Scored a 14k gold broach at yard sale for 50 cents

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Scored a 14k gold broach at yard sale for 50 cents

Postby Pennysaved » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:25 pm

Went to my yard sales today and found a broach that looked gold but I could not find any marking of 10k, 14k, etc

Figured I would take a chance and offered the woman 50 cents.

Took it to my local coin shop and it tested for 14k; ended up weighing over 4 grams
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Re: Scored a 14k gold broach at yard sale for 50 cents

Postby neilgin1 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:46 pm

so 4 gms is a seventh of a toz right?.....which means like what? $250?...wow! nice job, fooling some poor down on her luck woman outta grocery money for the week......I'M KIDDING YOU!!!!....seriously kidding you, i couldnt resist. Thats kind of shocking though, how some folk are so unaware...telling you, when the boom comes down, it's gonna get downright weird, when people realize what they thought was of value, AIN'T....and what they thought was of little significance, was the margin between destitution and getting by.

so being able to buy 4 gms of AU for fifty cent, must mean we're NOT in hard times YET, d'ya think?

crazy as this sounds, i buy 1 gallon jugs of apple cider, or juice, and wash out the jug and save them all. i also like buying Maxwell House coffee, coz i save every can, its sturdy blue plastic, and with a click tight lid. they're great containers for coins, nuts, whatever---benefits of being raised by my Depression era grandmother, who's idea of "bank" was a coffee can...hidden and stashed of course. You know what else people throw out a lot?, they throw out planting pots, platsic AND clay...also they throw out so much WOOD, that can be used for either building or burning. its insanity.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby TXBullion » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:48 pm

4 grams of 14 k. So 4 grams of 58% pure gold :)
TXBullion
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Pennysaved » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:50 pm

Yeah more near $100 but still not bad for 50 cents :)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:30 pm

That is a good buy, Send her some more cash, Mail it . You got a good deal and she will be better off.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby balz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:54 pm

Hades12 wrote:That is a good buy, Send her some more cash, Mail it . You got a good deal and she will be better off.

I agree. I think you should give her about 20% of the money you got. This is the right thing to do.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Thogey » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

You can pocket the money and drive on without being wrong. You don't owe anyone anything. She put it out for sale and you bought for what she wanted. If you want to give your money away then give it away.

David you are not right or wrong by taking your full profit. You didn't rip anyone off or screw anyone.

The broach was not marked and you thought 'what the hell'.

Guys don't make it sound like he jobbed some indigent widow out of her gold. She might have been a total shrew who deserves jack!
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby balz » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Well, whatever he decides, I think it should be the right decision. We were not there to see how things turned out. Maybe he did take a risk buying this broach so maybe he deserves to get paid for that risk. Whatever.
balz
Penny Collector Member

Postby Hades12 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:36 pm

I was not saying he was wrong in any way, Money is his. But carma comes back when you need it most.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby cesariojpn » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Hades12 wrote:I was not saying he was wrong in any way, Money is his. But Karma comes back when you need it most.
cesariojpn
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Pennysaved » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:07 pm

It is kind of hard to go back and give her money when I don't even know where the house is

I go to 20 or more yard sales on a Saturday throughout Phoenix and Scottsdale; this was actually a sale in central Scottsdale; this was an upper middle class family. So did not take advantage of some little old widow.

I wasn't intentionally screwing her; I have bought things marked sterling or 14k that turned out to be fake; this was not even marked 10k or 14k just looked gold to me.

Only way I could be 100% sure is if I have a traveling testing kit.

Sorry if I caused a stir on here; just sharing my good news. Just like the scores people find at the bank.
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Hades12 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:12 pm

No stir. Never though you had set out to "do her".

Nice score.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:54 pm

Relish the cool grab.......you burnt the gas.......you have the skills.....you took the risk......it paid off.

Conga-rats Pennysaved..... enjoy this homerun as they are few and far between.
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:19 am

Pennysaved wrote:It is kind of hard to go back and give her money when I don't even know where the house is

I go to 20 or more yard sales on a Saturday throughout Phoenix and Scottsdale; this was actually a sale in central Scottsdale; this was an upper middle class family. So did not take advantage of some little old widow.

I wasn't intentionally screwing her; I have bought things marked sterling or 14k that turned out to be fake; this was not even marked 10k or 14k just looked gold to me.

Sorry if I caused a stir on here; just sharing my good news. Just like the scores people find at the bank.

i was teasing you......free market.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby Saabman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:56 am

Great score Pennysaved!!!!! WTG!!!!!!!
Cerca Trova!!!

Happiness does not depend on what you have or who you are. It solely relies on what you think.
-Sid
Saabman
Post Hoarder

Postby Pennysaved » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:48 pm

neilgin1 wrote:
Pennysaved wrote:It is kind of hard to go back and give her money when I don't even know where the house is

i was teasing you......free market.

Well glad you were teasing :-)
Pennysaved
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:07 pm

If it was marked 14k and he paid $25 for it and it tested out to be fake should he go back and ask for his money back? He bought it on a hunch. It turned out to be worth WAY more than he paid for it. Good for him. Who knows where that lady got it from. She might have found it on the ground.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby uthminsta » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:31 pm

Was just visiting my in-laws and my mother-in-law had some coins her uncle had when he died. As the executor of his estate, she held on to them, and I bought them. Some Peace dollars and a Morgan... some 90 and 40 percent silver halves... quarters... dimes... an 1857 Flying Eagle cent, an 1876 Seated Liberty quarter. Some Ikes, some currency. Ended up giving her $400, then silver tanked. I laughed that she should give me back some of the money, and if only I had bought it ONE day later...

I had also taken her uncle's high school class ring, and the back plate of an antique gold pocket watch. Turns out they were both 10k, tested both at the local coin shop. I really didn't expect the watch piece to be gold...

My wife called her, and she said go ahead and keep them both, since silver went down so much! Nearly $200 total worth of gold... sweet prize!
uthminsta

Postby moneydog » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:57 pm

Pennysaved wrote:Went to my yard sales today and found a broach that looked gold but I could not find any marking of 10k, 14k, etc

Figured I would take a chance and offered the woman 50 cents.

Took it to my local coin shop and it tested for 14k; ended up weighing over 4 grams

nice buy
moneydog
Penny Pincher Member

Postby NotABigDeal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:01 pm

You did nothing wrong and you don't owe anybody anything. Sleep well knowing you did well....

Deal
I plead the 2nd....

Control your kids and your crazy ass relatives, leave my guns alone.

TTS 10/30/60-10/25/13 Dad.
NotABigDeal

Postby Morsecode » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:06 pm

I say you paid too much :D

Now if I tried that it would turn out to be spray painted brass.
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals