Bars or coins

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

Bars or coins

Postby needler420 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:54 pm

Which do prefer? :?: :twisted:
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Re: Bars or coins

Postby PennyBoy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:56 pm

coins or rounds due to ease of familiarity.
When people lose everything, and have nothing left to lose, they lose it.-Gerald Celente

My feedback: http://realcent.org/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8534

Happiness is the key to success.
PennyBoy
Penny Collector Member

Postby rexmerdinus » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:39 am

I do some of each, each for their own reasons.

I like bars because it's a convenient way to store value that is independent of FRN's. I do them in 10-oz. increments because a.) it's what I can afford, a few at a time, and b.) they stack nicely when they're all the same square size and shape.

I like coins primarily as a hedge against the possibility of a "zombie apocalypse" situation. Coins are small, portable (read: concealable in a pocket), incremental and (ignorong wear and tear) guaranteed in their metal content as "coins of the realm," making them convenient for trade or barter on a daily basis where a 10-oz. bar would be inconvenient. Also, if precious metals get confiscated and you don't surrender yours, and then the Gubbment comes a-knocking, your coins are just coins with a face value equal to the same ones minted yesterday. They're not an investment or a hoard, they're just coins you found in your change and set aside because they looked a little funny or something--no violation of law there. Though I'm sure they could find one...
My beer and homebrewing blog: http://alemongery.blogspot.com
My wine and winemaking blog: http://connoisseurscorner.blogspot.com
rexmerdinus
Penny Collector Member

Postby needler420 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:03 am

rexmerdinus wrote:I do some of each, each for their own reasons.

I like bars because it's a convenient way to store value that is independent of FRN's. I do them in 10-oz. increments because a.) it's what I can afford, a few at a time, and b.) they stack nicely when they're all the same square size and shape.

I like coins primarily as a hedge against the possibility of a "zombie apocalypse" situation. Coins are small, portable (read: concealable in a pocket), incremental and (ignorong wear and tear) guaranteed in their metal content as "coins of the realm," making them convenient for trade or barter on a daily basis where a 10-oz. bar would be inconvenient. Also, if precious metals get confiscated and you don't surrender yours, and then the Gubbment comes a-knocking, your coins are just coins with a face value equal to the same ones minted yesterday. They're not an investment or a hoard, they're just coins you found in your change and set aside because they looked a little funny or something--no violation of law there. Though I'm sure they could find one...

What do you think of 1 ounce bars? I was thinking of getting the randoms from provident for the lowest premium.
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:37 am

Develop your own rationale that makes sense for you personally, for your situation.

For me, and possibly many others:

• focus is on coins, split between the major recognized 1 oz silver coins and full-weight AU to BU US 90% halves
    • In 1-oz coins: Major focus is ASE. Minor focus on Maples. Tertiary amount of Libertads.
    • In US 90%: , Major focus is 90% full-weight halves, especially 64 JFKs. Secondary significant position in full-weight quarters and dimes, for use as "change".
  • secondary to coins, some of the major 1-oz bullion mint rounds
  • tertiary to coins, a few .999 bullion bars of various sizes
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby needler420 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 am

68Camaro wrote:Develop your own rationale that makes sense for you personally, for your situation.

For me, and possibly many others:

• focus is on coins, split between the major recognized 1 oz silver coins and full-weight AU to BU US 90% halves
    • In 1-oz coins: Major focus is ASE. Minor focus on Maples. Tertiary amount of Libertads.
    • In US 90%: , Major focus is 90% full-weight halves, especially 64 JFKs. Secondary significant position in full-weight quarters and dimes, for use as "change".
  • secondary to coins, some of the major 1-oz bullion mint rounds
  • tertiary to coins, a few .999 bullion bars of various sizes

I'm from central FL also. :P
needler420
Penny Sorter Member

Postby 68Camaro » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:54 am

Well welcome, needler. I'm on the northeast side, in south seminole. Don't know if you're a penny sorter, but I dump at TD bank (now), so don't think we will have any territorial issues. I know there are other local sorters out there of various types - I run into their signs from time to time - but haven't actually met any.
In the game of Woke, the goal posts can be moved at any moment, the penalties will apply retroactively and claims of fairness will always lose out to the perpetual right to claim offense.... Bret Stephens
The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it. George Orwell.
We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Ayn Rand.
68Camaro
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Mossy » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:47 pm

Something I realized going through T&A in Seattle: Gold coins probably look a lot like clads on the x-ray, so the T&A crowd will probably leave them alone (small amounts, anyhow). Bars will show up as something to be investigated.
Mossy
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby IdahoCopper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:09 pm

I looked at a 10.12 TrOz ingot today. It was roughly poured, stamped with a logo, .999 silver, and the weight. I offered the guy 80% of spot, and he turned it down. He said he would call me back i he changed his mind.

But from him I did get some old silver US coins, eight .999 standard 1oz rounds, a 1oz rectangle, and two small thick 1oz rounds, for $445; it was 14.74 TrOz, at $19.75/oz. From my craigslist ad offering 23x face.
- - - -
IdahoCopper
Post Hoarder

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals