Bypass the Dollar?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bypass the Dollar?

Postby Thogey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 pm

We are lucky to find silver at, or a little above spot today and we have been discussing the disconnect between paper and physical.

For example. I have a fist full of ASEs and I'm not going to trade them for $600 in FRN, because TO ME THEY ARE WORTH MORE THAN THAT, and I really don't care what the chart says.

What am I going to do with FRN anyway? Buy stock, so a bunch of a-holes can spend it on whores, vacations and politicians? Put it in a savings account at .000000001%. (I should probably pay my house off)

What I really need is, my house guttered, to fill my fridge, to have my septic pumped, a bottle of booze. I think I could get a better deal bartering my silver off for the stuff I need, rather than trading it for the amount of paper the chart says is fair.

I'm not as good as neil, but do you all understand where I'm going? The chart is not forcing average folks to let go of their metal, because they can hold it and feel the value, and they don't have to capitulate to a margin call.

If you require goods or services it would be interesting to see if you can get a better deal over 'the BULLSH*T' spot price, and barter with physical silver, (not that anyone here actually has silver).

I think anyone who sells at a discount, linked to the spot price of silver, are suckers.

This spot price decline is a great opportunity.

I can see this situation as an example of how the USD will be bypassed.

It's a mind set change that requires one to measure their amount of trade leverage in something other than dollars and it's hard to break that paradigm.

Does this post make sense? I'm probably stating the obvious to y'all.
I've been drinking afterall, suprise! :mrgreen:
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Bypass the Dollar?

Postby balz » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:33 pm

I think that if the spot price remains where it is for some time, people will get used to it and there would be phyiscal silver sellers at that price.

However, I don't think this will happen and so are you and all the people refusing to sell at this price!
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:04 am

Bypass the FRN every chance you get.

ASE's are legal tender, are they not? Someone please answer that for me. They have dollar values assigned to them, but if you use them too much the IRS gets involved and says they are bullion... I am not clear of the rules right now. Which is it? Legal tender ($1 each), or bullion?
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:57 am

if you search for silver on CL, you'll often find vendors who advertise that they'll accept payment in 90%. its usually in the body of their ad, not the heading. in my area, you have tree cutters, plumbers, etc. with these ads.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:12 am

Major Thogey,
i hear ya, but the boys are very very serious about maintaining the USD as the global reserve currency. Ask Qaddafi about that, he started behaving, but then he made noise about a "Gold back African dinar"...and oops, suddenly very gunned up "rebels" appeared. What about our boy Hugo Chavez? making noise about the dollar and cavorting with bad children? ie, letting Russkies warships have harbor down there, suddenly Hugo gets sick, shuttling back and forth between Havana. Bad mouth the dollar on the world stage, and bad things happen to those who do it. n
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:07 am

I am stockpiling hay.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:58 pm

franklin wrote:I am stockpiling hay.

always a good play, and i'm being serious.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals