Cost averaging, whos on bourd?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Cost averaging, whos on bourd?

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:40 pm

About time the price of silver falls so as to cost average down those bullion rounds, I've spent to much on. I know those that hold physical position in this metal see the fall in the market as a bad sign. But you haven't lost anything as long as you hold it. Financial loss occurs at time of sale. So the drop in my opinion is a chance to cost average down my holdings, as to make those expense rounds and bars fall in line cost wise to make a profit from them at time of sale. Just my take on this down turn. :D
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Re: Cost averaging, whos on bourd?

Postby Thogey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:47 pm

It's not a bad sign. It's an awsome opportunity...If you can locate physical for sale.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:59 pm

I was at the coin shop to see how the day panned out there. Was surprised at all the silver in his display case. Was sitting around with the clerk talking over the silver situation when a young man in his twenty's walk in wanting to buy silver. Clerk asked him how much he was looking to buy, when he said $10,000. Well I took a double take thinking yeah right. Behold he threw down bundles of hundred dollar bills, I kid you not. Well I thought buying bullion in Minnesota will cost you sales tax of 8 cents for every dollar spent on silver. The young man should of place a order with online bullion dealer and saved the tax money. But he walked out of that shop loaded down, I hope the old Saturn he drove could take the weigh. Just maybe he was cost averaging in a very large scale! :lol:
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Thogey » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:03 pm

In AZ there is no sales tax on american currancy.

.90 junk is tax exempt.
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby aristobolus » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:05 pm

Rastatodd wrote:I was at the coin shop to see how the day panned out there. Was surprised at all the silver in his display case. Was sitting around with the clerk talking over the silver situation when a young man in his twenty's walk in wanting to buy silver. Clerk asked him how much he was looking to buy, when he said $10,000. Well I took a double take thinking yeah right. Behold he threw down bundles of hundred dollar bills, I kid you not. Well I thought buying bullion in Minnesota will cost you sales tax of 8 cents for every dollar spent on silver. The young man should of place a order with online bullion dealer and saved the tax money. But he walked out of that shop loaded down, I hope the old Saturn he drove could take the weigh. Just maybe he was cost averaging in a very large scale! :lol:

Sounds like a young man wise beyond his years; at least he did not sink that 10K into a down payment on an ever depreciating new car at his age!
aristobolus
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:08 pm

Yeah I was wondering if there was a state in the US that doesn't' collect tax on the sale of PMs. I tip my hat to the state of Arizona. Seems like their not trying at every turn to get in to your wallet. Not like the politicians in Minnesota.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:14 pm

I couldn't agree more, aristobolus. Maybe that is why he had all that cash I suppose. I wish I was bullion stacking at his age, I would have had a pile at my age of 48. Good for him. ;)
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby fansubs_ca » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:45 am

Rastatodd wrote:Well I thought buying bullion in Minnesota will cost you sales tax of 8 cents for every dollar spent on silver. The young man should of place a order with online bullion dealer and saved the tax money.

What part of Minnesota? I know a good dealer just over the river in Grand Forks, ND.
Apparently in ND anything that's legal tender somewhere (90% junk, eagles, even CDN
80% junk) is exempt from sales tax. I believe my dealer said there was tax on bars
though.
fansubs_ca
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:44 am

I'm in the Twin Cities, closer to Wisconsin. Do you know if that state, by chance has a sales tax? From time to time I buy silver from a coin shop in the metro but I have to keep in mind of the sales tax. That's the problem with living in Minnesota, you are taxed every which way. My daughter goes to school at the University of North Dakota. That is one good looking campus, and that hockey rink and football stadium is first class. Hope the school can continue with there school name. Go Fighting Sioux!
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Morsecode » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:58 am

In CT, no tax on coins...bullion over $1000 is exempt.

Here's a State by State breakdown:

http://thecoinologist.com/sales-tax-sta ... breakdown/
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:40 am

Thank you for the link, Morsecode. I've got it booked marked.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:01 am

I just checked Ebay for my usual silver coins - Canadian Dollar, Peace Dollar, Canadian Half Dollar, U.S. Quarter, and Mexican Onza. In some cases there are a lot less coins up for sale, and in all cases the prices haven't reflected (yet) the big drop in the price of silver. Maybe this will change in a couple of days. We'll see.
Mike
Penny Pincher Member

Postby inflationhawk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:30 am

I've nearly had it with ebay. They no longer allow you to use ebay bucks for silver or gold bullion purchases (well, for items listed in that category anyway). Ebay charges outrageous fees to sell things too. Between ebay fees and paypal fees, it doesn't make sense to sell there anymore. Next time I want to sell anything, I'll come to Realcent....although most here are wise enough to not pay the prices you can get on ebay for non-bullion items. Now is not the time to sell anyway. Time to start re-stocking.
inflationhawk
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Neckro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:52 am

inflationhawk wrote:I've nearly had it with ebay. They no longer allow you to use ebay bucks for silver or gold bullion purchases (well, for items listed in that category anyway). Ebay charges outrageous fees to sell things too. Between ebay fees and paypal fees, it doesn't make sense to sell there anymore. Next time I want to sell anything, I'll come to Realcent....although most here are wise enough to not pay the prices you can get on ebay for non-bullion items. Now is not the time to sell anyway. Time to start re-stocking.

I dont see the issue, can't use ebay bucks on bullion? Use ebay bucks to buy ebay giftcard, and use that card to buy the bullion.
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Postby Mossy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 am

Neckro wrote: I dont see the issue, can't use ebay bucks on bullion? Use ebay bucks to buy ebay giftcard, and use that card to buy the bullion.

Slick.

I wonder why no bullion, though. If it's dollar amount, then they should be putting a ceiling on ebay bucks instead of targetting bullion. Might be like them refusing to carry firearms; political orientation or "socially resposibility" (har, har). I prefer Sam Colt's works on social reform (historical reference; he refered to his hand guns that way at least once).
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:14 am

Rastatodd wrote:I was at the coin shop to see how the day panned out there. Was surprised at all the silver in his display case. Was sitting around with the clerk talking over the silver situation when a young man in his twenty's walk in wanting to buy silver. Clerk asked him how much he was looking to buy, when he said $10,000. Well I took a double take thinking yeah right. Behold he threw down bundles of hundred dollar bills, I kid you not. Well I thought buying bullion in Minnesota will cost you sales tax of 8 cents for every dollar spent on silver. The young man should of place a order with online bullion dealer and saved the tax money. But he walked out of that shop loaded down, I hope the old Saturn he drove could take the weigh. Just maybe he was cost averaging in a very large scale! :lol:

According to federal law, the dealer will have to report that cash transaction. If the buyer had spent $9999, the dealer would not need to report it.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Neckro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:31 am

Cu Penny Hoarder wrote:

According to federal law, the dealer will have to report that cash transaction. If the buyer had spent $9999, the dealer would not need to report it.

Is sales tax added into that equation?
Neckro
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals