100 ounce Silver Bars

This forum is for discussing hunting and collecting US and Canadian circulation Silver Bullion Coins, other types of minted bullion, and other types of precious and base metal investments other than Bullion Pennies and Nickels.

Please Note: These articles are to inform your thinking, not lead it. Only you can decide the best place for your money, and any decision you make will put your money at risk. Information or data included here may have already been overtaken by events – and must be verified elsewhere – should you choose to act on it.

100 ounce Silver Bars

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 pm

So I don't have any and I am looking to grab one and place it into long term storage. I know about the flexibility of one ouncers and don’t care to be reminded of that. I am just curious to see what other folks like in 100 ounce bars.

What bars do you guys like? I have looked them over hard and think I like the make and style of bar that the Royal Canadian Mint is putting out there. The Poured Johnson Mathey Bars are pretty nice as well. I don't care for the perfect edge milled Engelhards but I do like the Academy stackers. Thoughts?
This space for rent. :)
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Re: 100 ounce Silver Bars

Postby barrytrot » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:44 pm

Here is what I do NOT like about the 100 ounce bars. They aren't "packaged" in any thing. So they are constantly HANDLED by people.

I'm not worried about them being un-clean or something I am worried about them getting a little silver rubbed off!

Probably infinitesimal, but if you have a tube of coins no one ever touches they never get rubbed.

Just my thoughts.

On the plus side a 100 ounce bar on your desk might double as a club in a robbery scenario.
Last edited by barrytrot on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
barrytrot
Too Busy Posting to Hoard Anything Else

Postby Thogey » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:45 pm

Why do want 100oz bars?
If I have the gift of prophesy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to move mountains but do not have love I am nothing. And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned but do not have love it profits me nothing.
Thogey

Postby Hades12 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:53 pm

Paint it brick Color and use it as a door stop. Remember the covers people put bricks in to make a door stop, No one would ever look.
Hades12
Penny Collector Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Thogey wrote:Why do want 100oz bars?

I don't have one......never had one......always wanted one.

I'm not looking to buy one tomorrow......just looking them over for when the time is right.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby neilgin1 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

I'm not looking to buy one tomorrow......just looking them over for when the time is right.

do it, wish i had the dough, someday that bar will be used in a BIG purchase, bottom land, a herd of milkers, a dairy parlor, and a cheese factory...then you're IN production.....its all going to be about food, water and warmth. and the servicing of those endeavors.
neilgin1
Post Hoarder

Postby chris6084 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:07 pm

I hear a lot of these getting hollowed out and filled with worthless metal. I would not take the risk. Just my opinion.
chris6084
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:17 pm

I saw a video where a fella did the "ping test" on some 100oz-ers and had some RCM he thought were hollowed and filled.

I've got a 10oz RCM bar and I don't worry about it getting worn down. Its barely moved since I bought it in the summer of 1993. Long term storage sounds like just the place for a big bar and I sure would like to have one myself. Just be careful, keep in mind the fake reports.
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:19 pm

tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby tractorman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:23 pm

Here's a discussion from the Kitco forum.

https://www.kitcomm.com/showthread.php?t=73206
tractorman
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:31 pm

chris6084 wrote:I hear a lot of these getting hollowed out and filled with worthless metal. I would not take the risk. Just my opinion.

I've seen one in person.....cut in half it had 3 lead tubes in the center. The bad guys like to do this to Engelhards.....should be just fine with stackers, RCM, or JM.
Rodebaugh
Realcent Moderator

Postby Tantalar » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:36 pm

IMO there is no reason other than being a glutton to buy a 100 oz silver bar. The ONLY reason you would ever buy a 100 oz bar is if you were planning on having tens of thousands of ounces of silver, as a side venture, like if you were a billionaire OR if you used it for industrial purposes... Nobody wants to buy one and if they do they will offer less than they would if they were 1 ounce bars. 1 ounce bars are the way to go by far. I could see getting a 5 ounce or maybe 10 ounce bar but even with 10 ounce bars some people get squeamish. I guess if that rock star status feeling is that important than go for it. Then again, just owning any silver makes me feel that way lol!
If you love antiques, vintage, advertising material, goodwill hunting, gold, silver, and buying and selling on Ebay and Amazon, then you should check out my youtube channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/PickingProfits?feature=mhee

"The man who buys cheap laughs once, but cries many times. The man who buys expensive cries once, but laughs many"
"That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest." — Henry David Thoreau
Tantalar
Penny Pincher Member

Postby Corsair » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:51 pm

Tape ten 10-ozs together.

Untape when selling.

????????

Profit.
"Now watch what you say or they'll be calling you a radical, a liberal, fanatical, criminal. Won't you sign up your name, we'd like to feel you're acceptable, respectable, presentable, a vegetable."
Corsair
Post Hoarder

Postby Cu Penny Hoarder » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 pm

Corsair wrote:Tape ten 10-ozs together.

Untape when selling.

????????

