Where's the BEST place/way to get eagles (closest to spot)?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Where's the BEST place/way to get eagles (closest to spot)?

Postby Pennybug » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:21 pm

Just wondering.... Gainsville coins is looking good! I just got a roll of nice Merc dimes.... for $115!!! Woo hoo... Think I'm going to spring for a roll of Eagles this weekend. Lookin for some advice here...

Thanks to all! 8-)
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: Where's the BEST place/way to get eagles (closest to spo

Postby Rastatodd » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:38 pm

I usually use Provident Metals. They are reasonably price for their ASE. But I bought my 10 eagles from Goldmart.com this morning, on a recommendation from a friend who has use them before. The price was more than a dollar cheaper. Give it a look, see what you think.
Rastatodd
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:42 pm

If you look, there is a post with a $5 coupon code for Gainesville. If you buy from them, might as well use it.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennybug » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:55 pm

Rastatodd wrote:I usually use Provident Metals. They are reasonably price for their ASE. But I bought my 10 eagles from Goldmart.com this morning, on a recommendation from a friend who has use them before. The price was more than a dollar cheaper. Give it a look, see what you think.

So far... that's a pretty good deal! Think I may be doing some business with them over the weekend (unless something else better pops up between now and Sunday)! Thanks man!... by the way... WELCOME! There's some REAL GOOD info on this site...
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Postby Saabman » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:13 am

I bought some Eagles from Gainesville on Friday. They seems like good folks and the price was better than most I saw on line. and the $5 off didn't hurt either.
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:23 am

Saabman wrote:I bought some Eagles from Gainesville on Friday. They seems like good folks and the price was better than most I saw on line. and the $5 off didn't hurt either.

Ditto. This got me off the fence. I almost considered driving up there to get them but frankly with the price of gas the shipping was still cheaper. I ordered a reasonable number, but saved a little ammo in case we get another drop on Monday/Tuesday - in which case I'm in for more.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Lemon Thrower » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:52 am

tulving has them 2.79 over with free shipping if you buy 500, lol.

golden state mint has 1 oz rounds for about a buck over.
Lets Go Brandon!
Lemon Thrower
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:00 am

Lemon Thrower wrote:tulving has them 2.79 over with free shipping if you buy 500, lol.

golden state mint has 1 oz rounds for about a buck over.

Well sure, for that kind of money free shipping is pretty common. ;) But I think I'll buy my monster box this year a few rolls at at time. :)
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:58 am

Definitely not at APMEX or Goldline. The premiums they ask for gold bullion coins is some of the highest I've seen.

Tulving's premiums cannot be beat if on larger amounts and 90% junk bags.

APMEX is a little better on their raw, pre-1933 gold coins than most others.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby franklin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:55 am

I was not aware of Goldmart. Premiums are quite low; their prices on 90% is .19 over spot. A hundred dollar face value of halves is over $300 less than the same amt. of halves from Apmex. Can;t figure what shipping charges are on CC orders, however, without adding to a cart. Might look into it.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:04 pm

Only caution on dealing with bagged 90% is that you verify you are at least getting it by weight. Probability is you will end up with a mix of full weight and underweight coins that average to the accepted nominal of just under 99% full weight (715/723ths). If you don't get at least that assurance then you will have no idea what you are getting.
68Camaro

Postby franklin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:10 pm

Since the price difference was a bit over 12%, I figure Kennedy halves will be the way to go.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:21 pm

Payment info:

AMPEX accepts credit cards (no amex), personal checks and bank wire.

Gainsville accepts credit cards (no amex) and bank wire.

Tulving only accepts bank wire.

These are the dealers I have the most experience with. They have never disappointed me.
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Coppercrazy » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:04 pm

Uhhh I guess it depends where youre at,but my prefered way is local coin shops-first off its a cash transaction...im wondering what hes got in since the big drop,he'll always turn stuff right over for spot or a small premium depending what it is.
Coppercrazy
Penny Pincher Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 am

It's 1:25 AM Eastern on Sunday morning. I just pulled up Gainesville, Provident, Kitco, and APMEX, and Kitco was the cheapest (35.28), followed by Provident (35.62), Gainesville (35.99) and APMEX (36.53).
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby jmoney » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:20 am

I did a little research on Gold mart and found some bad reviews https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=90162
jmoney

Postby Double3 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:46 am

jmoney wrote:I did a little research on Gold mart and found some bad reviews https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=90162

You get what you order. Unless you are looking to flip its not a big deal IMO.

I've heard a lot of good reviews.

My friend ordered a bunch of gold not to long ago.

I was going to order some silver Friday but you can't order anything right now. Cart is messed up or they are not selling.

Bad thing is that I had a order in the cart around 3:00 before I left work. Decided to buy a couple hours later and it wasn't working. :x
Double3
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:59 am

Well just got a confirming email from Gainesville that the've rec'd my payment and will notify me upon shipment, which is supposed to be no more than 7-10 business days. So I'm locked in at Friday's close. Plus premium and cc fee - which isn't small, but still gets me silver 10 bucks less than last week, and adds to the hoard.
68Camaro

Postby franklin » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:02 am

Texas Precious Metals still has a pretty reasonable premium. Gainesville's premium on Austrian Philharmonics almost doubled overnight.
franklin
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:05 pm

Right... Sure you are...

Gainesville Coins is currently performing routine updates to the website in an effort to improve your shopping experience. We apologize for any inconvenience. If you need assistance, please contact a member of our staff at 813.482.9300.

The website will be down from 6:00 PM September 25, 2011 - 9:00 AM EST September 26, 2011.

© 2011 Gainesville Coins, Inc.
68Camaro

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:51 pm

franklin wrote:Texas Precious Metals still has a pretty reasonable premium. Gainesville's premium on Austrian Philharmonics almost doubled overnight.

Thanks for the ref. Created an account and placed an order with them tonight. A buck cheaper (almost) per than yesterday from Gainesville.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:38 pm

68Camaro wrote:
franklin wrote:Texas Precious Metals still has a pretty reasonable premium. Gainesville's premium on Austrian Philharmonics almost doubled overnight.

Thanks for the ref. Created an account and placed an order with them tonight. A buck cheaper (almost) per than yesterday from Gainesville.

What the hey! Those guys are about 10 minutes from my home. I'll check them out mañana.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:51 am

I'd like to keep this thread alive. Folks, as you find people continuing to supply silver, please report that here, who, how, along with the terms. You don't have to report that you actually bought, or how much, but as you find people willing to supply, that will guide those that want to jump in, as well as give us a better idea if physical is actually still available, and if so, how.
68Camaro

Postby shinnosuke » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:09 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

What the hey! Those guys are about 10 minutes from my home. I'll check them out mañana.

Just went by. It's only the office. Inventory is in Shiner, TX, about 1.5 hours from here. Might be a good side trip during the February get together. They only put items on their website if they have in stock. Tarek, a manager there, says he would be glad to give us a tour. This company is owned by a family that made a fortune in barbed wire 100+ years ago.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby 68Camaro » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:06 pm

shinnosuke wrote:
68Camaro wrote:

What the hey! Those guys are about 10 minutes from my home. I'll check them out mañana....

Just went by. It's only the office. Inventory is in Shiner, TX, about 1.5 hours from here. Might be a good side trip during the February get together. They only put items on their website if they have in stock. Tarek, a manager there, says he would be glad to give us a tour. This company is owned by a family that made a fortune in barbed wire 100+ years ago.

Hmmm, could get a brewery tour AND a bullion seller tour in one day. That could kick me off the fence on coming... ;)
68Camaro

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals