Walk me through it

Discussions about scrap yards, scrap yard prices, melting, refining, and obtaining metals from scrap or unconventional sources.

Walk me through it

Postby Morsecode » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:48 pm

I've never been to a scrapyard so some of this may sound naive :D

Let's suppose it's June 30, 2014, a couple months after the gov't decided to officially lift the melt ban on copper cents. If a person showed up at their local yard with say 250 lbs of sorted cents, how would the buyer know whether the coins were in fact pre-'82? There could potentially be a lot of room for error in that many coins I would think.

Would they have to be counted by them and then weighed?

Just curious...
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Re: Walk me through it

Postby Dr. Cadmium » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:23 pm

If you've never been to a scrapyard, you shouldn't just walk into one with a large quantity of hard-earned non-ferrous metal.

That's asking to get taken advantage of.

The first step is to find out what yards are in your area. The yellowpages are a good start.

Next is to call on the phone and ask for prices on basic materials.

Third step is to scout each yard. Bring in some small amounts of different metals and see which one prices better, sorts better, or has better service.

Being a regular customer at a yard will generally get you better prices and better service when it comes time to sell your more valuable metals.

Pennies: I'm curious about how a typical scrapyard will be able to tell a bucket of copper from zinc from mixed. My guess is density would be the way to go, using a more accurate scale than most basic yards have now. Other methods would be too slow. This is where being a regular (honest!) customer comes in - if you routinely bring in well-sorted loads, your buckets of pennies will be less-scrutinized.
Dr. Cadmium
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby messymessy » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:02 am

I suspect that not all scrap yards would accept pennies for scrap. Only the scrap yards with the special equipment to tell zinc pennies from copper would pay top dollar. Other scrapyards might pay a lot less than #1 copper for pennies, and base that price on the value of zinc pennies.
messymessy
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Kurr » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:41 am

IF the melt ban were lifted, I would take in my shiny bars that USED TO BE cents, and they could hit it with the tester.

No melt law anymore, right?
KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE ... UBLICS.pdf
Good reading: Frederic Bastiat "The Law" http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears
Kurr

Postby mtalbot_ca » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:08 pm

Kurr wrote:IF the melt ban were lifted, I would take in my shiny bars that USED TO BE cents, and they could hit it with the tester.

No melt law anymore, right?

Good point,

Would it be better to have it refined or melted first or directly and get them tranformed into bars? or maybe you it would cost too much.
Common sense should prevail if not, misery will.
mtalbot_ca
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby PennyBoy » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:41 am

messymessy wrote:I suspect that not all scrap yards would accept pennies for scrap. Only the scrap yards with the special equipment to tell zinc pennies from copper would pay top dollar. Other scrapyards might pay a lot less than #1 copper for pennies, and base that price on the value of zinc pennies.

Just curious, doesn't anyone think they will classify pre 82s as brass? Which in turn in less than copper.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:22 am

A quick rough estimate of weight of outstanding copper pennies is on the order of 300,000 TONS. If the melt ban goes away, and price of copper remains up, there will be people setting up special lines to process pennys, and no matter what you call them, you will get a higher percentage of melt than the local scrap yard would offer, assuming you can get them to the processor.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro

Postby PennyBoy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 pm

68Camaro wrote:A quick rough estimate of weight of outstanding copper pennies is on the order of 300,000 TONS. If the melt ban goes away, and price of copper remains up, there will be people setting up special lines to process pennys, and no matter what you call them, you will get a higher percentage of melt than the local scrap yard would offer, assuming you can get them to the processor.

Quick, someone register PennyScrapper.com! Yes, as of this post, it is available for all you domainers out there.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby fasTT » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 pm

Kurr has it right.

Melt into bars of what would be considered number 1 brass and sell to the highest bidder.
fasTT
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby PennyBoy » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:34 pm

fasTT wrote:Kurr has it right.

Melt into bars of what would be considered number 1 brass and sell to the highest bidder.

Unfortunately, we're not all as talented as Kurr. :cry: I'll guess I'll just be selling my pennies as scrap. Unless of course Kurr becomes a buyer. ;)

PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Return to Scrap Metal Salvage