Profit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Time is precious, stop wasting it.
Cu Penny Hoarder
Post Hoarder

Postby Treetop » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:39 pm

You could pour your own rodebaugh 100 ouncer perhaps??? You would know dang sure there was no lead in it....
Treetop
Super Post Hoarder

Postby shinnosuke » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Treetop wrote:You could pour your own rodebaugh 100 ouncer perhaps??? You would know dang sure there was no lead in it....

+1
When in the Course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them... (Thomas Jefferson)
shinnosuke
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Nickelmeister » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:06 pm

Actually 100 oz bars are pretty standard in the industry. Reports of them being tampered with are highly exaggerated in my opinion.
Englehard, JM and RCM are the most liquid brands, but I personally like the Academy stackers (especially if you will end up getting several).
Standing offer: BUYING Canadian junk silver at 90% melt. PM me to lock in price and quantity.
Nickelmeister
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:34 pm

Rodebaugh wrote:

Bought some at $1,700, then sold them at $4,800. Yeah, Rodebaugh, they are very impressive to hold! Buy them up! I like the Englehards best.

BTW, your little "loafs" of silver really reminded me of the old Englehard ten ounce loafs. They are collector items now. ;)
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:38 pm

Tantalar wrote:IMO there is no reason other than being a glutton to buy a 100 oz silver bar. The ONLY reason you would ever buy a 100 oz bar is if you were planning on having tens of thousands of ounces of silver, as a side venture, like if you were a billionaire OR if you used it for industrial purposes... Nobody wants to buy one and if they do they will offer less than they would if they were 1 ounce bars. 1 ounce bars are the way to go by far. I could see getting a 5 ounce or maybe 10 ounce bar but even with 10 ounce bars some people get squeamish. I guess if that rock star status feeling is that important than go for it. Then again, just owning any silver makes me feel that way lol!

Gosh, I guess I should not mention my 1,000 ozt bars, then. :mrgreen:
When I die, I want to go like Grandpa did. He died in his sleep..... Not screaming and hollering like all the passengers in his car.
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby Beau » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:02 am

Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:
Tantalar wrote:IMO there is no reason other than being a glutton to buy a 100 oz silver bar. The ONLY reason you would ever buy a 100 oz bar is if you were planning on having tens of thousands of ounces of silver, as a side venture, like if you were a billionaire OR if you used it for industrial purposes... Nobody wants to buy one and if they do they will offer less than they would if they were 1 ounce bars. 1 ounce bars are the way to go by far. I could see getting a 5 ounce or maybe 10 ounce bar but even with 10 ounce bars some people get squeamish. I guess if that rock star status feeling is that important than go for it. Then again, just owning any silver makes me feel that way lol!

what is wrong with 1,000 OZ bars I have 5 of them all Englehardt.

my old feedback

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=446

Beau
Penny Hoarding Member

Postby Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:31 am

Beau wrote:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay wrote:

what is wrong with 1,000 OZ bars I have 5 of them all Englehardt.

I dunno, but if Tantalar sz bad things about you for owning 100 ozt bars.... well, I can't imagine what he is gonna say when he finds out some of us hold 1,000 ozt bars! :mrgreen:
Sheikh_yer_Bu'Tay
Super Post Hoarder

Postby slickeast » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:52 am

Corsair wrote:Tape ten 10-ozs together.

Untape when selling.

????????

Profit.

I was thinking the same thing. Academy bars would work great.
You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be....... SLICK
slickeast

Postby Morsecode » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:29 am

A 100 oz silver bar is too big? Not hardly. Sure, you may run off the nickel & dime cyber scroungers (myself in this group, sadly) at resale time, but they're easily converted elsewhere.

It's all relative to hoard size. If I had less than 500 oz, not sure I'd need the big loaf. More than that, why not? Credit Suisse bars would be my choice.

Or maybe I'm just sentimental.

My first Ag purchase waaay back was a 100 oz polished Crown Mint bar from Norlin Precious Metals in Port-something, WA. Back then it was either poured Englehard or 90% junk if you wanted to play, so the Crown bar had an exotic appeal :D
Let's Go Brandon Kamala
Morsecode

Postby knibloe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:36 am

If you want one, ignore the nays sayers and go for it.
knibloe
Post Hoarder

Postby Market Harmony » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:07 am

The Academy Stackers have always been my personal favorite when it comes to 100 oz bars. I wish I could do what they do. I've seen video of the process. It's pretty cool.

Also, I would suggest to anybody looking to acquire 100 oz bars to first handle as many as you can, before you buy. Acclimate your senses to what one should look and feel like. There are (very) few fakes for every 1000 that are real. Odds are that you'll get a good one, but knowing what to look for will help to ensure that you do not get cheated. On the sell side, 100 oz bars are more liquid than what some might expect.
Brick and mortar shop: buy, sell, and trade anything precious- coins, bullion, scrap, jewelry, gems, etc.
http://marketharmony.net

Follow me on Twitter- @MarketHarmony
Market Harmony
Super Post Hoarder

Location: 657 Evergreen Ave, First Floor, Pittsburgh, PA 15209

Next

Return to Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals