it was trading funny to the upside in these last weeks here. The riskier trade was to be short the board, that was the better trade...OBVIOUSLY. Two back to back 10% point drops?
i know major banks are shorts, but this is beyond them. If you look at the margins, and think of the many retail investors, how cars could they REALLY put on? a 50k account....maybe 2 cars max. But an institutional investor, can hurl hundreds of cars at this thing, no problem.

When i say its beyond them, go peruse every single physical commodity, they're getting slammed. Grains, slammed, Energy, Foods and Fibers, all hammered. The "financial managers", FED, Treasury, ESB, they have no more bullets, thats why Bernacke's slide out of short term paper to longer term bonds, was a sign of his impotence. Europe is behaving like 20 headless yard chickens, several large French banks are in huge trouble, this thing with a rogue trader hitting UBS with a 2 bln USD hickey, that was huge, its indicates the venerable UBS has no controls over their various desks, and in the fore, Bank of America is the looming threat. point being, the way the WHOLE thing is trading, is that its all 'out of control', and when it gets there, panic fills the air. USD will probably trade higher, which is why a week ago, if you look, i said the play was long dollars, short Euro's. But i'm of the opinion, any good dedicated STACKER, shouldnt even go NEAR a futures market...just watch them like you would a tachometer in a car. it feels like maybe $27 in silver is the band up area, though if this thing gets out of hand, we MIGHT see 20. my desire is get 600 USD ASES, 22 times 90's.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Rodebaugh » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:37 am

neil, your not far from getting the prices on your wish list.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:39 am

Rodebaugh wrote:neil, your not far from getting the prices on your wish list.

yeh bud, Doc, i hope you got those 8 bars sold at the offer.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:46 am

not to boast, but i believe a trader/stacker, should constantly be involved in self examination, as to what they were thinking THEN, in the past, and i had it nailed. Mind you, i was stilling buying 40's, but i found this post, i wrote:
Edit postReport this postReply with quoteRe: SILVER PART 2 - THE RISE TO $75 - NOW AT $42+
by neilgin1 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:23 pm

i just got a feeling we're heading lower, mid 30's, maybe re-test that recent 33 low. been thinking, these large entities that use silver futures like an ATM, they can still prevail at their little game for two reasons, COMEX silver open interest is not deep and wide, and they have free e-money from the Fed.....and going lower might not be as bad as it sounds. Personally i wouldnt mind the potential opportunity to get ASE rolls at 700...OR even 600, as unthinkable as that sounds. have a good weekend. 9-11, ten years, honor the fallen, never forget. neil

i dont put that to boast, it just sometimes you get to the point, you stop "thinking", and move on instinct, which is really the distillation of years of thinking, watching and being wrong. Coz when you're wrong, you should dissect, WHY you were wrong. Now, i'm looking for the post where i said the play that convinced me silver's headed lower, was where i wrote, about a week ago, the go long USD, short Euro's, when i saw that going long dollars was a money maker (against Euros) that was what convinced me, a sea change was in order..cant find it though. neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby ardorlan » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:41 am

Double3 wrote:I'm trying to figure out how much money I can spend. :lol:

I did this, and it turns out I am broke.
ardorlan
Penny Pincher Member

Postby highroller4321 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:43 am

I think the title needs to be fixed to sell off. Self off sounds like you are going too......you get my point. ( Just fixed it for him.... :D CC)
highroller4321
Realcent Moderator

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:47 am

Wow. Think it's going to keep going next week?

( :shock: Uh, yeah. What highroller said. :lol: )
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 am

Well Neil - we hit the 31s today, so that isn't far off your 27s. I sold my SVM at a small profit (can't complain) and another small one that wasn't going anywhere soon, and created some more ammo. See what I can do with it today. I can't predict bottoms, but I'm comfortable with the prices now. If I get all in, and it still goes down more, then I'm on the sideline and will just wait it out.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:15 am

highroller4321 wrote:I think the title needs to be fixed to sell off. Self off sounds like you are going too......you get my point.

:lol: Yeah, I saw that, too, on the first read... But, I was too polite to mention anything. :P

Pennysaved, which is it? Are you single, or been married for more than 20 years?? :lol:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote: Pennysaved, which is it? Are you single, or been married for more than 20 years?? :lol:

So far as the bedroom is concerned, there's a diff?
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Country » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:28 am

I'm a buyer here for physical metal: SILVER, GOLD, OR PLATINUM. Strong SILVER support is here at $31, which was the bottom when SILVER fell from $49+.

I'd say, we need to look to GOLD for the beginning of the new leg higher. GOLD has been the leader, while SILVER has been the follower recently. GOLD's recent high was $1911 and is now at $1663; that a 13% drop from the high. Now, the GOLD breakout after 2009 began last year from $1150 and rose to $1911 just recently; a 66% rise. If you feel like me that this BULL MARKET has not ended, a 1/3 drop from the height of the rise, or a 44% increase from $1150, leaves us down $250 from the top RIGHT AROUND WHERE GOLD IS NOW! That's why I say it's time to BUY, BUY, BUY. The blood is flowing like a river, and I'll be going to a coin show tomorrow as a buyer.
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~Chief Seattle, 1855
Country
Realcent Moderator

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:51 am

APMEX sold out of ASEs this morning. Inventories are beginning to dry up.

People waiting for $27 or below will be very disappointed when they finally go to buy some and it's not available.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:58 am

I am going to a coin show tommorow. I am curious to see what the premium will be on silver
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:APMEX sold out of ASEs this morning. Inventories are beginning to dry up.

People waiting for $27 or below will be very disappointed when they finally go to buy some and it's not available.

There is silver to buy. ASE's are only one type. And APMEX is not the only place to buy.

If silver were $5 there would still be sellers. And if it were $100 there would still be buyers.
barrytrot

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:09 pm

In 2008 when G&S were getting hammered, I tried 4 different dealers and ALL ASE's were sold out. Ebay was the only way to get them and the premiums were ridiculously high.

Large bars have the lowest premiums because they're not fractional and less liquid.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals