If it keeps dropping... where will the PHYSICAL bottom be?

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

If it keeps dropping... where will the PHYSICAL bottom be?

Postby Pennybug » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:12 pm

I read lots on here about folks saying "were at the bottom"... others... "$15 to $25". Me? I say we will see a short period of $22 or so. BUT... what will the PHYSICAL bottom be for the stackers? I HIGHLY doubt that EVEN IF silver hits $22 for a short time... that you will be able to FIND much (IF ANY) physical silver at that price. Eagles? Where's the bottom there? I'd say about $30. I'd be surprised if we ever see eagles go for under $30 EVER AGAIN. Have you noticed that Morgans are holding at about $30? I'd say that's their bottom. 90% dimes and etc? That may come close to tracking spot... but it will be getting gobbled up so fast (and going to refineries as it goes back up) by the short holders that it will be next to impossible to find it. I suspect that good condition merc and roseies will be pretty collectable after the big melt winds down.
Pennybug
Penny Collector Member

Re: If it keeps dropping... where will the PHYSICAL bottom b

Postby natsb88 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:21 pm

I sold about 20 ounces of silver today at $43 - $44, and another 20 or so at the beginning of the week for $45 - $46. This was all stuff I bought for $42-$43 so I wasn't going to drop my prices any lower. As it turns out, I didn't need to :D The demand for physical is still strong, and some people aren't very worried about a short-term drop in the paper price.
natsb88
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby schockergd » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:26 pm

I sold a bunch of 90% US coins today for $48 per ounce!

Physical from what I can tell has gone through the ROOF.
schockergd
Penny Pincher Member

Postby RichardPenny43 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Last edited by RichardPenny43 on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardPenny43
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby No82s » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 pm

Sorry but anyone paying in the 40s for physical is either crazy or without internet. Just my 2 cents (coppers of course).
No82s
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:18 pm

$30 bottom for Morgans?

I have a few rolls or so I can turn to you at $27xface ;) ............... 8-)
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby NHsorter » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Where are you guys selling stuff for so much? Craigslist?
“They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety” Benjamin Franklin
NHsorter
Super Post Hoarder

Postby beauanderos » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:16 pm

NHsorter wrote:Where are you guys selling stuff for so much? Craigslist?

probably listed on ebay and noobies got into a bidding war over it.
The Hand of God moves WorldsImage
beauanderos

Postby morris14ccm » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:38 pm

beauanderos wrote:
NHsorter wrote:Where are you guys selling stuff for so much? Craigslist?

probably listed on ebay and noobies got into a bidding war over it.

It's amazing how much they are willing to pay on eBay. anyone looking to sell should try eBid, their fees are so much lower.
morris14ccm
Penny Sorter Member

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 pm

natsb88 wrote:I sold about 20 ounces of silver today at $43 - $44, and another 20 or so at the beginning of the week for $45 - $46. This was all stuff I bought for $42-$43 so I wasn't going to drop my prices any lower. As it turns out, I didn't need to :D The demand for physical is still strong, and some people aren't very worried about a short-term drop in the paper price.

There must some info missing here. If you can sell silver ounces at those prices, you should mortgage everything you own and just buy/sell silver. You'll make a flippin' killin'!

For example, how much would you pay me for 100 ASEs that you can turn around and sell for $44 each? PM me if you prefer.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 pm

schockergd wrote:I sold a bunch of 90% US coins today for $48 per ounce!

Physical from what I can tell has gone through the ROOF.

There must some info missing here. If you can sell silver ounces at those prices, you should mortgage everything you own and just buy/sell silver. You'll make a flippin' killin'!

For example, how much would you pay me for 100 ASEs that you can turn around and sell for $44 each? PM me if you prefer.
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby natsb88 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 am

shinnosuke wrote:
natsb88 wrote:I sold about 20 ounces of silver today at $43 - $44, and another 20 or so at the beginning of the week for $45 - $46. This was all stuff I bought for $42-$43 so I wasn't going to drop my prices any lower. As it turns out, I didn't need to :D The demand for physical is still strong, and some people aren't very worried about a short-term drop in the paper price.

I can't afford to buy 100 ASEs :lol: I prefer private mints anyway, I don't do much with ASEs, Maples, etc. This was all Engelhard, Johnson-Matthey, and Rodebaugh. These are sales to regular customers, several overseas, through my website. A few asked me if I would be dropping my prices any further because of the dip, but I said I would not on my current inventory due to what I had into it. They bought anyway. Now I can start grabbing some cheaper stuff, and maybe drop my prices a little bit...

BUT, you have to take the good with the bad. I also had a new customer order a 1 kilogram silver bar when silver was around $40, and then file a credit card chargeback against me a few days later when silver was about $10 cheaper. Not a classy move, and a pain to deal with on my end.
natsb88

Postby appjoe » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:38 pm

No82s wrote:Sorry but anyone paying in the 40s for physical is either crazy or without internet. Just my 2 cents (coppers of course).

I agree
appjoe
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby njoElec » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:20 pm

I dumped all of my coppers so I could buy some ASE's - paid 33.00 for 15oz.
njoElec
Penny Sorter Member

Postby Hades12 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:51 pm

njoElec wrote:I dumped all of my coppers so I could buy some ASE's - paid 33.00 for 15oz.

Here I am thinking about dumping Silver to buy Copper.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby barrytrot » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:20 pm

Hades12 wrote:
njoElec wrote:I dumped all of my coppers so I could buy some ASE's - paid 33.00 for 15oz.

Here I am thinking about dumping Silver to buy Copper.

I would keep both if I were you too. A little diversification is good :)
barrytrot

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals