Physical price disconnecting from spot?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Re: Physical price disconnecting from spot?

Postby balz » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:16 pm

Hmm... Seems complicated. But thanks!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 pm

68Camaro wrote:There is a sense in which I agree. But, I cannot make the above blanket statement that you do, because there are real reasons to own instruments, and real reasons why some things cannot be invested in physical. And so here is one example of that - a key one. I do not really own anything in my 401K in that sense that I can't hold it, yet I must assign something to it because I do not yet have access to the funds. So I if I have to put that 401K in something I have chosen to trade in PSLV and PHYS. There is nothing illogical about that. If the economy tanks, yet the S does not completely HTF, then I will actually own something (even if it is up in Canada, in the RCM) physical.

(I also think it benefits you to have an appreciation for how the market is working (or not), even if you don't want to own any of it.)

You are much more optimistic than I am. I understand the leverage aspects of gold stocks and funds, but the banking system and the stock market are hanging off a cliff right now.

IMO, 401k, IRAs are scams. Bankster brokers are skimming money (fees, commissions, expenses, front loads, back loads, etc.) from naive people who own these things. These instruments were created for this very purpose. 90% of the people who contribute to these things have absolutely no clue of what they are "investing" in... including most people reading this forum.

The US government is desparate for cash because they are bankrupt. Social security is bankrupt, the post office is bankrupt, entire states are bankrupt, Medicare is in big trouble, pension funds and college endowments are in trouble, muni bonds are close to collapsing, the Fed is buying all US bonds now. I could never "invest" in anything but physical at this point in time. There are so many things that could bring this market down tomorrow.

There has been much talk about a government conversion (ie. confiscation) of 401ks and IRAs into 'guaranteed' government retirement annuities. Can you imagine how ludicrous that is... they would be 'guaranteed' by a bankrupt government. "We're from the government and we're here to help you" - yikes!
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:35 am

I stopped further contributions 2 years ago, but it's there, so might as well play with it. If the S doesn't HTF for another year or two, I might even be able to get it out.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby IdahoCopper » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:55 am

68Camaro wrote:I stopped further contributions 2 years ago, but it's there, so might as well play with it. If the S doesn't HTF for another year or two, I might even be able to get it out.

Ever consider cashing out the entire fund, paying the penalty, and stacking PMs? If you had done that a few years ago, you'd be laughing today. It still could be a good move.......

The penalty is there to keep chumps in their game.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

adagirl wrote:Might be the calm before the storm? Maybe the below link has something to do with your observation????

I just read this today: http://www.numismaticnews.net/article/s ... id=2173371

great article, but its a no go. The Chief of Staff of the President is William Daley, last job, honcho at JPMorgan Chase, the bank silver traders been using the Comex silver market as an ATM for years on the short side, and will continue to do so, because they CAN. With an open interest of 73k contracts, its easy to push it around. Just thank God these fools are engaging in blind greed. Their greed is your profit, accumulation of the physical using denuded paper.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:42 am

"PSLV"?...i would NEVER tell another guy what or what not to trade in, but when somebody buys into a cyber/paper based trading instrument, means you TRUST that instrument and the folks behind it. These days? i trust NOBODY in that realm. Trust is something that can flee, and it has fled this land. Sprott?...sure, great guy...love to have a drink with him, but when the day is done? Trust him?...or any of them. NO.
i trust God only , and the only way to bank is to secure that stack 20 feet from where you sit this second, but we all have our threshholds of risk, so everybodies gotta play their hand as they see fit. in respect, neil
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:02 am

This is all going completely off-topic, but to address several points (and I appreciate the suggestions), believe me, I've tried to do my due diligence here, and I'm fully aware of all the above.

To the best of my knowledge (and this is where I would love to find that I actually have another option that I'm not aware of), I'm in a 401K no-mans land at the moment. I've taken my max loan. I don't qualify for hardship withdrawal. I'm not yet 55 (though coming soon, I hope ;) ). I'm (obviously) not yet 59-1/2. I'm still employed. So I am prohibited from any further withdrawal at this time, with or without a penalty, unless I get older, or quit this job (which isn't going to happen - that loss would quickly overtake any advantage of having the 401K cash). Am I missing something else? Tell me if I am, but I'm not aware of any other option I have that would allow me to withdraw any of it now, much less most or all of it.

So given that I have the 401K, and I can't get the money out, why would investing in PMs be a bad choice? And of those choices, why would PSLV be a bad choice? If things get THAT bad such that PSLV disappears, or the RCM is nuked, etc, then frankly the 401K is the least of my worries, and what would have possibly been a better choice, of things that are available? I can't think of anything, frankly. (Besides other related PM funds, which I am already also in.)

So, unless I've missed something, the comments above seem to be addressing issues that aren't a problem (in the context), or providing solutions that aren't an option for me. Is there any other legal way to get the cash out that I'm not aware of?

Respectfully...
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby balz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:16 pm

I wonder if that disconnection between spot and PSLV could have foreseen the crash we experienced in the last days. If I remember well (too lazy to scroll back) the day before it crashed there was some weird disconnection between the two...
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:19 pm

balz wrote:I wonder if that disconnection between spot and PSLV could have foreseen the crash we experienced in the last days. If I remember well (too lazy to scroll back) the day before it crashed there was some weird disconnection between the two...

Don't know. But it's something I'm going to start paying more attention to in the future though.
68Camaro

Previous

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals